1950's P-90 to PAF Les Paul Conversion

jimi55lp

Reaction score
Your work is spot on and always inspirational! Thanks for making the efforts to document this wonderful workmanship. It's great to know these types of damage and abuse can be so skillfully restored, "ROCK ON"!

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Jimbo so glad you are doing well. Thank you for sharing these.
Thanks Steve..!! It's been a rough couple years. I've had 5 surgeries, 6 weeks of radiation, 7 weeks of chemo, lost 45 lbs but I'm still here. I'm now dealing with the fall out from the high doses of radiation. I'm hoping this cancer thing is behind me. All is Good...!!

greens

Reaction score
I sanded 1/32" off the thickness of the neck to get rid of the SS number. To make up for the 1/32" I had to glue a mahogany piece into the neck pocket. Otherwise there would be a 1/32" gap from the bottom of the heel to the neck pocket.
Ah, I see, I didn't notice you sanded the heel and the whole tenon, I thought you just did the heel. I think on every Les Paul I've seen in pieces the heel was proud of the tenon so I just figured that was the case here.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing this thread. Amazing work. Hope and pray all the best for your recovery back to normal.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Ah, I see, I didn't notice you sanded the heel and the whole tenon, I thought you just did the heel. I think on every Les Paul I've seen in pieces the heel was proud of the tenon so I just figured that was the case here.
That's the case only with Historics, Reissues:

On vintage guitars the heel is flush with the bottom of the tennon:

mapleflame

Reaction score
Thanks Steve..!! It's been a rough couple years. I've had 5 surgeries, 6 weeks of radiation, 7 weeks of chemo, lost 45 lbs but I'm still here. I'm now dealing with the fall out from the high doses of radiation. I'm hoping this cancer thing is behind me. All is Good...!!
I cross my fingers that its behind you as well. Awesome to hear and glad you are able to continue to share your great talent. It's the best mental rehab you can ask for.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I'm just getting started with treatments....glad to hear you made it thru,,,gives me hope. Beautiful job on the LP. :bowdown I have had limited access to vintage LP's in my life, but do enjoy my historics. I'd love to play that one sometime! :cheers2:

g6120

Reaction score
Great thread .….. enjoyed seeing the work you did thanks