1952 Goldtop at CME

integra evan

Reaction score
Check out this late 52 goldtop at Chicago Music Exchange:

Sounds and looks awesome. Love how the P90s sound in this. Would love to own one. I also really like these trapeze bridges, something about them looks great on the gold top.

none2low

Reaction score
Watched this video last night. Beautiful guitar! There is something really special about the early 52/53 P90's.

On a side note - I don't advocate parting out vintage instruments, but if you ever come across a loose 52/53 P90, try dropping it in the neck position and stand back in awe. It's glorious sounding.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 56 P-90's and a set of 57 P-90's, in their original guitars BTW, and those pups blow away any modern P-90's I've heard.

So powerful and articulate!

Gotta say I prefer the early P-90's to Humbuckers.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Check out this late 52 goldtop at Chicago Music Exchange:

Sounds and looks awesome. Love how the P90s sound in this. Would love to own one. I also really like these trapeze bridges, something about them looks great on the gold top.
Love that old P90 Sound-I would be over the moon to own a 1952 lp no conversions for me.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I saw they had it listed about a week ago then it was taken down off Reverb... I figured it quickly sold..

goldtop0

Reaction score
I have a set of 56 P-90's and a set of 57 P-90's, in their original guitars BTW, and those pups blow away any modern P-90's I've heard.

So powerful and articulate!

Gotta say I prefer the early P-90's to Humbuckers.

That's good info thanks Mike........I've got a '13 R6 and very much prefer that sound to the humbucker sound in my R8.
If there were any old P90 guitars in my country I'd dearly love to get a hold of one or two and play 'em but sadly they're not around these traps.....mores the pity.

moreles

Reaction score
I've never heard or played P90s that old, live. It's interesting to hear the raves for the sound, because I don't find more recent P90s to be remarkable at all. Too aggressive at the front end, too thick, too sharp. Now I'm super-intrigued to hear if the older ones may be more open, clearer, more articulate. Even so, though, I'm never going for that horrible trapeze mistake of a bridge.Sorry to admit it, but I'd put a stopbar and tuneomatic on that thing, and if it sounds as good as described, would be on top of the world.

none2low

Reaction score
I've never heard or played P90s that old, live. It's interesting to hear the raves for the sound, because I don't find more recent P90s to be remarkable at all. Too aggressive at the front end, too thick, too sharp. Now I'm super-intrigued to hear if the older ones may be more open, clearer, more articulate
Vintage P90's are everything you just described.

The early 52/53's have something unique going on with them that is a little different than later versions. Not sure if its the magnets, wind pattern, baseplates or a combination of everything, but it you are looking for openness, articulation, warmth and chime it's tough to beat a 50's P90.

I have a set of 59's (from a Les Paul Special) that I installed in my R6 briefly, but decided that they were too polite for me. In that particular guitar I preferred the more aggressive biting edge of the stock P90's.

d1m1

Reaction score
I have a set of 1952 P90´s and they are the best sounding P90´s i´ve ever had. One of the best neck Pup tones ever. The bridge Pup i have to admit is a little thin sounding in compare, but still wunderfull.

RevWillie

Reaction score
I have a set of 59's (from a Les Paul Special) that I installed in my R6 briefly, but decided that they were too polite for me.
Interesting that you use the word 'polite' to describe those! :thumb:

I've considered every '50s Special I've played to be too polite for me - I prefer Juniors. IMO the suspended mounting of the Junior's dogear P-90 makes it sound better than regular soapbar P-90s.

none2low

Reaction score
I've considered every '50s Special I've played to be too polite for me - I prefer Juniors. IMO the suspended mounting of the Junior's dogear P-90 makes it sound better than regular soapbar P-90s.
I wonder why that is? All things being equal, the difference in pickup height, relative to string height, is about equal between the two and yet there is a noticeable difference.

d1m1

Reaction score
Appart from the fact that each P90 sounds a little different, there is absolutelly no tonal difference between dogear and "regular" P90s. What could be a reason that Juniors sound better or different in compare to lets say Specials is that there is no neck Pickup so the strings can move free with out being pulled by the magnetic field of the neck pickup.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
A friend of mine used to have a '53 LP - it was hands down the most amazing LP I have ever come across (I'm not sure, but I think it was like '57 or '58 they changed them slightly; still better than 'buckers, but the older ones are the freakin' Voice Of God!). I can get to CME in about 1.25 hrs; were I not flat stoney broke, this one would be long since at my house.

BSeneca

Reaction score
Vintage P90's are everything you just described.

The early 52/53's have something unique going on with them that is a little different than later versions. Not sure if its the magnets, wind pattern, baseplates or a combination of everything, but it you are looking for openness, articulation, warmth and chime it's tough to beat a 50's P90.

I have a set of 59's (from a Les Paul Special) that I installed in my R6 briefly, but decided that they were too polite for me. In that particular guitar I preferred the more aggressive biting edge of the stock P90's.
My 52 is VERY AGRESSIVE. Once again I agree there is something special about the early ones. I have played everything from blues, classic rock, funk and even Metallica on this guitar live. I roll the volume back slightly especially in older rooms with old wiring. This takes the hum out fairly well. Only thing I am going to change eventually are the frets. It has an old headstock repair and I never intend on selling it so I am making it better for me. Frets are fight at times. Not impossible, but I want fatter frets.

stephenwz968

Reaction score
My '52 is sweet and dark in the neck position, the bridge has a lot of bite without being ice pick. It's my go to guitar, even with the hum at gigs from the lights, etc, I never fail to be impressed with the tone.

RevWillie

Reaction score
I wonder why that is? All things being equal, the difference in pickup height, relative to string height, is about equal between the two and yet there is a noticeable difference.
I still think it's because of the larger base plate and suspended mounting of the dogear P-90 as opposed to the smaller base plate and screwed to the body mounting of a regular soapbar.

FWIW - I absolutely agree that 1952 and some 1953 trapeze guitars have excellent+++ pickups! :dude:

d1m1

Reaction score
I still think it's because of the larger base plate and suspended mounting of the dogear P-90 as opposed to the smaller base plate and screwed to the body mounting of a regular soapbar.

FWIW - I absolutely agree that 1952 and some 1953 trapeze guitars have excellent+++ pickups! :dude:
The base plates are same size and almost identical appart from the dog ear. Many 50ies "regular" P90s were dog ear P90s with cutted dog ears. Also the base plates have zero influence in tone. The wire, the magnets and the pole screws make the tone.

Latest Threads