1950's P-90 to PAF Les Paul Conversion

drmmrr55

Reaction score
The weakest glue joint is end grain to end grain. When you make a plug with the grain going the same way as the body the longest two sides of the plug will be end grain to end grain. For a goldtop finish where you don't see the grain match I do it like in this thread. When I make plugs that will get a sunburst finish I will always make sure the grain of the body and plug go the same way and match up.
I'm not worthy...that is in a word...greatness!

D-Badger

Reaction score
The fingerboard on the guitar is not the original board. I'll make a new Brazilian fingerboard so it matches up to the width of the mahogany neck. The owner had his pic from these three.
Based on the color of the burst I would’ve used the fingerboard in the center. Curiosity has me here Jim, which one did he pick? Also, neither headstock has the original tuners. Will you replace those with originals after paint?

monty john

Reaction score
Fkn awesome...need an apprentice?? Love woodshop....anyhow WHO are you?? Do you have a repair shop? okok sorry for my ignorance in advance LOL

greens

Reaction score
Next I'll clean up the neck pocket.
Touch up the bottom of the mortise.

I'm gluing a piece of mahogany into the neck pocket. This is to replace the 1/32" to the thickness of the neck when I sanded out the etched serial number on the heel.
I'm a little confused by this one - I guess I'm not seeing the relationship between the pocket and the bottom of the neck heel.

waggclan

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at post #24 I see that the “Les Paul Model” has been sanded off. In post #44 it reappears and looks like it is the original. How did you ackomplish this Jim?

Steve

moreles

Reaction score
Thanks for creating this thread. It is really inspiring (and interesting) to see thoughtful, meticulous work like this. It's a rarity. I have a particular love for restored and converted guitars when they're done really well. The hack jobs abound; great work like this is rare.