*** 1954 LP Goldtop Restoration ***

Droog

Reaction score
Hopefully sometime we can see this fiddle after it's refinished.

P.H.Fawcett

Reaction score
Bore for Klusons
View attachment 520172

View attachment 520173

Inlay the Gibson MOP and fill with black resin.

View attachment 520174

View attachment 520188

View attachment 520189

One last thing, install longer 1-1/4" bushings.

View attachment 520184

View attachment 520185

View attachment 520190

Project complete and heading to Historic Makeover' for a Goldtop finish. Thanks for watching, hope you enjoyed the restoration.
View attachment 520191
I'm wondering if you've measured the scale length of this guitar and if so what would it be ?

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Looks great!!

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of the secondary route (between the neck pickup and bridge) verses just plugging the old humbucker routes and rerouting for P90's?
When you plug the larger humbucker routes there will be about 1/8" of wood in front and behind the plug , then the glue line. These are end grain to end grain and in a year or 2 when the lacquer shrinks the glue line will telegraph thru...guaranteed. Doing it this way The only glue lines showing are on the left and right of the pickup and these joints are going with the grain and have a less chance of telegraphing thru.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to refret? If so what wire are you going to use?

Do you know if anyone makes correct dimension "fretless wonder" wire?

Just went to your website and saw some your conversions. Sorry about the flogging comment ... still mean it, but it doesn't apply to you? :fingersx:

Last edited:

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Nice matching of that plug. Kudos. I have a chance at a ‘52, and will be kept absolutely original. Just hoping it hasn’t sold before April 6th when I get next pension lump.
Thanks, good luck on getting the 52...!!

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Are you going to refret? If so what wire are you going to use?

Do you know if anyone makes correct dimension "fretless wonder" wire?

Just went to your website and saw some your conversions. Sorry about the flogging comment ... still mean it, but it doesn't apply to you? :fingersx:
The owner will probably play it a while and then make up his mind if he wants to refret or not. Sorry I've never been asked to refret a "fretless wonder" and I don't have that info. No worries on the flogging. After 20 years of getting flogged, casterated and you name, it I've grown some pretty thick skin.

d1m1

Reaction score
Puh for a while i thought you re going to retop it. Great job!

R1sky

Reaction score
Any update on this? Fascinating, very skilled work.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking through this again, I love the fact that time was spent to match the maple grain even though it’ll never be seen. We need an update! Passed on the ‘52, it was an Interesting one, no neck binding, body thicker than what followed later, but very very light, I believe it may have been Spanish cedar which was basically unobtanium by that point, or so I have read, which is when they switched to mahogany. Looking for the later spec of binding and mahogany. Might have to pop over and source one from the other side of the pond.

red_house356

Reaction score
Just wondering if you measured the distance of the wraparound post to the p90 bridge? Getting this angle right is crucial I believe. Looking for a reference number. Thanks.

Latest Threads