1952 Les Paul husk, wood only, Your opinion wanted

judson

Reaction score
am i the only one that has the never ending thirst for a 50's LP ? I keep looking and as prices seem to be on the rise, i think at some point before i am no longer on the face of the earth, i need to jump on in and get this done someway or some how.

i want a player, not going to nor can i afford anything into the nosebleed section, lowest end now i have seen on Reverb start around $13k to $15k asking and continue the rise from there....i have never seen a husk for sale before.

this husk might fit the bill, not worried or care at all about resale....all the parts to finish out with something respectable for me i can accumulate over time and i am not looking to hunt the world for original parts...something that fits and makes it playable will do it for me, i think and go from there.

So have you had this dilemma? what did you do and am i dreaming that i can find a husk at a decent price? i think a husk would also be a fun learning journey also...and what is your opinion of value for a husk, needing mostly hardware, not any neck reset or major body work to get to playable shape.

forgot the link for ebay and the second is Reverb...here

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=112571023210

https://reverb.com/item/5865231-gibson-les-paul-1952-gold-paf-conversion-labor-day-special

hey i forgot the Philly show is coming up...anyone ever see a husk there??? or a decent price on a 50's under $15k ?

i am pretty sure this want isnt going to go away until its fulfilled... your thoughts appreciated :thumb:

Last edited:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I’ve seen some odd birds there, but never a husk.

judson

Reaction score
chasen..yeah there are no bridge posts, it floats,

yes i agree the paint looks too good even for 60's redo

i thought one of the gimmicks was to shave the bottom of the bridge to avoid needing a neck set, i could be wrong

kiko

Reaction score
Too many variables, your're better off finding something else IMO.

judson

Reaction score
In the configuration i would think the bridge would flip over when you try to tune the guitar. There is nothing supporting it. No thumb wheels/posts, Or base.

i dont know but you have seen acoustics with floating bridges, the string pressure should hold it but i can mod that...not worried there

or it could become the most expensive slide guitar i ever bought....:rofl:

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
If you think you want it, buy it.

Since the description says it is husk only, but the seller notes says it has PAF humbuckers.... if you don't like it, you can return it for not arriving as advertised. ;)

View attachment 268853
i will be makin a trip to FL in Dec...if it is still there, i may swing by and take a look...money wise might work for me then also....

what the hell im gonna get one sooner or later so why wait, i have passed on two others, this looks like it might be feasible...who know?

judson

Reaction score
ok i was wrong , thought one of you dogs grabbed this.....:oops:

seller told me he spoke with a repair shop that is going to throw it all back together and get it playable so he can ask $18k when its done, im out

the hunt continues:fingersx:

Last edited:

Left Paw

Reaction score
I think you dodged a bullet also. You can buy a *lot* of guitar for $8K. As in complete guitar.

judson

Reaction score
for a 50's gibson lp i dont think was any bullet to dodge, yes there are many nice guitars out there at $8k or less but no 50's gibson LPs

i have enough of nice guitars and ones i wont part with but i do think the holy grail is a 50's LP which does bring up another question for those who have thought the same and then when they got that 50's LP it was not all they thought it would be.?..

judson

Reaction score
Who has bought it? :naughty:
nobody......yet

the owner sent me a message that i could have it for xx dollars, then 4 hours later it was pulled from Reverb and ebay so i assumed someone that saw me post it here contacted the seller and grabbed it for themselves.

when i sent the seller a note, he said spoke with a luthier that was going to put all the parts together and get to playable condition so he could sell it for $18k....

I told him i am going to pass....for $18k i can find another one in better shape for less.......maybe

judson

Reaction score
dayyyyyyyuumm....bumped this old thread when i stumble onto another husk

almost two years later and im still hunting.......and they aint getting any cheaper

this one seems a bit pricey or the one from two years back was a steal :dunno:

i think i could live with this '53 at about half the asking price....looks dont bother me too much with vintage as long as it performs

interesting way someone decided on to lower the bridge......

and im trying to convince myself i could live with it if it played well like that...

but that just ate up some value with that trick,

Last edited:

red_house356

Reaction score
Like you, I lust over a '50s Goldtop. A '52-53 is more probable for me, but I would love a '54 with a wraparound. The '52-53s don't come cheap even though they are less desirable. Haven't seen one for under $8K in about an year. Breaks don't bother me as one of the best playing Juniors ('59 DC) I owned had a break. It beat out two '56 Les Paul Juniors without any and they weren't any slouches either. Can't go wrong with '50s Juniors.

