15 inch speaker?

gruveb

Reaction score
I'm going to convert my THD Univalve into a combo amp and was wondering how a 15 inch speaker would perform. Anybody played on one? How do they handle high frequencies and so on?

Atomic

Reaction score
larger diameter speakers tend to have a "boomier" sound. its not necessarily better or worse.. its personal preference. there have been quite a few nice cabs built around a 1x15 or 2x15 configuration. some old SUNN cabs come to mind. they sounded pretty good.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use an old Fender Dual Showman 2x15 JBL Tall Cab, with my JCM800 head. I really like it.

dynabite

Reaction score
Most 15" bass speakers with 1/2" cone dispersion cut off around 2khz and require a added horn for high end, which I use with a switch to disable the horn for added effect, and I know alot hate the horns. I just use this for bedroom playing for low wattage amps that usually are equipped with 6" to 10" speakers that don't have a wide response. If you want a serious 15" for gigs or rehearsal look for a 15" guitar speaker that doesn't have 1/2" cone dispersion. I use a JBL D130F that can't be used for bass or keys.

gruveb

Reaction score
Yeah, this would definitely be something I'd want to use at GREATER than bedroom levels. Even in my bedroom, I like to make it louder than that.

Oh, yeah...I do say, "What?" a lot.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't do it. There's a reason guitar speakers generally stop at 12". Too much moving mass unless you're going to drive it at an insane volume. Go with a 2x12 combo. It's what I did.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well, don't forget Fender put 1-15" in the Showman, then 2-15" in the Dual Showman.

Especially when they are D130F GUITAR speakers.

Don't shy away from trying them just because they are a bit different, you might be pleasantly surprised. In that vein, a lot of guitar players like using bass speakers. It's all about your tone.

gruveb

Reaction score
Another concern I have is being able to find a 15 with a low enough rating that I'll be able to push it with the Univalve.

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
im not a big fan of 15 inch speakers for either bass or guitar. my experience is that they get too boomey. 12 is ideal for my guitar use and i like 10s for bass. note that with my style i like my sound to be very tight with both guitar and bass. i would try a 15" inch for real drop tuned stuff, or for a smoother sound.
once again i like my sound to be very tight. follow your ear, your mileage WILL vary.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I always thought 15s didn't have a fast enough response and were way too bass heavy for guitar applications, they sound great in bass cabs but just don't sound good for guitar.

mad dog

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of 15" speakers for guitar. 3 of my amps are 1x15. Two tweed pro types, and an Ampeg Gemini II. These speakers are slower reacting than the smaller ones. That's certainly true. The other negatives mentioned are hard for me to relate to, as I've not experienced any boominess or difficulty driving such amps at lower volumes.

Emi Big Ben: ceramic, big bass, LOUD. way better loud than quiet. Rips and roars.
Emi Legend 151: ceramic, big bass, LOUD. Extremely balanced, smooth. A rather vintage tone. Just as good quiet as loud.
Weber Cali paperdome ceramic: Nothing JBL like about it. Warm, soft edge with muscle underneath. Where the big ben roars, this one howls.

those are the current faves. You don't get more low end with 15s in my experience. You get a very different mids and highs. Highs especially.
MD

Hamtone

Reaction score
My only experience is with my fathers ampeg gemini, and its a chellenge to judge the sound because to me the amp sounds so Ventures like, thats I hear with it.

SRV had a couple 1x15 amps and you can buy a fender twin ri with a 15", but I have never heard any of them.