16 Ohm To 8 Ohm Problem

Torren61

Reaction score
I have two custom 1X12 speaker cabinets. One has a 16 Ohm Celestion Alnico Gold and the other has a VERY old 16 Ohm Jensen. My amp heads want to see 8 Ohms. I don't want to run my cabs in parallel. Can I simply buy two 2" 16 Ohm tweeters, remove the cones, mount them somewhere in the cab and connect them in parallel to the existing 16 Ohm speaker to get my 8 Ohms?

Will that solve the problem?

axepilot

Reaction score
You don't want to daisy chain to get 8 ohms?

Are you running stereo?

Adding tweeters and ripping out their cones seems like a lot of excess gyrations.....:hmm:

What do you seek?

( Howdy, Torren 61! How are you? :))

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Sorry, but no.
The tweeters would blow in seconds.
You either need an appropriate dummy load to make up for it, or wire the cabs correctly.

Torren61

Reaction score
You don't want to daisy chain to get 8 ohms?

Are you running stereo?

Adding tweeters and ripping out their cones seems like a lot of excess gyrations.....:hmm:

What do you seek?

( Howdy, Torren 61! How are you? :))

Hey John! How have you been? I have a new phone number. Text me when you want it.

Torren61

Reaction score
Sorry, but no.
The tweeters would blow in seconds.
You either need an appropriate dummy load to make up for it, or wire the cabs correctly.

Hey Cyg. How can I wire a single 16 Ohm speaker differently to make it an 8 Ohm? What would make an appropriate dummy load? I'd like to use two heads at the same time (two heads are better than one).

Big John

work hard, play harder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
THD 16 Ω Hotplate, set to load, in parallel with the speaker cab.

Torren61

Reaction score
THD 16 Ω Hotplate, set to load, in parallel with the speaker cab.

:shock:

Okay. The cheapest THD 16 Ohm Hotplate I found is $199. The cheapest 12" 8 Ohm Celestion Alnico Gold speaker I could find is $235. Wouldn't it be better if I bought that speaker and sold my 16 Ohm speaker? If I sold my speaker for more than $36 I'd be better off than buying the Hotplate. I still couldn't run two separate heads with both cabs and the Hotplate.

I guess what I'm asking is: What modifications do I need to do to my cabs to bring the 16 Ohm impedance down to 8 Ohms? Let's not think about the Hotplate idea. I appreciate the effort into thinking of a solution but that's not the way I'd prefer to go. :)

12watt

Reaction score
It would be better to get a new speaker at 8 Ohms I think. Trying to run a parallel load will change the sensitivity and the response of your speaker.

Or that thing in the post above ^^^^

marvar

Reaction score
I have two custom 1X12 speaker cabinets. One has a 16 Ohm Celestion Alnico Gold and the other has a VERY old 16 Ohm Jensen. My amp heads want to see 8 Ohms. I don't want to run my cabs in parallel. Can I simply buy two 2" 16 Ohm tweeters, remove the cones, mount them somewhere in the cab and connect them in parallel to the existing 16 Ohm speaker to get my 8 Ohms?

Will that solve the problem?
Why don't you want to run them in parallel? that would be the easiest, cheapest, and safest- problem solved with the purchase of 1 more speaker cable.

KenG

Reaction score
Parallel is the way to go. It's a common wiring scheme for speakers. Depending upon your amp output jacks you will either needs two cords or a special Y cable. Pay attention to the phasing too.

Latest Threads