1955 Les Paul Jnr Resto-Mod

ClashCityRocker

Reaction score
Wow! that top looks so nice. That style (standard) looks really great with just the 2 knobs

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I’d share a really cool recent project, and something a bit different to the usual conversions and traditional restorations I do.

I bought a completely FUBAR vintage ‘55 Jnr husk for no more reason than it was old and fell into my lap, but it was so trashed I didn’t really know what to do with it as far as a straight restoration, so as I had a heavily flamed eastern maple top laying around I decided to get crazy and see if I could build a hybrid guitar incorporating my favourite ‘50s Les Paul aspects.

I started with this:

The headstock was broken off, body riddled with hand chiselled cavities and crudely made into a double cut, as well as all the rest, so I first set about making a sound chassis to accept the maple top:

The plan was for a P90/PAF/wraptail combo with perhaps two volume/master tone Flying V set up, but that got modified later on.

It took a lot of work to get the top fitted, and I added a ~2mm shin under the original fretboard to make a fat neck as well as compensate for the shallow Jnr neck set, and here’s an early mock up:

Layout now decided:

Pickup routes and wraptail bridge complete:

Mahogany back pore filled and the whole guitar sanding sealed, ready for aniline finishing:

Classic ‘50s cherry sunburst:

The completed guitar:

I didn’t want to bind the top so masked off and scraped the edges to make a faux natural flame maple binding, which looks killer imo, and overall I feel it’s a really striking yet classically familiar look, and the pickup combination sounds crazy good!
Overall it sounds much more like a Jnr than a Standard as it’s aggressive and really barks in the midrange, and being slightly thinner overall is very comfortable- killer result from what was pretty much firewood :salude
GODD ON YA MAN GOOD ON YA a trillion thumbs up ya gave a old guitar new life !!!!! :thumb: :jam::).

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Wow!!

For a rescue-job on a worn-out husk, that thing is fabulous!

It’s a great combination: P90 + PAF, single volume / single tone. What a great way to do a stripped-back Lester set-up!

The top and the ‘burst are spectacular too — and I’m right with you on just doing the scraped faux binding. It works perfectly!

I’m constantly in awe of all you guys who can do this sort of thing!!

(But what happened to that bridge?!)

bungle

Reaction score
Followed this one from the start, Simply gorgeous,:thumb:

judson

Reaction score
i think i shart myself when i first saw this pic...then the second....holy crap...let me know when you start taking on work as i have a 1970 lp that needs a face lift....great work really amazing...thanks for sharing

vbjZNTU.jpg
b9mgGLi.jpg

Breakrite

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s gorgeous. Great work, you’re very talented.

Question. How do you intonate with a tailpiece like that?

edouglaspratt

Reaction score
Nice save! But what about the headstock and back pics?
This is so cool. Major restoration work with wonderful results. I'm sure your Luthier colleagues would soundly, roundly cheer. What you did with the headstock?... how? and with what hardware? Would love to see pictures, front & back, please.

Doug

RAG7890

Reaction score
Awesome work Yuuki. :thumbs::applause::applause::applause:

Only thing I'd prefer is a normal P90 cover...............can't stand the Metal ones for some reason.

Cheers, Rudi

leofender55

Reaction score
Wow, fantastic looking piece. Maybe Gibson will start a Special Edition?

Seahawk2982

Reaction score
Incredible work as always! Such a cool mashup of 50s Gibsons. Glad you kept the simple 2 knob Junior control layout too.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Awesome work Yuuki. :thumbs::applause::applause::applause:

Only thing I'd prefer is a normal P90 cover...............can't stand the Metal ones for some reason.

Cheers, Rudi
Well, the other day a customer showed up with a Deluxe he had converted to P90s with those metal covers. Turned out they were brass bells. When I explained to him how these cut treble and upper harmonics, he was too eager to have them removed. He was stunned by the result with improvement of TONE.

d1m1

Reaction score
Nice!

Those Junior conversions end up havind a thinner Mahagoni body right?

Paul46

Reaction score
Beautiful. I bet it sounds absolutely amazing!

malcostuart

Reaction score
Lovely job ! Once had a gold top with same pickup config. creamy humbucker on treble but the p90 really focused things , the two together? sweet.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
MEH ......

I'd rather take a douched LP Jr and restore it back to an LP Jr.
(BTW, .... that's how you abbreviate Junior "Jr" not "jnr". )