1952 Goldtop Neck Set Issues

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well you guys have my interest up now. I like the idea of Dagl’s (Kim’s old one) that requires no drilling. I’m gonna have to give that a try.

duckduckno

Reaction score
I've had 2 of these and I loved them as is. Sounded soooooooo good. Better than most bursts. I know, unpopular statement. I love old gold tops and all mahogany customs. Used to be way cheaper too. Not so much now.

mdubya

Reaction score
That is because somebody keeps destroying all of the original Goldtops, trying to make them into something they are not and never will be.

mdubya

Reaction score
Les could do whatever he wanted.

I can have my opinion. If it makes anyone uncomfortable, maybe they should look in the mirror.

duckduckno

Reaction score
Anyone can do anything they want to their guitar. I didnt see anyone saying it was a crime. I am no genious like Les Paul, who as a player and inventor I do hold in that regard. I'm not that good so I usually learn to live with guitars and not need to mod them. But whatever people want to do with their own stuff is their business. Personally, the neck angle is not that big a problem ... maybe I just dont mind the action as they play so easy to begin with.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a little clarification is in order here.

I'm at a point where I can seriously look for decently priced vintage goldtop.

I started this thread knowing I would not like having a trapeze tail and under wrapped strings because no palm muting, feels funky TO ME, and even Les Paul said it was unplayable.

At the beginning of my search to see what the current market temperature was, I saw many 52/53's that had been converted to stop tail or TOM, and incorrectly assumed that that was "the fix" if you had a trap tail GT, with playability issues.

I've since learned, thankfully, that there are non invasive remedies for those.

In fact I cringe when I see 50's GT's that have been converted to humbuckers!

I'll also state for the record, that I'm not a SOMEBODY who DESTROYS guitars to make them something they're not. In fact the most invasive mod I've ever performed on a guitar was to install strap locks, so fire away!

In fact, I just sold my boat out of the blue, so trap tails are safe!!

We can all have some egg nog now, and relax! :cheers2:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Les didn't have a problem with modifying early Goldtops. Let's not make it a crime... :hmm::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Eric, I will forever bow down to your superior knowledge and experience when it comes to vintage Les pauls, but if I ever become a billionaire, I'm gonna start buying up bursts and converting them to goldtops just to mess with you.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eric, I will forever bow down to your superior knowledge and experience when it comes to vintage Les pauls, but if I ever become a billionaire, I'm gonna start buying up bursts and converting them to goldtops just to mess with you.
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

That wouldn't make me mad....but I know more than a few that it would. :rofl:

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Then Eric would just have to buy them up at a fraction of their value, restore them back to Bursts, and resale at a handsome profit.

So why not leave them be and just send Eric a nice fat check instead! :laugh2::laugh2:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

That wouldn't make me mad....but I know more than a few that it would. :rofl:
The hate mail will be epic.

Then Eric would just have to buy them up at a fraction of their value, restore them back to Bursts, and resale at a handsome profit.
You think I'd sell them? Keepers, every one.

I'd stick the pafs in some random epiphones and just give them away without disclosing the fact.

So why not leave them be and just send Eric a nice fat check instead! :laugh2::laugh2:
Well on the plus side for Eric, any bursts he happens to have his hands on would rocket in value, so that's something.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score

Ahh! Eliminate the middle man!
By the same token... Don't get married.
Just go to a bar, find a woman you can't stand to be around, and buy her a house.

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting a search for a 50's goldtop, and It seems that some, maybe a lot, of 52 GT's have neck set issues.

I prefer to find a good players 56, but failing that, will consider an earlier one that I can convert to a 56 TOM bridge, or one already converted.

My concern is that if I find a 52 at a good price, will the neck be an issue, especially for the purpose of converting to a TOM bridge and tailpiece?

Thanks in advance guys!

Mike
I'd recommend a '54 . The wraptail transfers so much sound into the guitar , it makes the arb bridge rather uninspiring imho .

eddie_bowers

Reaction score
I love seeing these old 50s LP with P90s sitting low in the body as they should. Today with the rediculous neck angle they are obnoxiously high.

mdubya

Reaction score
Les didn't have a problem with modifying early Goldtops. Let's not make it a crime... :hmm::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

View attachment 427096
View attachment 427097 View attachment 427098 View attachment 427099

And what if I were to carve lightning bolts into the top of a beautifully flamey '59 and add a Fender tremolo and have the original PAFs rewound to Super Distortion specs?

Making a Goldtop playable is one thing. Refret it, add a bridge that actually works.

Drilling and steaming out original neck joints, re-topping, routing for humbuckers, trying to make a '62 Corvette into a '63 or '65? Criminal and stoopid.

If someone else has already done the damage, no need to do more damage.

Do people "fix" less good Picasso's or re-carve Michelangelo's unfinished works? Well, fools do.

I see some true offenders liking your post. :thumb:

Latest Threads