1958 Les Paul Special at Goodwill

no jimmy p

Reaction score
about 6 years ago , a friend found a '59 Melody Maker at the local Goodwill Store. there was a '65 J-45 there at the same time ; he saw someone carrying it around in their cart. the guy wanted both but had to make that fiscal choice .

Pop1655

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donator needs to claim a 5800 deduction

judson

Reaction score
Trogly reviewed....

i would have paid $6k to $7k for that.....as a keeper for me, get it playable again is always my goal.

.he wont get hurt on it no matter what the inside looks like

but some of those auctions get carried away...i always just forget to look there

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m probably in the minority but always a bit bummed to see these go to resellers, got nothing against them they seem like cool dudes but still, would of loved to hear this getting restored & played instead of maybe being circulated to the same groups of people.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve watched Matthew Scott’s channel for a while and he really appreciates old gear.. he’s restored a vintage Firebird 1 that had a neck pickup added earlier in its life.. since originality was gone on it he had refinished and it sounds great.. especially through his ‘59 Bassman 410..

He’s more of a Fender guy but he has a few Gibsons.. 50s double cut junior, and non reverse Firebird, and most recently the Firebird 1.

I’m looking forward to see what becomes of this one.. the bridge pickup is really microphonic sadly. Maybe it can be fixed and kept in the guitar.

Hogie34

Reaction score
I'd like to know where that guy gets his money.
Start with the main things. No wife, no kids.

91k subscribers
Most videos see between 60k and half a million views and he’s got a regular full time job. The kid is hustling to get the things in life he wants. Not sitting around like most people wondering why they can’t seem to afford the same things ( better put the disclaimer in -that statement wasn’t directed at you).
Ad revenue on YouTube can be extremely lucrative, especially if you have a regular full time job on top of it that pays the regular bills. When you start getting over 10k subscribers and as many views as he does, the money is there . Plus, he’s said he makes sacrifices in other areas when there’s something he wants but can’t afford it. No going out to eat, no movies, Top Ramen every night .
Just goes to show, there is hope for that generation and that there are kids willing to work their asses off to achieve their goals.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Plus, he’s said he makes sacrifices in other areas when there’s something he wants but can’t afford it. No going out to eat, no movies, Top Ramen every night .
Also no regular visits to the hairdresser and/or barber shop.

Joking aside, they guy is legit in his love for old gear.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I wanna say maybe earlier this year he has given up his day job to focus on his band and his channel..taking the leap of faith in music and music related work..I do think it was pre COVID when he made that switch.. could of changed since though.

moreles

Reaction score
I enjoy comments arguing that a selling price is somehow wrong. It's a market. That's the market price. You may not like it, but it's not up to you. Markets set prices. This one went for a bit less than I would have expected given the fact the abused players are now in fashion. It's an intact '58. No way is that going for 2K like a 2000 Standard. That guitar can be cleaned up really beautifully. It may not be worth it to me -- it's not -- but in the market, the price is right.

none2low

Reaction score
I enjoy comments arguing that a selling price is somehow wrong.
I agree, arguing about market value is pointless, however in this example, it can be argued that without confirmation of what is or is not original does greatly influence peoples perception of value.

In reality the only thing guaranteed by winning the Goodwill auction at hand was receiving a fairly abused '58 special. Yes, it did appear that most was correct, but without an in hand inspection the price paid seemed high for what could have amounted to a husk with no original, or very few original parts.

All things considered, its a calculated gamble which may be worth it to some, and not worth it to others.

Frutiger

Reaction score
I think it was a gamble worth taking for sure. All this guitar needs to make it straight is a correct set of Klusons, black bonnet knob, poker chip, jack plate, some screws and a pickguard. All of those are relatively easy to find. Yes it's more expense but it's not difficult to get this guitar back to 100% stock and it can be done over time as and when funds allow. The big stuff is all there and that's important.

I'd give it a good clean though, got no time for another man's funk all over my guitars.

Latest Threads