12 ohm speakers

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
Hi all.
I was looking for 2 10" weber alnico classics at 16 ohms so I could run in a 2x10 cab in parallel for an 8 ohm load and also at times run it with another 8 ohm load cab for a 4 ohm load total.

Now I've been offered a pair of 12 ohm 20 watt 10A125s weber classics, which would give me a 6 ohm load.

Would these work in the 2 situations I described? Should I be cautious or am I just being paranoid:D?

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
If your amp can go to 4ohms, running 6ohms should be ok...according to others on the forum. I always match the load, but as long as you don't go lower than 4oms, I think you will be good.

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the response RH1.

My only real concern was if I wired the 2 x10 cab in parallel(each speaker @ 12 ohms), that would give me a 6 ohm cab. So I can use the 4 ohm speaker out on my Phaez. But now if I run both speaker cabs(a [email protected] ohm and a [email protected] 6 ohm), total is 3.43 ohms, which is lower than the 4 ohm on the Phaez. Not usually good to go lower than the amp can handle.

Wait...what if I wired the 2 x 10 in series:wow: I think I just answered my concerns. a 24ohm(2 12ohm wired in series) cab and an 8 ohm cab(1 x 12) would give me a 6 ohm load. Run that out of the 4 ohm tap.:hmm:
I have a parallel output on the 1 x 12 cab to go to the 2 x 10 cab which would be wired in series. So I would have to re wire that 1 x 12 for a series output, would I not?
If I wanted to just use the 2 x10(now 24ohm in series), would I run that out of the 16 ohm tap on the Phaez?

Might be easier to pass on the great deal on the 12 ohm spakers and just order up some 16 ohm speakers from Weber:D

TWANG

Reaction score
3.4 ohms is close enough to 4 for you to go with that.

measure all your speakers. you don't always fnd an 8 ohm is 8 ohms.. sometimes it's 6.8
or 7.4 or whatever.. and same with most speakers.

Paragon

Reaction score
8 ohm designation is the impedance of the speaker, not resistance. The DC resistance will always be less than the impedance. Just look at the specs of speakers like on celestion's site.

Latest Threads