1959 gibson es-125

treatb

Reaction score
Let me start out and apologize for posting this on the vintage section for les pauls but i've seen the threads dying a bit over the last few years, and thought that this would be an interesting topic.

on march 25, 2014. i picked up a one owner 1959 gibson es-125 for $1299.00. I took the guitar and gave it the look through. the finish fluoresces under uv/black light, seamlessly, it's had no work(really amazed at how clean it was!), the only damage is a few pick scratches that i am guessing were done by some idiot in the guitar store. the neck is that 59 feel, so nice(swear it is exact to my r9), the frets are lovely and fat, but one of them is lower, so i'll level and crown them in a few months when i get more courage. It doesn't have the original tuner buttons(but that is to be expected). But the pickup didn't fluoresce, so i took the strings off to look at the inside and under the pickup. the body cavity is soooo clean, despite what look like drops of something under the pickup. the two screws that held the bobbin to the plate were green, with what i smelled and thought might have been muriatic acid(aged a few guitars parts and will never forget that smell), but it was faint. the plate had this yellow powder on it. the wiring looks to be original with bee working fine and sounding unbelievably creamy(more so than my R9). IT's just that the braided wire is really clean, almost fresh looking, while the plate is dirty?!?!

Does anyone know why those two screws would be like that when the pole pieces aren't, i'm assuming the screws and plate are different metals and would oxidize different. I called my old teacher, John Reuter at Roberto-venn, and thought that it was the similar problem he was having with his old gretsch country gentlemen, in that the binding is degaussing. but i've also remembered on my old 65 tennessean, that the poles corroded that color the same as the inside of the guitar.

I checked the number on the cover and it was uc-355 if i remember correct, and from what i could find on other forums, that number is wrong for this year. If i'm just being paranoid, i would love to know why the pickup was in the state it was, i'll share the photo i took just after opening it up and being confused., then if any of you would like, i can send more photos of the guitar, it's really immaculate, just wish some kid hadn't of beat on it at the store...

from what i've been told, there are only 40 of this year, and this is number 32. it sounds soo nice, it resonates very well acoustically, and had me wishing i could still play george thorogood through the ac 15….But through my matchless chieftain 4x10, it sounds just :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'll play this guitar off and on through out my years, it's just so nice. and if it isn't original, maybe i'll be able to find an original 59 p90, that'll suit her in the future.

treatb

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if that pickup is vintage, and why it has green on the screws??? please?

RAG7890

Reaction score
From what I can see from the pics the Base Plate & Phillip Screw Heads appear to have some corrosion going on.

It is hard to say without seeing it first hand because a lot of colors get screwed up when we post pics but it does look like corrosion.

Green & White would be a function of a Copper & Zinc based alloys; e.g. Brass.

I actually do not know what old P90 Base Plates are made from as they look different to Vintage Humbuckers.

:cheers:

Actinic

Reaction score
Yes, the pickup is vintage. I would not worry about the tarnishing. Bronze is made up of copper, tin and/or zinc, and as we know, sulfating causes copper to turn green.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Mixing metals is a funny thing.
Dissimilar metals can cause a slight electrical charge that causes corrosion.
Other metals (like zinc and cadmium) are "sacrificial" and will rust instead of the surrounding metals.
I wouldn't be surprised if magnetism affects the situation.
Your stuff is real.
Damn cool gee-tar.

w.izzy

Reaction score
wow... how do you know there were only 40 of 1959?

I have S854 21 and she is a girl magnet

treatb

Reaction score
wow... how do you know there were only 40 of 1959?

I have S854 21 and she is a girl magnet
that's what i was told by the shop, but i'm going to see if i can't find some solid evidence on that. even if i have to call gibson, i understand that es-125's weren't sought after then and they didn't sell many that year, gibson put all it's manufacturing into the les paul, and es-225.

i'm guessing the serial numbers for es-125's end after sXXX #40

treatb

Reaction score
From what I can see from the pics the Base Plate & Phillip Screw Heads appear to have some corrosion going on.

It is hard to say without seeing it first hand because a lot of colors get screwed up when we post pics but it does look like corrosion.

Green & White would be a function of a Copper & Zinc based alloys; e.g. Brass.

I actually do not know what old P90 Base Plates are made from as they look different to Vintage Humbuckers.

:cheers:
i meant if it is original. weren't the wires cloth back in 59? and these are braided, its getting harder and harder to research information online these day. on vintage guitars info, it says the es135 wasn't made in 59? but i find many online, can anyone verify this?

TheX

And then?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No info for you, but I thought it was a good opportunity to show my '58.

treatb

Reaction score
No info for you, but I thought it was a good opportunity to show my '58.

cool, thanks for the share! if you are willing please share some pictures of the pup, wiring, and pots while you would have it out. hell i can wait till you have to change the strings :)

how is the neck on yours? my 59 has the identical neck of my r9, and its perfect for my hands.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Weren't the wires cloth back in 59? And these are braided, its getting harder and harder to research information online these day.

If you were to look under the braided shield you find/see the cloth insulation for the other wire..

Latest Threads