1954 Les Paul Custom BB Vs. 1972 Reissue 54 Custom BB: Concluded

Reaction score
I'll take a photo of my 72LE 54 when I can. the proof is in the puddin. Thanks for the pics.

Jimmi

Reaction score
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/nor...l-54-reissue-neck-question-2.html#post4231713

buy the way, if you read that thread, that was not the original neck of that guitar. it was a replacment, sent to the factory and replaced,

The neck pocket isn't deep enough for a long tenon.

Here is another thread were someone posted pictures a few months back of the gold top version:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/266910-early-70s-r4-pic-heavy.html

Hard to see but not a long tenon.

Happy to see yours though. Who knows there could be some with either. Would not be the first time Gibsons varied.

Jimmi

Reaction score
Bump...interested to see if the OPs guitar was a long tenon or not.

Jimmi

Reaction score
Bump again....what happened to the OP? Wanted to see which was correct so we know from this point forward (although I suspect it must have been transitional).

ColdCobra

Reaction score
OP: thanks for the advice via PM, and the great review above. I snagged a 72 54RI. Couldn't be happier.

I'm interested in the tenon question as well. I guess I could look at mine but that seems like a lot of work. haha I guess I'm really not that interested, mine plays and sounds great, that's all that matters.

Jimmi

Reaction score
OP: thanks for the advice via PM, and the great review above. I snagged a 72 54RI. Couldn't be happier.

I'm interested in the tenon question as well. I guess I could look at mine but that seems like a lot of work. haha I guess I'm really not that interested, mine plays and sounds great, that's all that matters.

agree that it does not make that big of difference if it sounds good. Just wanted to know for curiosity since it was brought up.

BTW, it is just 2 screws next time you change your strings. :thumb:

ColdCobra

Reaction score
agree that it does not make that big of difference if it sounds good. Just wanted to know for curiosity since it was brought up.

BTW, it is just 2 screws next time you change your strings. :thumb:

Ha! I know Jimmi, but when the pickup height is adjusted "just right" I don't want to tempt fate or risk mojo. and yes, I know I can measure the pickup height - ha!

Reaction score
whats up boys. just wanted to let yall know, I will check on that tenon and snap a pic next time i switch out the strings. I really dont play it much anymore, not because its not a player, but because of its condition, which is excellent +, I'm convinced its one of the nicer ones out there, and have been playing my 68bb alot more because its already beat up.

if anyone else has a pic of there 72 re 54 tenon, I would like to see it, and I will get one up too..... eventually. Keep jammin dudes ! :dude:

Reaction score
whats up guys,

After a long wait, here is a pick of the tenon of a 72/73 neck tenon. Looks like it extends to the middle of the pickup cavity to me.

y'all can be the judge. All the best, Peace.

-oldschool

Attachments

• longneck_tenon.jpg
    longneck_tenon.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 217

Progrocker111

Reaction score
whats up guys,

After a long wait, here is a pick of the tenon of a 72/73 neck tenon. Looks like it extends to the middle of the pickup cavity to me.

-oldschool

It seems to be the transitional tenon, the same as on other late 69-early 75 models.

Jimmi

Reaction score
whats up guys,

-oldschool

Thanks for posting a picture. This is a transitional tenon like one that I posted earlier in this discussion. Likely makes no difference to a long tenon as far as function.

old mark

Reaction score
Just stumbled on this older thread...I saw a '54 Black Beauty in a Philly pawn shop sometime in 1966 - 67, when a member of the blues band I was in thought I would be interested in it and took me to see it. It was a pretty impressive guitar, but I thought too expensive at about $450...And I was more interested in humbuckers at that time...callow youth...
BUT I always remembered that beautiful guitar, and looked around for one in 2013...found they cost quite a bit more, so I found a very fine 2002 re-issue and still have it. It might not be a "real" '54, but it's a gem in it's own right.
Thanks for ll this work...great job! :applause: :cool:

DrRobert

Reaction score
I saw some threads about these guitars and decided to haul mine out. Some good stuff I'd forgotten and some problems:
1. Weights 8#12oz on my shipping scale!
2. Finish is nicely weathered but intact where it needs to be.
3. Missing a few of parts: waffle back tuners, screws here and there, jack plate
4. Frets have some wear, I don't think there's enough there to dress them and they're buzzy even with bridge and truss rod adjusted
5. Bridge saddles are badly notched, like someone was using HUGE strings in the past
6. The nut is some plastic thing that's ugly and poorly installed.

Pots are late 72 (1377251), serial number is in the LE774 range, so I'm guessing early 73 rather than late 72? Neck tenon is short to intermediate (just a lip in the pickup cavity). Sure looks like a 1 piece mahogany body and neck.
Pickups sound good, just takes a tiny turn of the volume knob to balance the bridge and neck. Once I sort out what I'll do about the frets, I'll adjust that down a bit.

So, my question-given that there's player wear, how nuts would you go about a restoration? Tuners seem a no brainer, and the jack plate would be nice, but original screws or just appropriate ones? What kind of nut? Replace the bridge saddles, if so, with what?

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
These are collectors items already. There is no real problem in making sure the guitar is fixed with the most appropriate parts possible.

Latest Threads