1958 and 1959 TV Models

59noob

Reaction score
I was wondering if the experts could share their thoughts on the sound difference between a Junior double cut and Special double cut when played through the bridge pickup? Does the lack of wood for the extra pickup make the Special more thin sounding, less sustain maybe, or no difference, or better? Just wondering, and hope to hear some opinions.

Thanks!

OBX351

Reaction score
Neck size, fret size and the serial number....there might be other differences but these should be the easiest to delineate the two.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Nice!

I think both the answers offered so far are correct. Out of interest, much difference in pickup output? I don't have a '58, but my '59 has a lot more than my '57. Always guessed they changed the magnets, but seem to recall resistance is a little higher on the '59 as well.

Liam
Resistance is slightly higher on my 59TV than on my 58 Junior.
BUT, the 58 definitely sounds as if it has more output. I'm convinced this is down to the wood. The 58 is featherlight . . . 6lb 2oz . . . compared to the 7lb 7oz TV.

My 57 Special, which has the weakest output to my ears, is a heavyweight 8lb 14oz.

And the bridge on the 57 Special is "thinner" than either of my three Jrs. Not thin in a bad way but tonally quite different

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
BUT, the 58 definitely sounds as if it has more output. I'm convinced this is down to the wood. The 58 is featherlight . . . 6lb 2oz . . . compared to the 7lb 7oz TV.
Different magnets, or different strength magnets, will also cause this.

Latest Threads