1950's P-90 to PAF Les Paul Conversion

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Someone pm me and asked me to elaborate on the new Brazilian fingerboard. I have them milled to my specs on a cnc (radius, fret placement, inlay route, thickness, size) I use the Bartlett binding.

After the binding is glued on I bore a 6/32" hole for the side dot inlays. I a had this template milled on a cnc for exact side marker placement.

For the side dots I buy a tortoise shell pickguard from the 50's and punch out the dots.

The inlay material is Cellulose Nitrate and cut by my cnc guy.

Next glue and clamp the inlays using a 12" caul.

Fingerboard ready to be glued back onto the neck.

I glue the fingerboard with hot hide glue and build tension on the truss rod. Got this tip from Dan Erlewine, check it out:

Mission accomplished...

strömsborg

Reaction score
Can't get my head around the thread title. In for P90 to PAF conversions? Looks like they already had humbuckers in them.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can't get my head around the thread title. In for P90 to PAF conversions? Looks like they already had humbuckers in them.
They were converted, I believe they are being put back to p90s.
The guitar started life as a P-90 guitar, but it looks like humbuckers were installed at one point with some crudely done pickup routes. I believe Jim is filling those routes and doing proper humbucker routes as part of an overall conversion to a late '50s style LP.

Frank

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Won't the new humbucker routes completely mask that this once had P90s?

moreles

Reaction score
Very nice. I'm a fan of conversions when done well. I think the resulting guitars can be genuinely better than the original. Like others, I don't get the glued-in blocks filling the old routs. Why is the grain vertical? Is it mostly just going to be routed away anyhow? Congratulations on this excellent work.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Time to glue the neck in with hot hide glue.

Layout for the ABR1 bridge

Bore and tap out for the bridge posts.

Route out for the Humbucker pickups.

Strung up and the pickup routes look correct for a 57 PAF guitar

Frets installed per my customers specs and Pickup rings installed before paint.