120th Anniversary Studio fake?

Nikpaki

Reaction score
Hi all, recently had the oportunity to buy a LP Studio Ebony from 2014 in 600$... i think the price is fair but theres some issues about the guitar that. make me doubt about it... im not an expert on. LP guitars so maybe. you can help me to avoid a potential scam. First of all its an Studio but has the inlay crow not the LES PAUL CHARACTERS. on the head, second. theres a white binding. on the guitar and i thougth that the studios dont have any. of it., the truss rod cover. is blanck, and has zebra hambuckers ..so if you c an help me ill be gratefull... Thank you guys
LP1.jpg
LP2.jpg
LP3.jpg
LP4.jpg
LP5.jpg

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I have 2 ideas, but I'm not an expert on 2010-2020 Les Pauls so I can be wrong:

1) It's a refinished 2014 LPJ pro or a 2014 LPM.
The neck is correct, the trussrodcover has been changed to hide the original model
Someone added binding and added a gloss finish to make it look more expensive

2) Its a LPJ or LPM neck with a different body

Either way, I don't think $600 is a good deal

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Well the Studio Ebony model that Gibson did in 2014 looked like this:

I remember some of the ebony Studio's from the 90's having gold knobs and hardware (tailpiece and bridge) and FWIW I have occasionally seen the Gibson 'crown' on Studio models

But pretty sure that none of them had binding... and the zebra pickups and PCB in the cavity? The binding on the one you posted looks off (I'm thinking someone has done this job themselves), and the shape of the 'open book' headstock seems maybe not quite as pronounced as usual? I'm sure others more qualified than me will chime in, but yeah it doesn't quite add up to a guitar that left the factory looking like this

Les Kiwi

Reaction score
Thinking it could possibly be a LP Classic from 2014. The Truss rod cover has definitely been changed and the studios didn't have/don't have binding. Also the gloss top.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Thinking it could possibly be a LP Classic from 2014. The Truss rod cover has definitely been changed and the studios didn't have/don't have binding. Also the gloss top.
Yeah but weird aye. Why would you try and pass off a Classic as a Studio?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it’s stolen? Trying to hide the true details to evade getting caught out? Like you loose a classic you be searching les Paul classic all day long not studio.

filtersweep

Reaction score
Maybe it’s stolen? Trying to hide the true details to evade getting caught out? Like you loose a classic you be searching les Paul classic all day long not studio.
No way- it costs too much. Ther SN is the only detail that matters.

The tuners look different. The headstock looks refinished--- looks glossy and poorly done, but yet the inlay and logo are clean-- very strange. I thought modern headstocks were very matte? Binding? The nut looks weird. No matter what, it is wonky.

No matter what it is, it is really strange anyone would choose these mods--- and if they did, they should be fully disclosed by the seller. It definitely did not leave the factory that way.

Cookiee

Reaction score
Classic would have neck binding and a MOP logo.

My guess is a refinished 2014 LPJ due to the headstock veneer.

endial

Reaction score
Classic would have neck binding and a MOP logo.

My guess is a refinished 2014 LPJ due to the headstock veneer.
Yeah, this. That "binding" ain't nothing but a piece of tape. If it were actual binding it would overlap into the top slightly.

bum

Reaction score
I'm certain it's Gibson, exactly what model I am not sure

musicmaniac

Reaction score
It's real. It's got faux binding and a different veneer.

Nikpaki

Reaction score
Thank you all. I guess im gonna pass that guitar, as many said im pretty sure its a gibson, but definitely not an studio. im learning how to identify a legit gibsons guitars and all your comments were so usefull.

Sinster

Reaction score
I have 2 ideas, but I'm not an expert on 2010-2020 Les Pauls so I can be wrong:

1) It's a refinished 2014 LPJ pro or a 2014 LPM.
The neck is correct, the trussrodcover has been changed to hide the original model
Someone added binding and added a gloss finish to make it look more expensive

2) Its a LPJ or LPM neck with a different body

Either way, I don't think $600 is a good deal
Early LPJ or LPM?... I think the later models didnt' have the crown.

I don't think 600.00 is bad if it's a LPM. Offer 500.
For the LPJ that's pretty close to the MRSP.

Get the serial number and send ask Gibson what model it is.

Last edited:

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That can not be binding. Looks like a sticker.
the reflection in the pic should have been on the binding because the binding should go to the top.

Also I'm not sure in the pic but the bridge studs may have the metric/ Epiphone flat head tops.

and thats when i see the stupid washer under the switch nut that the Asian guitars use.
But it has the Gibson pcb.

id want to see the truss rod nut, close up of the bridge, close up of the binding,and maybe pull the knobs and a pic of the potentiometer shafts on the painted top.

Also a pic of the back of the headstock in the light.

It’s fishy, IDK

5993085D-5217-4610-BB70-88604B504801.jpeg

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Usually when I see studios with binding, they have binding on the neck but not the body. A bit odd to see the reverse, body binding without neck binding.
Classics and standards would have both body and neck binding.

SteveFromBoston on YouTube discussed how binding can sometimes be removed during a refret. I wonder if it’s a classic that had the binding taken off during a refret.
That or it’s a studio and someone added “faux” binding to the body afterwards.

none2low

Reaction score
As others have noted, the "binding" looks more like a sticker, than actual binding.

Can't say for certain what model it is, but I'm about 95% sure it is a Gibson (based upon everything that can be seen)

That said, If you can snag it in the $500-550 range I would do it. There's really not much out there currently below $800 and I really don't expect to see prices coming back down for a while, if ever.

I hate to say it, but I think the days of $4-600 Gibson's has sailed. Unless of course you come across someone either desperate for cash, or that absolutely doesn't care/know what they have. Heck even used Mexican made Fenders are sitting around the $5-600 mark now that new ones are close to 1k

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more i look......
look at the pup ring. (And i can be wrong with this but.....

you see how the Gibson one doesn’t have a sharp corner and follows the screw. That guitar has the mertic “looking” pup rings.

37DDD638-D421-4A4F-BE04-04B2EFDB3E0C.jpeg

this is my agile. And that guitar looks like the agile (Epiphone style)

E9F7847A-06DF-4F5D-A258-B06EDE08C2FC.jpeg

none2low

Reaction score
I get that people are skeptical, but can anyone honestly say they've seen a Chibson with the "120th anniversary" inlay.

IMO, the rosewood board looks nice, the frets and fret end shape looks like typical Gibson USA, the pcb and quick connects all look correct (appears to have some sort of treble bleed mod) the pickups to my eye have the correct bobbin color, the knobs look like the typical Gibson USA shade of gold, and the tuner tips look right.

Has it had some modifications? Perhaps, but are we going to judge authenticity based upon modifications now? Maybe the original owner didn't like the color of the factory pickup rings and pickguard, so they grabbed something off ebay that was closer to what they had in mind. And truss rod covers get replaced all the time. Same with bridges and tailpieces.

For the benefit of the OP we shouldn't be so quick to judge. My advise is proceed with caution. Verify the serial number with Gibson if you can and then go from there based upon what you learn.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt none2,

A few pics would shed some light on things tho.

my post about the rings maybe wrong but thats cuz the pics are blurry.

gball

Reaction score
Best guess I have is it's a 2014 LPJ that's been refinished, probably at home by how wavy the clear coat looks, and had faux binding and vintage-style tuners added in the process.

Latest Threads