1953 Gibson Les Paul Retread

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Gold as Gibson intended. Hey Jim, do you have a recommendation for replacement studs to cure the leaning bridge on mine? It’s strung with 10s, and doesn’t appear to have gotten worse since I bought it here.
I'm going to use a set of 50's one inch bushings from a LP Jr. I ordered some 1" bushings from WD. Those would take care of any lean.

judson

Reaction score
gold never gets old.......

but i think you should just sell it to me as - is :dude:

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this 53 wrap tail Les Paul from the original owner's Son. The owner was a Pastor and he and his wife lead the singing at their church every Sunday and at mid week service. I was contacted a year ago and at that time the Son wanted me to do a restoration to the guitar. He had some financial things come up plus he got Covid and couldn't do the restoration. After getting thru Covid he then contacted me and asked if I would buy the guitar. So that's the back story on this guitar. I'll be doing a restoration, refurbish or retread whatever you want to call it. Sometime in the 60's he had someone finish over the existing gold. The color was a horrible green and there are a few minor repair's I'll be doing to the guitar. After the repairs I'm having Kim at Historic Makeovers do a total refin. I can't decide to put it back to the correct Gold or do a finish like the 53 Jared James Nichols bought from Charlie Daughtry. Tell me which one you like..... Thanks

Here's my new project
View attachment 514152

My 52
View attachment 514147

JJN 53
View attachment 514148
Thats a really pretty top.... tempting to burst or color it...

I vote for GOLD tho!
ilovegold.gif

Maybe lay down some Naptha and take a picture for us just for fun?

Last edited:

CoolRene

Reaction score
To me, the Cardinal red looks great. Also, the trapeze tail is unplayable as it is: you can’t do palm mute for instance. If I had to revamp it from scratch, I would either replace it by the MojoAxe version that includes a wrap over compensated tail piece. Or replace it with a wrap over StopBar. My 2 cts…

dasherf17

Reaction score
I recently bought this 53 wrap tail Les Paul from the original owner's Son. The owner was a Pastor and he and his wife lead the singing at their church every Sunday and at mid week service. I was contacted a year ago and at that time the Son wanted me to do a restoration to the guitar. He had some financial things come up plus he got Covid and couldn't do the restoration. After getting thru Covid he then contacted me and asked if I would buy the guitar. So that's the back story on this guitar. I'll be doing a restoration, refurbish or retread whatever you want to call it. Sometime in the 60's he had someone finish over the existing gold. The color was a horrible green and there are a few minor repair's I'll be doing to the guitar. After the repairs I'm having Kim at Historic Makeovers do a total refin. I can't decide to put it back to the correct Gold or do a finish like the 53 Jared James Nichols bought from Charlie Daughtry. Tell me which one you like..... Thanks

Here's my new project
View attachment 514152

My 52
View attachment 514147

JJN 53
View attachment 514148
Is the middle pic the "ugly green" you spoke of? I may be wrong, but it appears to be the gold tarnished over the years, going by the weather checking, albeit a bit uniform...sorry, didn't mean to get picky...I'd love to have that one...lotta history and love behind it...
...and yes, please, no humbuckers...

kakerlak

Reaction score
That's a really pretty, center-seam top... Gold is always cool, but seems like a shame to cover the wood back up at this point. Honestly, if you could get the maple to clean up just a little bit further, it'd be really appealing finished in simple amber clear -- think a nice golden yellow, like the old fifties Bigsby electrics.

kakerlak

Reaction score
What kind of shape is the back in? If the whole thing, once fully stripped is frustratingly mottled with grey stains, like they sometimes are, I might be tempted to go all-gold.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Beautiful! Unfortunately from what I read online market price on a genuine '53 is probably about the same as four kidneys and I can only spare the one :doh:
Having a guitar like that falling into my hands...man...NOBODY would get that from me...

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does naptime remove the tarnish? (...kinda new at this...)
I want to say it can be used as a cleaner as well. But there are other people here more knowledgeable who can verify.

People have used it to get a preview of how the grain would look after finishing. It evaporates soon after applied.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I want to say it can be used as a cleaner as well. But there are other people here more knowledgeable who can verify.

People have used it to get a preview of how the grain would look after finishing. It evaporates soon after applied.
Yes, it's good for taking off sticker adhesive...wasn't aware (could've guessed) it was good for some kind of cleaner, as well...thanks!

Chance11

Reaction score

Here's my new project
View attachment 514152

My 52
View attachment 514147

JJN 53
View attachment 514148
Restore to original

mdubya

Reaction score
Gold.

Or do a Sparling Burgundy over the gold if you must do red.

The JJN/Daughtry "Red" is only cool because of the original gold peaking through. That and it is one of the best and most incredible sounding guitars, ever. :wow:

JMHO, ymmv. :wave:

Latest Threads