11th Gibson Les Paul

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Since I first joined MLP in 2010, and really learned a lot about the Iconic Les Paul guitar, I have been on a joy ride ever since. I have purchased and played around 25 Les Paul's since 2010. My first Gibson Les Paul Studio to my Last Gibson Les Paul Classic, number 11. This may be my last Gibson Les Paul, since I really have everything I need from it and my others. This is a great looking guitar, that came almost perfectly setup, and the pickups sound great. The 2022 Gibson Les Paul Classic is a powerhouse player, with push/pull pots giving you some flexibility to change your tone a bit and the BB 61's that have plenty of punch/clarity giving you that excellent Gibson Les Paul sound that all of us here at MLP love. :dude:

This is my #11 that just might be the last Gibson Les Paul I purchase.

lpclassic_number11_2.jpg
lpclassic_number11_1.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Only 25 purchased??
Yes, only 25 Les Paul's purchased. There of course were some Strats, Superstrats, a Telecaster, a couple Chapman ML1's, a couple Gretch, a couple LTD's, a PRS and a couple Ibanez's.

OMG, I have lost so much money on re-sale. :facepalm:

I did find out in the end though, that I only really love high quality LP's. :cool:

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
OMG, I have lost so much money on re-sale. :facepalm:
If you don’t mind my asking, which guitars did you take the biggest bath on financially?

In my experience, I had the most trouble recovering my money from the less expensive guitars.
Once the prices got bigger, I rarely had trouble recovering my money.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If you don’t mind my asking, which guitars did you take the biggest bath on financially?

In my experience, I had the most trouble recovering my money from the less expensive guitars.
Once the prices got bigger, I rarely had trouble recovering my money.
My 2017 Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom Yellow Widow Burst, even just a 1 of 10 made. This was on Craigslist for Months at $4800 and down to $4200 with no bites, except a couple $2800-$3000 offers.

lpcustomywb4.jpg

lpcustomywb6.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
So...where's number #12?
If I really wanted to pull the trigger for #12, it would have been on this 59 Re-Issue Mod Shop below with 20% off. The Basilisk Burst, for $6129. But it came with a BB1 in the neck and a 57 Classic in the Bridge, it should have had some custom buckers or something a lot better for pickups. I would have had to spend money right away changing the pickups if I purchased it. This guitar is what made me think a lot about if I were to purchase another Gibson Les Paul and eventually came to the conclusion, that I really don't need another Gibson Les Paul. Then I went through all my Gibson Les Paul purchases since I joined MLP and purchased my first Gibson Les Paul Studio. My last purchase was #11, so I decided to put that number on my LP Classic. My 2014 LP Signature, 2017 LP Studio HP and 2022 LP Classic are just fantastic, such great guitars that I feel so lucky to own.

The Basilisk Burst below kind of reminds me of the Custom Orange Widow Burst that got away from me. If it would have come with better pickups, I very well may have taken the plunge.

RAM019645-2.jpg

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... This may be my last Gibson Les Paul, since I really have everything I need from it ...
I highly doubt that #11 is the last one. If it took 11 Les Pauls to get to "everything you need", there will be a 12th ... and there is nothing wrong with that. As for #11, I dig it and its Pete-Townsend-number vibe too. Killer guitar, bro, and okay by to get one more.

moreles

Reaction score
I read a lot about people searching for some ultimate guitar, and just as much about people building a horde of variants of the same model. I find this interesting because I honestly don't understand either approach -- at all. Speaking only for myself, experience shows me that playing a few guitars is more stimulating and refreshing than using one, though I do have one I use most often. My own experience is such that it's pointless for me, as a player, to use more than a few (3 or 4) instruments regularly, and since the other vanish from my experience, I don't need or want them. This is also a way, way easier approach to manage than looking for a single best thing or maintaining a whole pile of stuff. Few/better is my angle.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I read a lot about people searching for some ultimate guitar, and just as much about people building a horde of variants of the same model. I find this interesting because I honestly don't understand either approach -- at all. Speaking only for myself, experience shows me that playing a few guitars is more stimulating and refreshing than using one, though I do have one I use most often. My own experience is such that it's pointless for me, as a player, to use more than a few (3 or 4) instruments regularly, and since the other vanish from my experience, I don't need or want them. This is also a way, way easier approach to manage than looking for a single best thing or maintaining a whole pile of stuff. Few/better is my angle.
Yes, you got that right. It does take a bit to find those few instruments that you truly love and don't want to part with. But anything more than 4, 5, or even 6 is just too many to really manage and take care of let alone play them all the time.

Latest Threads