1952 Goldtop at CME

rialcnis

Reaction score
I wonder what the odds are and cost of locating a pair of real 1952 p-90s?

goldtop0

Reaction score
I wonder what the odds are and cost of locating a pair of real 1952 p-90s?

Thought about that too over the years and looked on ebay etc but never pulled the trigger due to reservations re authenticity etc. If I do get a set it'll be from a trustworthy source on this forum or the LPF......someone who is a known good person. I'd look at any P90s from the '50s.........but they're bound to be costly.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I played a few late 50s Specials that I thought were amazing. I always wondered how much of it was the pickup. I suspect the wood and nitro finish probably contributes only a small amount to the tone. I wish someone would make noiseless P90s that could sound like the 50s. I actually have a set of the quiet coil p90s but I haven't had a chance to install them yet.

Mike Irvin

Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a member here that is doing a 53-59 conversion, and he does them frequently, so he may have a set for sale.

You can check Reverb as I've seen pairs on there as well.

You can't beat a pair of 50's P-90's!!

none2low

Reaction score
Do you know of some being available from a reliable seller?
What are you looking for? A set of early 52/53's or later 50's.

Earlier sets are going to be harder to find, especially with original covers(bone/cream) However they are out there.

If you're ok with 56 and up (black covers) it becomes a little easier.

Mike made a good suggestion as well.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Any decent P-90 from Gibson is going to be a better value than the vaunted PAF/Shaw/etc. etc.
IMO.
Your mileage will vary.
I have three guitars with P-90s, one of them a P-90S in a Squier Bullet.
They can hum like crazy, but no humbucker sounds like one, although the Gibson mini humbucker sometimes comes close.

rialcnis

Reaction score
There's a member here that is doing a 53-59 conversion, and he does them frequently, so he may have a set for sale.

You can check Reverb as I've seen pairs on there as well.

You can't beat a pair of 50's P-90's!!

I see an expired pair offered for sale on Reverb... and ebay has 1 p-90 for 750.00 or so. Can Reverb stuff be guaranteed?

The thing is for me, I know I have one in a box somewhere --and so many boxes to look through. Drives me crazy.

I would buy a pair if I knew they were real......but I will never get over being so careless to break one in a drawer and misplaced the other, after converting in 1966-67.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
What are you looking for? A set of early 52/53's or later 50's.

Earlier sets are going to be harder to find, especially with original covers(bone/cream) However they are out there.

If you're ok with 56 and up (black covers) it becomes a little easier.

Mike made a good suggestion as well.
Cover color is determined by model, not year; for instance, a '56 GT has creams, and a '56 LPC has a black-covered P-90 in the bridge position. ES-150s, ES-5s, etc., always* had black, and ES-295s always* had cream. And so forth and so on.

*Yeah, "always" is a big word, and Gibson has been known to produce outliers on occasion - but for all practical purposes, "always" pretty much fits.

1969 weatherman

Reaction score
I played a few late 50s Specials that I thought were amazing. I always wondered how much of it was the pickup. I suspect the wood and nitro finish probably contributes only a small amount to the tone. I wish someone would make noiseless P90s that could sound like the 50s. I actually have a set of the quiet coil p90s but I haven't had a chance to install them yet.
funny just a week ago me and a friend of mine did this test...he has a 52 goldtop with original p -90 's that sounded heavenly in that guitar...I call his guitar" the beast"...anyhow he had 1969's mini buckers which are good sounding pickups a little bit on the thin side (well a mini humbucker...) but clear and articulate but no where near his 52 with p-90's... so he decided to swap the p-90 to see if the tone is from the wood or the pickups. So we did the swap (the p 90 had non original soldering and the mini's fits right in the slot of the p-90 so no damage done here)...and holy shit those mini's became huge sounding compare to how I remembered them.Suddenly the mini's had a very similiar tone to the old 52 p-90 but just a tad brighter. On the spot we knew it had to be the old wood on that 52 that made the tone. so there you go.

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
Cover color is determined by model, not year; for instance, a '56 GT has creams, and a '56 LPC has a black-covered P-90 in the bridge position. ES-150s, ES-5s, etc., always* had black, and ES-295s always* had cream. And so forth and so on.
Yes, I could have been more specific, but generally speaking prior to '56 the majority of soapbar covers were cream and after '56 black.

The '56 GT being the outlier in the group.

Again, speaking specifically about soapbar P90's

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, I could have been more specific, but generally speaking prior to '56 the majority of soapbar covers were cream and after '56 black.

The '56 GT being the outlier in the group.

Again, speaking specifically about soapbar P90's
I may be mistaken on this, but AFAICR, while dogear P-90s were all over the line (in both colors), soapbars were only on LPs until the debut of the SG Special; '52-'56 GTs had cream, and '54-56 LPCs & ' '55-'59 LP Specials had black - so there were only 2 years that soapbars were cream only, and 3 years where they were both - though they were black only from '57 until '68 or so.

rogue3

Reaction score
funny just a week ago me and a friend of mine did this test...he has a 52 goldtop with original p -90 's that sounded heavenly in that guitar...I call his guitar" the beast"...anyhow he had 1969's mini buckers which are good sounding pickups a little bit on the thin side (well a mini humbucker...) but clear and articulate but no where near his 52 with p-90's... so he decided to swap the p-90 to see if the tone is from the wood or the pickups. So we did the swap (the p 90 had non original soldering and the mini's fits right in the slot of the p-90 so no damage done here)...and holy shit those mini's became huge sounding compare to how I remembered them.Suddenly the mini's had a very similiar tone to the old 52 p-90 but just a tad brighter. On the spot we knew it had to be the old wood on that 52 that made the tone. so there you go.
dude,you realize you just proved everyone else(mostly) wrong.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
In a solidbody electric, tone comes from (in descending order of influence) 1) fingers, 2) amp, 3) pickups, and 4) wood.

NotScott

Reaction score
I put a set of 52 P90s into my R5 and I can attest to all of the above regarding these. From what I recall, the 52s used thick magnets of a different composition which gives them more snarl and thicker mids than later versions. My set only measures around 8.1K but they sound a lot hotter than anything else I have heard in that range. I play blues/rock and don't use tons of gain on mine, primarily because they don't need it. Yeah, they hum and buzz a bit more than a typical Strat but if you are playing live with a band, nobody will hear the noise but they sure will notice the tone.

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will not sell all of my parts in my lifetime....and it's debatable if my kids even could... :laugh2:

none2low

Reaction score
That's not such a bad problem to have...

The question is, will your kids end up selling Dads old boxes of junk parts for $10 apiece. :rofl::rofl::rofl: