1960 Burst for sale in germany (010838)

TP6

Reaction score
What is the highest serial number confirmed on a 60 burst?

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I really wonder why the centre seam went so off the median line with these late era Bursts? I can't think of a structural advantage, and Gibson had been executing centre seamed tops and backs for almost a century, so why change then??

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I really wonder why the centre seam went so off the median line with these late era Bursts? I can't think of a structural advantage, and Gibson had been executing centre seamed tops and backs for almost a century, so why change then??
Yuuki, I don't think it's that unusual at all. I've seen a number of bursts...including mine...with off center seams. Here's mine, for example:

Frank

ajory72

Reaction score
I've been wondering that too. That and the Gibson "i" and Les Paul logo placements in different spots on the headstock...

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Frank :) It seems such a fundamental indexing point for the build (at least for us DIY types!), that a wandering centre seam with as much as 1/2" toward the treble side seems very sloppy! I wonder if it was as simple as the joined billets were held in some kind of press-fit jig that had some play in the clamping system that let the centre line shift a touch? I wonder when we'll see replicas with this detail? ;)

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@ajory72 I think as the dots and silkscreen were applied by hand, there's a range of positions according to the worker on the day..

Sharky

Reaction score
I wonder if it was as simple as the joined billets were held in some kind of press-fit jig that had some play in the clamping system that let the centre line shift a touch?
that's exactly what I was thinking. The glued compound is in a rectengular shape and will be clamped for a day or so and since this was all done by hand and position eyeballed, a slight shift of the centerseam is more than likely to happen. Or maybe on the next step when the block was cut into shape

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Frank :) It seems such a fundamental indexing point for the build (at least for us DIY types!), that a wandering centre seam with as much as 1/2" toward the treble side seems very sloppy! I wonder if it was as simple as the joined billets were held in some kind of press-fit jig that had some play in the clamping system that let the centre line shift a touch? I wonder when we'll see replicas with this detail? ;)
If they carved the tops at all like they do today, they do have the ability to move the template around to pick the best spot on the blank, avoid knots etc.

I think this is far more common with the tops than the silkscreen. I don't think I've seen any noticeable variance in silk screen placement...until I saw that burst yesterday in the other thread. That truly looks "weird" to me. I'll admit, I could be wrong, however.