1950's P-90 to PAF Les Paul Conversion

boogieongtr

Reaction score
It drives me a little nuts that the checking isn't horizontal. Great job on the conversion, though!
No way to control the direction the checking will go. Here's an original 58 from last year's Ft Worth guitar show. The checking is all vertical. Also the majority of 57/58's that I have seen had white color rings like this one.

Last edited:

boogieongtr

Reaction score
I'm a little confused by this one - I guess I'm not seeing the relationship between the pocket and the bottom of the neck heel.
I sanded 1/32" off the thickness of the neck to get rid of the SS number. To make up for the 1/32" I had to glue a mahogany piece into the neck pocket. Otherwise there would be a 1/32" gap from the bottom of the heel to the neck pocket.

amused

Reaction score
the work is really good... I would not have set the neck off just for the SS# but still it is nicely done for sure... I loved the color too, I would also have preferred a more horizontal relic but the cracks are beautiful on that finish.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Based on the color of the burst I would’ve used the fingerboard in the center. Curiosity has me here Jim, which one did he pick? Also, neither headstock has the original tuners. Will you replace those with originals after paint?
I think it was #3, the tuners were a set of reissue Kluson's that I aged.

RichTurner

Reaction score
That refin on the Goldy is just beautiful. It looks so much better than those straight line check jobs to my eye. It makes me want to send my R6 to HM for the same treatment :)

Brilliant story and work by all.

Rich

framos

Reaction score
Great thread, great work, thanks for sharing!

JJ Blair

Reaction score
The pictures of other GT's you guys posted are hairlines in the clear finish. I don't think you're going to find GT's with that deep and raised checking, all the way to the wood in a vertical direction on LP's. I mean, I've really, really studied checking to duplicate the correct look on my refins. I only ever see that direction of deep checks on ES models. I hate to detract from the amazing work Jim did, but it doesn't look natural to me. And even if it were horizontal, the edges are raised in a way that makes it look unlike a vintage gibson.

And I've gotta say, depending on which lacquer you use, how thick you apply it, and your method of freezing, I find directionality to be pretty consistent. If it were going north south like that on me, I'd find a different lacquer.

BTW, I would love to see checking of this nature (not the hairline stuff you guys posted) in vertical, if you have it. It'll be a new one on me, and one for my records.

amused

Reaction score
@Who, if you look at the general vocabulary used in the relic world, we talk about horizontal lines when the guitar is lining in a vertical way lol

That's how it is at least, and when I want to have a look at my guitar, i usually let it rest on my couch vertically, so lines are definitely vertical on this one ...

Anyway, very interesting post from JJ Blair here, I am with him, I saw some vertical lines on ES but never on LP, or very little sometimes around the switch...

I really love the deep checking in fact, but maybe a mix of horizontal and vertical would have been more accurate...

Last edited: