1955 Les Paul Jnr Resto-Mod

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I’d share a really cool recent project, and something a bit different to the usual conversions and traditional restorations I do.

I bought a completely FUBAR vintage ‘55 Jnr husk for no more reason than it was old and fell into my lap, but it was so trashed I didn’t really know what to do with it as far as a straight restoration, so as I had a heavily flamed eastern maple top laying around I decided to get crazy and see if I could build a hybrid guitar incorporating my favourite ‘50s Les Paul aspects.

I started with this:

The headstock was broken off, body riddled with hand chiselled cavities and crudely made into a double cut, as well as all the rest, so I first set about making a sound chassis to accept the maple top:

The plan was for a P90/PAF/wraptail combo with perhaps two volume/master tone Flying V set up, but that got modified later on.

It took a lot of work to get the top fitted, and I added a ~2mm shin under the original fretboard to make a fat neck as well as compensate for the shallow Jnr neck set, and here’s an early mock up:

Layout now decided:

Pickup routes and wraptail bridge complete:

Mahogany back pore filled and the whole guitar sanding sealed, ready for aniline finishing:

Classic ‘50s cherry sunburst:

The completed guitar:

I didn’t want to bind the top so masked off and scraped the edges to make a faux natural flame maple binding, which looks killer imo, and overall I feel it’s a really striking yet classically familiar look, and the pickup combination sounds crazy good!
Overall it sounds much more like a Jnr than a Standard as it’s aggressive and really barks in the midrange, and being slightly thinner overall is very comfortable- killer result from what was pretty much firewood :salude

Attachments

Dalendl

Reaction score
Very nice! Looks like a fun guitar to play.

sliberty

Reaction score
Beautiful work, and the results are just gorgeous.

For what it is worth, to my eye, that husk looks like it was an early / mid 60' Melody Maker.

Mick51

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I''m curious as to how you have the controls wired.

caloyburger

Reaction score
Wow! Awesome work and good save there. It came out 10x better. That would also be a good idea for a custom order junior/special build.

warprider

Reaction score
This is witchcraft, pure & simple. There's no other explanation for this wizardry.

We will be in touch regarding the drowning. Bring the guitar.

mgdesigns

Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I’d share a really cool recent project, and something a bit different to the usual conversions and traditional restorations I do.

I bought a completely FUBAR vintage ‘55 Jnr husk for no more reason than it was old and fell into my lap, but it was so trashed I didn’t really know what to do with it as far as a straight restoration, so as I had a heavily flamed eastern maple top laying around I decided to get crazy and see if I could build a hybrid guitar incorporating my favourite ‘50s Les Paul aspects.

I started with this:

The headstock was broken off, body riddled with hand chiselled cavities and crudely made into a double cut, as well as all the rest, so I first set about making a sound chassis to accept the maple top:

The plan was for a P90/PAF/wraptail combo with perhaps two volume/master tone Flying V set up, but that got modified later on.

It took a lot of work to get the top fitted, and I added a ~2mm shin under the original fretboard to make a fat neck as well as compensate for the shallow Jnr neck set, and here’s an early mock up:

Layout now decided:

Pickup routes and wraptail bridge complete:

Mahogany back pore filled and the whole guitar sanding sealed, ready for aniline finishing:

Classic ‘50s cherry sunburst:

The completed guitar:

I didn’t want to bind the top so masked off and scraped the edges to make a faux natural flame maple binding, which looks killer imo, and overall I feel it’s a really striking yet classically familiar look, and the pickup combination sounds crazy good!
Overall it sounds much more like a Jnr than a Standard as it’s aggressive and really barks in the midrange, and being slightly thinner overall is very comfortable- killer result from what was pretty much firewood :salude
I love the color of the top. Can you share the recipe? I have a Les-Scrapper in the works, but 2 more LP's after and would love the color of that top on mine. Thanks Ahead.

Last edited:

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
Oh man, what a beautiful guitar. I love that grain and the color of the top - awesomeness!!!

punkerg1

Reaction score
I love the color of the top. Can you share the recipe? I have a LesScrapper in the works, but 2 mor LP's after and would love the color of that top on mine. Thanks Ahead.
Man that wouldve made me an awesome 55 DC, beautiful convo, if I found a husk like that anyway you could make me a dc standard?

Herbie74

Reaction score
Very cool. Anymore pics of the back, neck and headstock?

anorton

Reaction score
Incredible! I’d love to see more pics including headstock, back, neck, etc.

none2low

Reaction score
That looks amazing!! Absolutely love the PAF/P90 pickup combo.

BrianB

Reaction score
Beautiful work, and the results are just gorgeous.

For what it is worth, to my eye, that husk looks like it was an early / mid 60' Melody Maker.
Melody Makers like what you reference have the control cavity routed from the front, with the pickguard serving a dual role as control cover.

This is a '63;

Also a '63, fully assembled;