1956 les Paul opinions on value of this guitar

J50315

Reaction score
I’m currently in Europe on vacation and decided to check out a vintage guitar shop to see what they had in store. Outside of the refinish which was done in the 70s it’s also had a bad headstock repair (which is actually quite stable but bad to look at). I didn’t expect to like it but I plugged it into a tweed amp and loved every minute of the experience with the old beaten up beast, tons of mojo to it. Apparently the owner of the guitar travels back and forth between Europe and South America and the manager of the shop thought he wanted around $12k for it which is too high and the owner of the shop agreed. Looks to be original except for one of the bumblebees being replaced. Can anyone shed any light on this and thoughts on what you guys who deal with these old les pauls think it’s worth? I appreciate your help
2D76A906-3C43-4476-9805-B717D880BB54.jpeg
A1CFAC6B-1187-48C0-89F0-8EE1DD45F8B3.jpeg
F4EF7D9E-19DC-4E0E-A210-A9D0AD039CFD.jpeg
278AF1B3-A02A-4FCD-AEA4-4F1CAC4C7067.jpeg
64F574C4-AE48-4594-9EE7-BF5B4A6E1067.jpeg
4E37D84C-EBB5-4710-87B7-E9989694EC62.jpeg
29F70FA3-F7AE-46B6-9DDB-AA6009BCC8C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
headstock looks like it may implode/explode ? any second ..... bad news

kakerlak

Reaction score
That headstock shape looks off to me. Too narrow? Looks a lot like some of the Yamaki/JooDee LPs.

Pete M

Reaction score
I kinda like it, but damn that headstock break, and the "fixing" of it is horrible. I can see the headstock has more or less been completely broken off and glued back at a funny angle. Then one side has been over sanded for some reason. I would be factoring in getting that all sorted out, and possibly a full refinish. I mean the finish has a certain charm, but also looks like its been rescued from the bottom of a lake.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Just wondering out loud but..

How does the back of the headstock near the nut/where the truss rod route area look shattered,

headstock2.JPG

But on the front that area's Holly veneer looks relatively clean/untouched?

headstock.JPG

Pete M

Reaction score
Just wondering out loud but..

How does the back of the headstock near the nut/where the truss rod route area look shattered,

View attachment 319800

But on the front that area's Holly veneer looks relatively clean/untouched?

View attachment 319801
Well the Gibson logo looks white ratherthan having the usual 50 year old yellowed lacquer on top. Then the LP script seems redone. So it seems refinished, like the rest. A lot can be concealed with some wood filler and black paint. Not so much on the exposed wood at the rear.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, and probably the least qualified person on this site to valuate vintage LPs, but my buyer's intuition would compel me to make an offer for that guitar well into 4-digit territory. I'm assuming the case is an original Lifton?

$12k? NFW.

chasenblues

Reaction score
So it seems refinished, like the rest
So..

Guitar original refin..
Headstock broke/repaired...
Refin the front of headstock(which doesn't look bad) and leave the back that ugly looking?

:dunno:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If any RI is sold for what, at least $4000. ?
How much is a fucked up '56 worth?
Especially if it sounds great, which apparently this one does.
At the right price it can be fixed and be a good buy.

I say that's a personal decision.
One that one could regret, but it's personal.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
If any RI is sold for what, at least $4000. ?
How much is a fucked up '56 worth?
Especially if it sounds great, which apparently this one does.
At the right price it can be fixed and be a good buy.

I say that's a personal decision.
One that one could regret, but it's personal.
that is a good way to put it,

if i knew for a fact it was a 56, i would still need to get it for under $10k just because i would not feel comfortable over that based on my limited knowledge and limited funds....and i have never paid that much for any single guitar....$5k i would be on it....again if its a 56 maybe $7k tops? :dunno:ok maybe $8k cuz i just drooled over it again..:laugh2:

OP said he played it and if it sounded and played great for him...his wallet may differ than mine and yours as well...:yesway:

pretty cool if its a 56 ...

OP, any issue bringing it back to the USA if that is where your returning to?

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
that is a good way to put it,

if i knew for a fact it was a 56, case was a lifton, i would still need to get it for under $10k just because i would not feel comfortable over that based on my limited knowledge....and i have never paid that much for any single guitar....

you played it and if it sounded and played great....your wallet may differ than mine

pretty cool if its a 56 ...any issue bringing it back to the USA if that is where your returning to?
Just to be sure there is no communication glitch here, I did not play it.
I am not looking to buy it or any other guitar for that matter as I have two kids
and that is where the money goes! :D
I was saying it sounded good apparently based on that comment from the op "J50315":

"I didn’t expect to like it but I plugged it into a tweed amp and loved every minute of the experience with the old beaten up beast, tons of mojo to it."

@J50315 has been silent since, I hope he comes back to let us know what happens.
:thumb:

judson

Reaction score
Just to be sure there is no communication glitch here, I did not play it.
I am not looking to buy it or any other guitar for that matter as I have two kids
and that is where the money goes! :D
I was saying it sounded good apparently based on that comment from the op "J50315":

"I didn’t expect to like it but I plugged it into a tweed amp and loved every minute of the experience with the old beaten up beast, tons of mojo to it."

@J50315 has been silent since, I hope he comes back to let us know what happens.
:thumb:

yeah i know that, my comment was to the OP...guess i didnt make that clear

but i thought you made a good statement that applies to most purchases:

"I say that's a personal decision.
One that one could regret, but it's personal."

i just got done writing a reply to the thread about norms and the GOTD that some got their panties in an uproar thinking that norm was trying to hose someone...

your statement would apply to that thread as well, but some might not agree as i posted that price is everything and relative to most things in life....but its friday...:)

EDIT: changed my original post to clarify a bit

stp

Reaction score
do you think the neck is okay on that

Latest Threads