1955/59 Conversion

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That 55/59 is a thing of great beauty. Just fantastic. I', curious about the 53/59. With your chops, why veneer the top? Maybe I'm just turned off by the fact that every Epi getting spewed out of an Asian assembly line can have a AAAAAAAAAAA (veneer) top that I find that feature to be a real turnoff. I'm doubtless in a minority, but I would rather see your fantastic burst on a plaintop than slap a veneer on that 53. But that's just personal choice. Your work is amazing, and resurrecting these guitars is really a great mission. Impressive, sir!
Tbh veneering without a dedicated vacuum press, or bespoke caul/book press is very tricky and high skill as you have to exactly trim the centre line to compensate for the compound curves of the top allowing a flush join, and the unattached veneer will sit ‘cupped’ and preformed on the bench top, so a simple refin would be FAR less labour intensive..

The reason to veneer was made between myself and the owner, as he already has a ‘50s GT, and this one with its three piece mismatched plain top, end grain wraptail plugs and crack between the knobs/seam separation had very little to offer visually, and he wanted a classic Burst.
I’ll be shooting my usual vintage correct faded/aged finish so while the figure is exceptionally strong for a ‘50s original, it’ll have a totally authentic vibe and present very well imo :)

moreles

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Just curious. Sounds like a fantastic build -- and a process I am sure I could never execute, personally. It's amazing how a great finish comes through even in digital pix on a laptop. I love your finish work, as virtually everyone else posting here does, too!

bonchie

Reaction score
Tbh veneering without a dedicated vacuum press, or bespoke caul/book press is very tricky and high skill as you have to exactly trim the centre line to compensate for the compound curves of the top allowing a flush join, and the unattached veneer will sit ‘cupped’ and preformed on the bench top, so a simple refin would be FAR less labour intensive..

The reason to veneer was made between myself and the owner, as he already has a ‘50s GT, and this one with its three piece mismatched plain top, end grain wraptail plugs and crack between the knobs/seam separation had very little to offer visually, and he wanted a classic Burst.
I’ll be shooting my usual vintage correct faded/aged finish so while the figure is exceptionally strong for a ‘50s original, it’ll have a totally authentic vibe and present very well imo :)
Probably a dumb question, but is it possible to replace the maple top? Or is it impossible to separate from the original mahogany body?

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but is it possible to replace the maple top? Or is it impossible to separate from the original mahogany body?
You can of course remove the neck and body binding then run the body through a thickness sander to remove the top, but I want to retain as much vintage wood as I can.

Latest Threads