1957 Les Paul Jr - no S/N. Any help ID'ing it much appreciated

Buck C

Reaction score
Hi all - I bought this guitar 40 some years ago, toured and recorded with it and always loved it. But retired now and it's time for someone else to habve it. However - no serial number onthe headstock that I can make out - maybe that's why it was painted. Can someone wh's more knowledgeable than i have a lot at the pot numbers in the pic and ID this? Sold to me as a '57 TV, along with the LP Jr amp. Thanks

Attachments

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
The pot pictured is dated 1979.

As for the claim it’s a “TV”,.... that’s no longer even possible,.... as it’s been refinished.

“TV” is a color,....

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Refin and the non original tailpiece will effect the value big time, especially the refin.

However, If the pots aren’t original, and there’s no serial number, it’s going to be very difficult to prove that this a 1957 Jr.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Also, is that a poly cap I’m seeing in the cavity?

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Double ring Klusons are not period correct for 57. The knobs are not from any period.

Three inline white button tip tuners would be period correct.

If anything can be from 1957 is the body,.... and that is a big maybe..... and if it is,...the value of it has been greatly compromised.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Cool guitar.
I'd call her Norma Jean.
Maybe the other pot is original and can provide a date.

ESchmidt

Reaction score
No real way to tell if it is a 1957 since the refinish and replaced pots (assuming the other pot is replaced). One way to help verify if it is a 1950s model though is to take a look at the dot inlay material. You would be looking for cellulose nitrate inlays which have a characteristic look to them.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I can't help you, but I love the Marilyn sticker.

Fordman65

Reaction score
Shouldn't he just be able to smell the fret board to tell if it is Brazilian or not? I kid, I kid.

Looking at the headstock photo, the Gibson Logo doesn't appear to match other '57s. The Dot is placed incorrectly.

Last edited: