1952 Goldtop Neck Set Issues

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A previous owner of my early '53 used what I think is a Dove bridge, and routed it into the top. Even at that look at the pole screw heights.

I have restored it to a trap and use a Mojoaxe bridge.

mdubya

Reaction score
You could shim the P-90 to lower the pole screws. I find them intrusive when raised that high.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow! I guess back in the day if the bridge was too high, you just remove wood! Arrgh!

Glad you were able to "rescue" it to some degree.

If it's still unfinished, that route could be plugged prior to refin, and then back to original with modern hardware for play-ability.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If it's still unfinished, that route could be plugged prior to refin, and then back to original with modern hardware for play-ability.
That was what I did. Gold covers it up. I had posted that pic to show that I wouldn't get an ABR in there without a neck reset. With the Mojoaxe it's a great playing guitar without having to turn it into something it's not.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
That was what I did. Gold covers it up. I had posted that pic to show that I wouldn't get an ABR in there without a neck reset. With the Mojoaxe it's a great playing guitar without having to turn it into something it's not.

That's beautiful! Glad you were able to put it back in it's original form. :dude:

61LPSG

Reaction score
charlie chitlins said,

" What a novel idea! Restoring a buggered '52 back to....a proper 52!! "

The 50's P90 Gold top is my favorite Les Paul. I've seen many that were " converted " and some are beautifully done, but I just don't get the whole Burst wannabe thing on a vintage piece. There are already so many other cookie-cutter options out there to work with.
Just my 2 cents.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are already so many other cookie-cutter options out there to work with.
Generally, someone converting a Goldtop to be more closely aligned with a Burst is AVOIDING a "cookie-cutter" instrument.

Let ones level of fascination be their guide.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice work Eric!

That's really a pretty ingenious way of using a stop bar tail piece with a trap tail. :applause:

Bet it rings out right sweetly too!

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I put a Tune-o-Matic on my other '52 a few years ago....I would do that again too!

I'll eventually get around to putting a stoptail on it.

1952 Gibson Les Paul guitar.
Eric, a friend of mine used to have a '53 with the ABR like that - but a 330 trapeze; 40+ years later it remains my favorite LP of all time!

And all I can say about that red '54 is is "Somebody hand me a Kleenex....."

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
A previous owner of my early '53 used what I think is a Dove bridge, and routed it into the top. Even at that look at the pole screw heights.

I have restored it to a trap and use a Mojoaxe bridge.

You know, I haven't seen the GT I mentioned above since about '79, and this is looks very familiar (right down to the nylon saddles); may I ask where & when you acquired it?

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know, I haven't seen the GT I mentioned above since about '79, and this is looks very familiar (right down to the nylon saddles); may I ask where & when you acquired it?
I bought it in 2015, from Ontario, Canada (I live in Calgary). The previous owner supposedly bought in in '68 from a music store in Toronto, they did the bridge and grovers at that time.

It wasn't an ABR-1, it was that Dove style bridge. And the guy chopped the stock trap, it didn't have a 330 tailpiece. This is what it looked like then:

the original thread on my buying it:
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1953-auction-find.336389/

Last edited:

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I bought it in 2015, from Ontario, Canada (I live in Calgary). The previous owner supposedly bought in in '68 from a music store in Toronto, they did the bridge and grovers at that time.

It wasn't an ABR-1, it was that Dove style bridge. And the guy chopped the stock trap, it didn't have a 330 tailpiece. This is what it looked like then:

the original thread on my buying it:
https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/1953-auction-find.336389/
I was questioning my memory on his trap being 330-style after looking at that first pic of yours, but now, seeing the lovely flame on the treble bouts (coupled with the date problem; my bro bought his in the mid '70s & sold it in the early '80s both, IIRC, in CA ), it is obvious yours is the 3rd I've ever seen in that basic ToM/trap configuration (I have seen one pic of J. Garcia playing one).

dagl

Reaction score
Just giving you guys another option.
Here is my 54 stoptail and my early 53 goldtop. Both are isane guitars and are really spectacular.
the 53 has the earlier angle and looks like it was converted into a ABR, but nothing is what it seems.
This was Kim's (Historic Makeovers) personal guitar for the last 20 years and he did a amazing mod to get the ABR on to it. The ABR was shaped and shaved to fit the angle and leans on the original posts of the original tailpiece. There was no drilling, no modifications were made to the top of the guitar. The tailpiece is a old hofner tailpieces again reshaped to fit the drillholes of the original tailpiece. So you can undo everything and restore it to it's original shape every time you decide to do so. I'll leave it like it is! it's awsome, intonation is spot on and hell it will kill every other guitar out there. Oh and yes that is a orignal ABR bridge.

Last edited:

Latest Threads