1956 les Paul opinions on value of this guitar

chasenblues

Reaction score
Just wondering out loud here again..

What happened to cause the refin-finish to age(?) like this? It doesn't look like typical "checking" almost looks (To me anyway)like bubbling/the finish raising or didn't stick/adhere from moisture? All over the back and front like its following the grain.

lp.JPG

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

What happened to cause the refin-finish to age(?) like this? It doesn't look like typical "checking" almost looks (To me anyway)like bubbling/the finish raising or didn't stick/adhere from moisture? All over the back and front like its following the grain.

View attachment 319883
That guitar is going down in price every minute...
And a hundred times faster when @chasenblues posts about it!
:D

chasenblues

Reaction score
That guitar is going down in price every minute...
And a hundred times faster when posts about it!
I'm not asking/posting the questions to try and do that..Its located across the pond anyway what could i do.

I'm just a schmo on a internet forum.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I'm not asking/posting the questions to try and do that..Its located across the pond anyway what could i do.

I'm just a schmo on a internet forum.

I was not implying that you were trying to drive the price down.
But your questions are so dead on that it's tough not to doubt or back off a little.
Or wanting to pay less for it.
You're a great observer.
:thumb:

P.S.: Nice animated gif.
But it's the parts that don't move that are more interesting.
I guess I'm a good observer too!
:)

judson

Reaction score
The back plates look nice..:laugh2:
i want to see whats in them cavitys...

fretboard looked a bit dry...i think that pics are good but something like that you gotta touch it and check it out up close and personal...i know just enough to get me in trouble i think..

i also like to see people find great deals that others pass on so im always rooting for the deal of the century that members post..:dude::fingersx:

PierM

Reaction score
That headstock, looks exploded and been reinvented. Gibson logo inlay completely off center...

neuroy

Reaction score
It's possible it didn't break all the way through.
Sorry, but you really made laugh..... I´d say this one broke more than one time - and more than completely ! Multifracture ! Sorry for beeing disrespectful.

neuroy

Reaction score

View attachment 319883
My guess is some kind of poly finish....

Left Paw

Reaction score
This type of checking sometimes happens when the old finish isn't removed well, or at all.

View attachment 319883

[email protected]

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’d say the headstock wasn’t correctly reassembled after the break(s), so it’s slightly foreshortened and off axis, as well as over sanded, but it’s bread and butter stuff to put right- I bet disassembly and correctly aligned glueing would make it a cosmetic issue, and I’ve repaired far worse!

Pete M

Reaction score
Sorry, but you really made laugh..... I´d say this one broke more than one time - and more than completely ! Multifracture ! Sorry for beeing disrespectful.
:laugh2: No offence taken. Chasenblues is a hardman to convince sometimes, and he wasn't having any of my "the black is way easier to fix up" idea.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Chasenblues is a hardman to convince sometimes, and he wasn't having any of my "the black is way easier to fix up" idea.
:dunno: I thought your reply had plausibility,I've seen some pictures of broken headstocks with the holly veneer just kind of bent forward/up(?) itself not damaged,But a big split/crack in the wood under it..Just can't find the pics now.:cheers:

RAG7890

Reaction score
I’d say the headstock wasn’t correctly reassembled after the break(s), so it’s slightly foreshortened and off axis, as well as over sanded, but it’s bread and butter stuff to put right- I bet disassembly and correctly aligned glueing would make it a cosmetic issue, and I’ve repaired far worse!
Frankly Yuuki, I'd love to see you get that Guitar, strip her back, repair everything correctly & bring her back to life. ;)

In this case a Conversion is not such a bad thing.

Have a crack at it if the OP doesn't want to buy it................& run a Thread here in the Vintage section of your work. :)

Cheers, Rudi

mdubya

Reaction score
Restore, don't convert. :)

You would look like a mo-ron if you grafted '57 fins onto a '55 Chevy.

Same goes for Les Pauls. IMHO, of course. :squint:

Latest Threads