1959 Gibson Les Paul Special: A restoration journey

none2low

Reaction score
The Historic Makeovers kit is more money for the same pots and caps as what I linked.

Here is a link for the Switchcraft switch and coarse knurl nut you want - Switchcraft 3 way

When I spoke to Kim about doing my '59 LP Special I got the same impression. He didn't really seem interested in doing a TV yellow refin on it. He also told me they wouldn't do the wood work, so I'd need to have that taken care of before I sent it to them.

none2low

Reaction score
btw - The Stewmac kits you linked have the wrong type switch. You need the right angle one for your Special. The one in the Stewmac kit would be for a single cut special.

stilwel

Reaction score
You can also buy adapter bushings that allow the more narrow vintage strip tuners to sit nicely in the larger holes. Pretty easy to age those to look appropriate and with a minimum of expense.

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
That should work, but keep in mind those pots appear to be standard CTS 500k (probably 20% tolerance) so could be as low as 400k - They also don't specify if they are audio taper or linear taper.

IMO there are better options, but it comes down to what you want. If you don't want to buy the parts separate maybe check with some of the forum vendors

fernieite

Reaction score
If it was my guitar, I'd probably try to get BCR Greg to do the work.

I'd want some 3 on a plate tuners with aged conversion bushings, (if needed) an aged Mojoaxe wraparound bridge and I'd also go with Luxe bumblebees and these pots...
Vintage Inspired Pickups | Beverly, MA, USA

Last edited:

ED3

Reaction score
Hey Everybody:

I know its been a while but to update:

I am waiting on the remainder of parts to finish this build they are:

a set of kluson tuners, just like the original
wiring harness with bumble bee capacitors (plus jack, switch, etc)
1 custom wound pickup courtesy of Throbak. (after much research, I really like how this will sound with the original p90)

Once these parts are in, I will be reaching out to BCR music to have Greg handle this build. Given the pictures of his restoration work, I think that he seems like the guy to handle this.

Once this is all restored and back to me, a question I have had is what type of amp would be a good compliment to this restored gibson? I understand everyone has their own opinions and what tones we like, but any advice would be appreciated. (sadly sold my only guitar amp years ago haha)

I was thinking about a fender twin reverb, vox ac 15/ac30? any other ideas?

Last edited:

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody:

I know its been a while but to update:

I am waiting on the remainder of parts to finish this build they are:

a set of kluson tuners, just like the original
wiring harness with bumble bee capacitors (plus jack, switch, etc)
1 custom wound pickup courtesy of Throbak. (after much research, I really like how this will sound with the original p90)

Once these parts are in, I will be reaching out to BCR music to have Greg handle this build. Given the pictures of his restoration work, I think that he seems like the guy to handle this.

Once this is all restored and back to me, a question I have had is what type of amp would be a good compliment to this restored gibson? I understand everyone has their own opinions and what tones we like, but any advice would be appreciated. (sadly sold my only guitar amp years ago haha)

I was thinking about a fender twin reverb, vox ac 15/ac30? any other ideas?
What about a tweed Fender Champ? You can perhaps buy a newer handwired one. A Champ along with an EQ pedal can get you a lot of cool sounds.

ED3

Reaction score
Finally got some more parts in today!

Now I'm just waiting on the wiring harness, tuners and a new bridge pickup. It's gonna be a Throbak

IMG_6631.jpg

ED3

Reaction score
IMG_6643.jpg
IMG_6644.jpg
IMG_6645.jpg
IMG_6646.jpg

Throbak came through with a great bridge pickup to complement it. Its rated at 8.8 and will be hotter output than the neck (8.1/8.2)

the harness came in as well and it looks amazing. Wednesday the remainder of the pieces should be in!

ED3

Reaction score
Strap Buttons are in and this Gibson will be sent to BCR Music for Greg this week!

none2low

Reaction score
:applause:Now the long wait begins. I'm sure it'll all be worth it once you have it back from Greg. He does amazing work!!

ED3

Reaction score
That's what I've been told and I've seen pictures of his work, it's amazing

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
The cream pickup looks like a DiMarzio Super Distortion by the way, an great hot pickup
I am willing to bet that is an 80's Dimarzio DLX-1. I have an 80's DLX-1 in the neck position of my '76 Les Paul Deluxe and the P90 Super Distortion in the bridge.

The DLX-1 specs out about 10.5Ω
The P90 Super Distortion is just over 17Ω

To check out the spec on your Dimarzio you'll have to twist the black and white wires togethter, set your mulitmeter at 20Ω , touch the red lead of your mulitmeter to the red wire and the black lead to the green wire to get the reading of it in full humbucker mode. Here is a thread I started here asking how to check the reading on a Dimarzio pickup.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/how-do-i-test-a-dimarzio-dlx-1-pickup-resistance-with-4-conductor-wires.451512/#post-9800178

It seems like the DLX-1's range from around 9.75Ω -10.75Ω and if used in full humbucker mode should balance real well with a stock Gibson P90. Below is a couple pictures of one that is 9.88Ω.

JMP

Reaction score
Figured I would drop a line on this thread.

Hopefully in about 2 months, I should have the Les Paul back. I can't wait to see what it looks like completely finished.
This is exciting! Good things come to those who wait. I hope the guitar is everything you want it to be.

Reactions: ED3

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Cool guitar !
Having a guitar like this gives you a very usable 'play it anywhere' instrument without too much 'all original vintage guitar anxiety'

Reactions: ED3

Latest Threads