I finally tracked one down a '53 that's affordable for me (10K) and put down a deposit. It had a break, got refin'd and converted to '56 specs (neck reset and stoptail) by RS Guitarworks. I'm picking it up in Oct. It's taken me 5 years of flipping gear to get to this point to "afford" one.

Point is, you can find one. Just be patient. At a certain point, you might have to bite the bullet and make sacrifices. I for one am dwindling down my number of vintage guitars and amps to justify this.

red_house356

Reaction score
I was lurking TGP for Dumble SSS options for a Hendrix tone. Saw this quote from a dealer called Humbucker Music (bought a Nash strat from them before, good people).

I think it's applicable to this situation and food for thought. Good luck with your hunt.

Humbucker Music said:
Sorry... I started typing and couldn't stop.

Disclaimer: First of all, I'm a Two-Rock dealer. You have absolutely every right to believe any dealer post you read is wickedly biased. In fact, even I think it is safe practice to assume such until you get to know and trust the dealer with your *own* experience. With that said, this is my honest and open take on Two-Rock. You can choose to believe it or not. :)

The original question was, is "Two-Rock really worth the money?" A better question would perhaps be, do YOU get what YOU pay for with Two-Rock?

The answer really has to do with the Point of Diminishing Returns, henceforth known as PDR. :) For the most, we can probably all agree that $1500 is an acceptable amount to spend on a new amp, but I know people that wouldn't spend that much even if the amp did everything they could ever want *and* could create peace in the Middle East. Their personal PDR may be $1000, and no amp under any circumstances could ever be worth more. Others PDR may be $2000, or even $3500. I had a customer who purchased a Z-Wreck (awesome rig, BTW) last year from us that told me he thought someone would be crazy to spend $6500 on a Two-Rock Custom Reverb Signature rig. While I understood what he was getting at, I wondered if he realized there were many who felt the same about someone spending $3700 on a rig. His PDR was obviously in a different place than the $1000 guy I mentioned earlier or the $6500 Two-Rock Custom Reverb customer.

Naturally, the whole notion of a PDR effectively means there's some point where you stop spending money for what you want to get out of an amp. As that point is approached, anything extra the more expensive amps offer become less and less important to you, and may even seem foolish or a waste of money. That, however, will only be YOUR opinion. If your PDR is $1500, then some dude whose PDR is $500 will think you're crazy.

In the following scenario I'll use three 40-50 watt 6L6 amps in three price ranges to illustrate my point. I will also be using MY OPINION so your mileage may vary.

1) Fender Vibrolux Reverb Combo - $1200
2) Two-Rock Studio Pro 35 Combo - $2700
3) Two-Rock Cust Rev Sig 212 Rig- $6500

Fender Vibrolux Reverb - For the average guitar player out there, the Fender is a decent amp. Not much money to some, a lot of money to others. Let's say for the sake of argument that you get what you pay for, and for all I know, maybe you do.

TR Studio Pro 35 - Now some serious money is being spent. Is the overall quality (tone, build, etc) of the amp 2.25 times better than the Fender? I'd say yes. Handwired, built like a tank, and tone for days... Again, my opinion. In fact, I'm using the Studio Pro 35 as an example because it's one of my favorite amps that we sell, and my favorite of all the Two-Rocks.

TR Cust Rev Sig - Here's where my personal PDR gets in the way. I think the SP35 is absolutely amazing, so do I feel this amp is 2.4 times the amp of the Studio Pro? Personally, no. HOWEVER, it could be 1.5 times the amp, and that's where the PDR comes into play. Some people are willing to spend 2.5 times the money for 1.5 times the improvement. In fact, some people are willing to spend 5 times the money for 1.5 times the improvement (think Ferrari vs. Corvette). It does stand to reason that at some point small improvements start to cost a ton of money, and somewhere in there is where my PDR starts to take effect.

Everyone's PDR will be different, and many factors will contribute to that. Factors such as:

1) Budget - I own a store that specializes in high-end amps, but even I have my spending limits. If I had very deep pockets, then perhaps I'd own a $6500 rig. We have sold several of them, and have received nothing but praise, but it's just a lot of dough for me personally.

2) Playing Ability - FACT: My abilities say I don't deserve to play a $6500 rig. :) If I had the playing skills of Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV, etc, then maybe I could justify squeezing all that tone out of it. Of course, these guys could squeeze tone out of a Gorilla amp...

