*** 1952 Les Paul - Next Project ***

boogieongtr

Reaction score
I just scored this 52 LP husk. Someone had stripped off the gold, hacked out for humbuckers, added a shaved down ABR1, tailpiece and did a refin. All of the original woods, bindings and inays are intact. The area below the bridge pickup route is just spilled lacquer and not a repair. The neck has never been out. Restoring the guitar back to an original trap 52 doesn't make sense financially, also the plugs will eventually show thru the finish. I'm trying to decide on one of 3 possibile ways to go. 1) Reset the neck, do a "Snatch" goldtop conversion. 2) Reset the neck, correct the routes and do a two humbucker conversion. 3) Make it a center seam PAF conversion by resetting neck, remove the binding, remove 1/2 of the top, add a matching piece of flame maple, recarve the new piece added.

IMG_3928.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

Last edited:

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just scored this 52 LP husk. Someone had stripped off the gold, hacked out for humbuckers, added a shaved down ABR1, tailpiece and did a refin. All of the original woods, bindings and inays are intact. The area below the bridge pickup route is just spilled lacquer and not a repair. The neck has never been out. Restoring the guitar back to an original trap 52 doesn't make sense financially. The plugs will eventually show thru the finish. I'm trying to decide on one of 3 possibile ways to go. 1) Reset the neck, do a "Snatch" goldtop conversion. 2) Reset the neck, correct the routes and do a two humbucker conversion. 3) Make it a center seam PAF conversion by resetting neck, remove the binding, remove 1/2 of the top, add a matching piece of flame maple, recarve the new piece added.
Is the shaved-down bridge option really so bad? I don’t know, did Satriani‘s guitar have a neck reset? Seems a shame in some ways to disturb the integrity of the original structure if you can avoid it …

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Is the shaved-down bridge option really so bad? I don’t know, did Satriani‘s guitar have a neck reset? Seems a shame in some ways to disturb the integrity of the original structure if you can avoid it …

Satriani's guitar was a 54 and had a steeper neck angle. An ABR1 works well without a neck reset.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do #3, it would be a great challenge. I've run every step through my mind and it's doable.
Shit man…go for it! I think it would be a neat process to see done.
A Snatch would be cool, but the plug for the neck p-90 would eventually show through where it’s currently routed to fit a humbucker…

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I do not understand why you want to re-set the neck. You mentioned that an ABR works. Please help me keep up with your project. Thanks

Latest Threads