1953 Gibson Les Paul Retread

boogieongtr

Reaction score
I recently bought this 53 wrap tail Les Paul from the original owner's Son. The owner was a Pastor and he and his wife lead the singing at their church every Sunday and at mid week service. I was contacted a year ago and at that time the Son wanted me to do a restoration to the guitar. He had some financial things come up plus he got Covid and couldn't do the restoration. After getting thru Covid he then contacted me and asked if I would buy the guitar. So that's the back story on this guitar. I'll be doing a restoration, refurbish or retread whatever you want to call it. Sometime in the 60's he had someone finish over the existing gold. The color was a horrible green and there are a few minor repair's I'll be doing to the guitar. After the repairs I'm having Kim at Historic Makeovers do a total refin. I can't decide to put it back to the correct Gold or do a finish like the 53 Jared James Nichols bought from Charlie Daughtry. Tell me which one you like..... Thanks

Here's my new project
IMG_0207.JPG

My 52
1.JPG

JJN 53
JJN2.jpg

Last edited:

geddy

Reaction score
Reminds me of the Mary Ford les paul that Robbo has, albeit without the trapeze tailpiece.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
I like the red, reminds me of 335 Lazarus that can be seen played by Samuel L Jackson in Black Moan Snake. Altho that one probably had a hint of purple in it also? I think so, not sure. It sold in an auction for merely 1500 back in -07
3897090_5_x.jpg
3897090_4_x.jpg
3897090_2_x.jpg

E.T.

Reaction score
I recently bought this 53 wrap tail Les Paul from the original owner's Son. The owner was a Pastor and he and his wife lead the singing at their church every Sunday and at mid week service. I was contacted a year ago and at that time the Son wanted me to do a restoration to the guitar. He had some financial things come up plus he got Covid and couldn't do the restoration. After getting thru Covid he then contacted me and asked if I would buy the guitar. So that's the back story on this guitar. I'll be doing a restoration, refurbish or retread whatever you want to call it. Sometime in the 60's he had someone finish over the existing gold. The color was a horrible green and there are a few minor repair's I'll be doing to the guitar. After the repairs I'm having Kim at Historic Makeovers do a total refin. I can't decide to put it back to the correct Gold or do a finish like the 53 Jared James Nichols bought from Charlie Daughtry. Tell me which one you like..... Thanks

Here's my new project
View attachment 514152

My 52
View attachment 514147

JJN 53
View attachment 514148
Finish it in Wine Red and send it to me! :fingersx:

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gold as Gibson intended. Hey Jim, do you have a recommendation for replacement studs to cure the leaning bridge on mine? It’s strung with 10s, and doesn’t appear to have gotten worse since I bought it here.

Latest Threads