1950's P-90 to PAF Les Paul Conversion

Les Paul John

Reaction score
Time to glue the neck in with hot hide glue.

Layout for the ABR1 bridge

Bore and tap out for the bridge posts.

Route out for the Humbucker pickups.

Strung up and the pickup routes look correct for a 57 PAF guitar

Frets installed per my customers specs and Pickup rings installed before paint.

Looking so awesome!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
His goldtop finishes are IMOP the Best in the business...!! He did 4 for me last year and I have 3 at his shop now, all 52-57 conversions.
Their Goldtop color and metallic texture is spot on, but their unconscientious and unprofessional work on two of my vintage guitars probably cost me $20,000+.

Not a fan...

Last edited:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
I do have a question, Jim: why are the pickup-rout plugs crossgrain? I would have thought they should be oriented to match the body/cap grain direction.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
I do have a question, Jim: why are the pickup-rout plugs crossgrain? I would have thought they should be oriented to match the body/cap grain direction.
The weakest glue joint is end grain to end grain. When you make a plug with the grain going the same way as the body the longest two sides of the plug will be end grain to end grain. For a goldtop finish where you don't see the grain match I do it like in this thread. When I make plugs that will get a sunburst finish I will always make sure the grain of the body and plug go the same way and match up.