3) Importance - Some people just don't place a ton of importance on tone. One of the best players in our area has the money and absolutely has the skills, but plays a solid state Marshall. It drives a lot of us in this town nuts, but he puts on a good show, and most importantly, he's happy.

4) Ear - I also know a couple guys who have all the above, but just "don't hear it." I don't know if there's something wrong with their hearing, or they just don't know what to listen for. I honestly had a person once with all the above that swore he couldn't hear the tonal differences between a Line 6 model of a Vox AC15 and an AC15 Handwired we had. I didn't know what to say. I just smiled and said, "Cool, man. To each his own." The differences are massively apparent, by the way. Not even close.

There are more factors, obviously, but you get the point. This post has already gotten WAAAY too long, so I'll cut it off here to spare all you any further ramblings. :)

judson

Reaction score
that is a great article ....top end of my Point of Diminishing Return for me is maybe $15k on an early 50's LP and would prefer to be in the $10-$15k range

and for a husk will depend but $5-$7k might be max...

and $20k is my "dont really want to spend it but might for the right one"......but nothing over $20k i cant see spending that much unless the obvious crazy low price came up on a mid to late 50's...that is a whole new ballgame there.

one positive is i am pretty sure my Gibson LP buying days would be done once i have one, i hope so..:dunno:

so if you got one to sell in my range, let me know!

Last edited:

red_house356

Reaction score
that is a great article ....top end of my Point of Diminishing Return for me is maybe $15k on a 50's LP and would prefer to be in the $10-$12k range ...i gotta run, will edit later
It was a post on TGP, I just quoted it. Seems like an article however haha.

We have similar tastes in guitars as well as budget. Like he stated, I am for sure among the population that is willing to pay a certain amount extra for the 1.5x improvement. I've had 3 player grade Juniors ('56, '56, and '59), all of them cost me about $3K. They play and sound way better to me than used CS Gibsons. I am willing to $800-1000 extra for the playability and tone alone. They breathe and feel differently than modern reproductions. I've had an early '69 Les Paul (paid $4K). Yukki, (playergradevintage) just refin'd it to a burst conversion. Killer guitar, BUT I want a '50s Goldtop. If I can land one with similar playability and tonal quality of the Juniors, it'll be worth it to me.

You can find goldtops for $10-12K. $15K seems to be the entry price. Are you looking to have original hardware or are you flexible with that? Pickups ('52-53 p90s are my favorite year)? '56 p90s are good too. '59 is pretty hot and they sing.

If you can land that husk for $8500, I think it would be a decent base to start with. The abr/Nashville Bridge looks like an iffy job, but it'll be hidden (mostly) when you load it with hardware. If you go with modern or repro parts, you can easily have this under $10K minus the case. I know you're wondering if it sounds fine. I have only played 1 of 9 vintage Gibsons in person. 8 of 9 where online purchases. If it's worn and looks like it has been played/loved, it'll more than likely sound good. YMMV. The only dud I've had was a '63 Melody Maker, which are usually killer guitars.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
i have 72 gold top and 71 stripped to natural LP and a few others

i thought about a 50's junior but knew that i would still want a 50's lp so i have stopped looking at those but they are tempting as well

i am open to anything that makes sense to my checkbook, do not really care about hardware as it will get played with parts i have now and replaced off and on maybe as time rolls on,

not looking for a museum piece but will take it to play the hell out of it for the right price

thats why i was hoping for a decent price for a husk to come along.....

red_house356

Reaction score
....top end of my Point of Diminishing Return for me is....

and for a husk will depend but $5-$7k might be max...
You diminishing returns on the husk are lower than the current market value. There's a possibility with the pending "recession" that vintage prices may go down again, but who knows (sorry for the a**hole comment). Like you, a '50s Goldtop will end THE Les Paul hunt for me.

Look on Reverb. Between the last 1-2 years, I've been following just about every Goldtop between $8K-$12K tease and taunt me. I finally sold my '69 Les Paul, Junior (avatar), and '69 ES 335 12 String to come up with the dough for a Goldtop.

If you're really only looking for the husk, why not just buy a $15K Goldtop and move the original parts to recoup the cost. The cali cases sell for $1500-2000. You just have to be patient selling vintage parts.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
im not too far under market....funny with all the talk about a recession that did cross my mind a deal might come up, i thought about a conversion as well but not sold on those for the money they are asking today...

Last edited: