1954 Goldtop with missing “Les Paul” silkscreen logo

SteelEdge

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a good opportunity buying a very clean all original except for a strap button 1954 Goldtop Les Paul.

There is no “Les Paul” silkscreen logo in the headstock, and the seller, who is a nice old man with a very good reputation as vintage guitar dealer, told me that “On early gold tops, the ‘Les Paul’ logo was sometimes not there. On later ones it got much more consistent.It can fade away as its only a silk screen, just don’t know with this.We can’t see if it was there, a black light shows nothing really.”

I never heard about missing logo in early goldtops (I’m not any kind if expert, tho), is there any literature or info about that?

Anyway, even if it was wiped off (these silkscreen logos are delicate),does it have a big impact on value? Don’t think so myself, but I’d like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!!!!

LocoTex

Reaction score
I'd like to see a photo of that too.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
If you could get some good close-up photos, especially at a slight angle, we could help you.

Even if the logo "faded" away, there would still be a "shadow" on the finish, where it used to be...unless it was heavily polished?

mdubya

Reaction score
Is any of the gold showing signs of greening?

I saw on the other forum that it looks like this guitar is all gold.

Without historical provenance, that raises questions of a refinish. The guitar looks incredibly clean for a '54.

Caveat emptor. Especially with vintage guitar buys.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The blacklight pic is a good tell, that there probably WAS a script at one point?

The area in the middle, where the script would have been, is extremely light, which means that something affected the finish. Most likely, some sort of polish, and/or a good wiping.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it? Especially if it has concrete provenance.

Good luck! :)

Pete M

Reaction score
If you're in the market for an old Les Paul, why not buy one with Les Paul on the headstock? it will save you plenty of trouble later on if you try to sell it, unless there are plenty of old photos of it being played in the 50s or 60s with a blank headstock.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Boy, I hate to be the "that looks too clean" police, b/c we all want as clean a vintage guitar as we can find, but the area under the truss rod cover looks really suspect to me. Being so perfectly shiny black, with no scratches/chips from years of truss rod wrenches and zero evidence of accumulated dust at the corners seems unlikely for something that old. It's both a near-impossible and pointless area to clean out with the truss rod nut in place, so it makes you wonder... I also wonder about the lines coming from the E and A tuners on the bass side of the headstock -- looks like shrinkage/stress cracks, but they seem under the finish in a weird way. I'd expect something like that to have generated a witness crack in the finish itself. What's the rest of the guitar look like? What's under the pickups, in the control cavity, etc?

SteelEdge

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The guitar comes from one of the most respected dealers in UK. Every guitar he sells is personally inspected, and also comes with a letter of provenance. That’s one of the reason I’m very confident about the originality of the guitar.

Indeed, I bought this one because the price was very good for such a nice condition 54.

Lots of pics here:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments.

The guitar comes from one of the most respected dealers in UK. Every guitar he sells is personally inspected, and also comes with a letter of provenance. That’s one of the reason I’m very confident about the originality of the guitar.

Indeed, I bought this one because the price was very good for such a nice condition 54.

Lots of pics here:

Ask him to check the solder again on the bridge volume pot. Doesn't look "perfectly untouched" as he describes.

Can the logo be viewed at a angle? ie see the residue of the silkscreen.

SteelEdge

Reaction score
He inspected the bridge pu volume pot, and to his judgment, is original.

can you please point me where do you see the silkscreen residue?

Stevevall

Reaction score
I took another look at the headstock, and I cannot see anything? Maybe in a couple years, I could answer this question, as I am thinking about going back to music school and getting a masters in Gibson history. I have a ba in history, and I am don't necessarily want a “playing ‘ degree. But in a research aspect, I think this would be an interesting program.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He inspected the bridge pu volume pot, and to his judgment, is original.

can you please point me where do you see the silkscreen residue?
I was asking if YOU could see the residue, if you hold the guitar at different angles in the light.

SteelEdge

Reaction score
Sorry, misunderstood you.

The guitar is on its way to me right now, hope to have it here by monday / tuesday as late.

The former owner says he can't see anything....anyway, no big deal, due to the guitar condition / originality, I'm more than happy with the purchase.

Take a look at the pics link: http://davidjpym.com/page366.html

What is your general opinion on this one?

Latest Threads