1958 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty guitar (1 owner, original strings)

lpcustom69

Reaction score
"...The owner preferred his acoustic guitar, explaining to us, "it was just too much work to take the electric out and plug it into the amp and all that."

Pretty lazy for that!

moreles

Reaction score
Buy the guitar, not the story. Anything that is not fully documented has no value. The "one owner" nonsense began as a means of identifying a well-cared for instrument -- it's a shorthand reference to condition, and it's condition, not ownership, that is relevant. Who cares if this one had two owners -- or six? It's about condition, not stories. And "original strings"? Ditto. It's just a way to verbalize "apparently, stored and hardly played." Again: actual condition, not mythology, counts. I realize that some owners and buyers get enamored with a narrative surrounding the instrument and fine, if you're into that, but unless something is proven it is not real, and the physical reality of the guitar is where the money is.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I would love for '58 BBs to be that valuable! But then again, I only paid $8k for mine.

Chicken Wing

Banned
Reaction score
I would love for '58 BBs to be that valuable! But then again, I only paid $8k for mine.

People still overpricing vintage Customs. They're great. I love them. I own a couple. But I don't wee thm selling for big bucks.

I think $40,000-$45,000 is the right price for a clean one.
But that's just me.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
They haven't come back since 2008. I want them selling for big bucks only when / if I ever have to sell mine. But I've said for many years that it's the last guitar I will ever sell. I will sell my Burst first, as much as I love her.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
I have never seen any early photos that show Grovers on any early LP.
That goes from the 50s clear up to the early 70s.
And since it has the original strings, it's best to assume that the truss rod is probably frozen.
Don't offer this guy anything (low bid) that you can't afford to follow up on.

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I have never seen any early photos that show Grovers on any early LP.
That goes from the 50s clear up to the early 70s.
And since it has the original strings, it's best to assume that the truss rod is probably frozen.
Don't offer this guy anything (low bid) that you can't afford to follow up on.
Grovers start appearing on Customs in 1958.