11 months after relocated family-kids still hate it here.

Sinster

Reaction score
I hate South East Florida as well!!!!

Flanigan's have some nice blacken chicken.. I was sitting in Flanigan's in Stuart, FL when Sand Hook broke on the news.

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
The way you lay it out, it doesn't sound like any of you are that keen on staying in Florida. Were you all keen on going in the first place?

Because if you all were, then you can all just admit that it didn't work out and go home.

But if some of you didn't want to go in the first place, then it's hardly surprising that those still aren't keen. The others have simply come round to that view. In which case, the people who liked the idea will have to back down a bit and admit it wasn't a great idea.

In any case, as no one seems to be very happy, and as everyone seems to have rational reasons to want to go back, I'd go back, I think.

basschick22

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish you and your family all the best.

My personal experiences of moving were negative both times during my school-age years. The first time my family moved, we moved from a smallish town in Oklahoma to a suburb of Baltimore Maryland. I was just going into the third grade and it was a huge culture shock. I think I suffered greatly from anxiety, and I've had a tendency to be a nervous person since.

That said, I finally got used to the faster pace of the east coast, made many friends, found my passion in music, and finally felt like I was fitting in and feeling well-adjusted.

Then, halfway through my sophomore year in high school, my family moved back to the smallish town in Oklahoma. We moved during the blizzard of '94. I have a lot of loose ends that I'll never be able to tie up, and I was at just an age where I could start to consider "what ifs" in my life. I hate to admit this, but here it is: I don't think I'll ever forgive my parents for that second move.

Not for moving back to my hometown where people that I had previously went to kindergarten with were suddenly treating me as a stranger, but because it was during the middle of the school year, and we were missing school for the snowstorms, so I didn't get to tell some friends goodbye, or the goodbyes were incredibly brief in nature. It was a very depressing time for me at fifteen years old. I would be a better musician had I stayed on the east coast. I would have been much less awkward socially had I stayed on the east coast.

I am thankful for having seen a different part of the country, but it did come at a price for me, in my opinion.

So after all that rambling, my advice is that if you're going to move back, please don't move your children during the school year. It could harbor resentment for years and years. I'm glad that you're considering your children during your moves.

My $0.02

VanR

Reaction score
Reminds me of these words of wisdom. Sometimes having is not as pleasurable as wanting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wtYGZt7aI4]The wisdom of Spock: Wanting is a better feeling than having - YouTube[/ame]

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
Reminds me of these words of wisdom. Sometimes having is not as pleasurable as wanting.

The wisdom of Spock: Wanting is a better feeling than having - YouTube

You do know, don't you, that that line was written by some hack scriptwriter who needed a pithy sentence to bring a plot thread to a close? If it had worked to have Spock say, "You may find that bean sprouts are the root of all flarble elephant b'doing," that's what he'd have said.

But even if it were coincidentally true that having is not as pleasurable as wanting, then surely if they go back to Indiana and then feel it was a mistake, and wish they'd stuck it out in Florida, then it would be equally true that wanting to have stayed in Florida may be more pleasurable than having stayed in Florida.

So Spock's observation is neatly applicable and utterly inconclusive in any situation.

45WinMag

Reaction score
Never look to Spock for advice.

Trust Yoda.

Seriously though, it seemed to me from the first post that you had already decided what to do and just needed a sounding board to hash out whether it's really the best idea. You already know what's best for you and your family, we don't. A weeks visit should be just what you need to confirm whether you are right.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Truthfully, after almost a year of dealing with the South Florida work force, I have almost had a gut full myself. 19 employees, 3 are stellar, 3 are pretty damn good, 3 are acceptable the rest are absolutely horrid. Finding people that want to work (I mean actually show up every shift and not act like they are 12) is almost impossible. Its been a constant revolving door of interviewing candidates, hiring, training and watching people that were seemingly well adjusted humans when they were hired turn into flakes and weirdos right before your eyes.

Its not just my business, its every damn place down here. Try to get a guy to show up and fix your AC, spray for pests, mow your grass etc---These people won't perform for any amount of money. ....

same here..... moved to NC four years ago..... out of the four of us, my oldest daughter was the only one who adapted..... she's 27 and just got married in April, to a local kid...... my wife, my youngest daughter who is now 21, and myself really would rather be anywhere else..... and we are working towards making that happen with great difficulty.

found the same thing as far as work ethic and local business practices, can't get anybody to show up when they promise to, it could be days later if you're lucky.... worse there are very few real jobs where I'm at..... unemployment is staggeringly high.

as some others have stated, sounds like you have a plan in mind... good luck.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
Absolutely no harm in saying "Florida didn't work out" In fact, I have never been a guy that has any real trouble admitting defeat, or that I am wrong.

If we move back to Indiana, there are some positive changes I will make as a result of our Florida stay. I have figured out how to make time for my own individual well being. I have figured out that walking around with my kids, just shooting the shit and throwing a football or playing corn hole, or casting fishing rods is all we really need.

Sitting in the yard with my wife, while enjoying a beverage on the swing is really all the excitement we need, anything else is just fluff--

You sound like someone I'd want to hang out with. Family and home -- that's what it's all about. Good for you.

I wouldn't look at it as defeat or a wrong decision that you made. You tried something different, and you like Indiana better. Not a bad thing -- in fact I think its great that you're willing to admit that Florida might not be for you or your family.

Keep us posted!

huffdaddy

Reaction score
Blues, I can't remember what the business is. But is it something that could be left in the hands of a trustworthy partner and managed, or at least checked on from a distance (Indiana) ?
Or could you move the family back home and commute for periods of time ?

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I kinda had feeling this was going to happen when you first talk about moving away from Indiana.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
just curious if it is mainly the business that is driving you crazy.

not sure if I told you before, but me and my girl were planning on doing the same thing in a few years __ so if you don't mind, I'm curious to know what sort of problems you are having. feel free to pm me if you don't want to discuss it on the forum.

JTM45

Reaction score
My wife and I did a similar thing, we moved out of the Carolina's looking for a little culture, pro sports, and nice beaches and weather. We recently moved back to the Carolina's because the quality of human in south Florida was just above poop. It was like the rich and the wanna be rich, everything was way too fast and the people way too rude. Go back home man, it's fun to try things and places, but in the end the kids are the most important thing in this. Just what I would do man, good luck. Or you can try the west coas of Florida it's filled with mid westerners and most are wonderful people, great beaches, good food, schools I think are oK,, we spent a ton of our time over there.

180gROC

Reaction score
Maybe pick someplace else that splits the difference and move there?

Moving from Indiana to South East Florida is almost as bad as Indiana to Los Angeles.

There's plenty of middle ground out there.

Reaction score
I wish you and your family all the best.

My personal experiences of moving were negative both times during my school-age years. The first time my family moved, we moved from a smallish town in Oklahoma to a suburb of Baltimore Maryland. I was just going into the third grade and it was a huge culture shock. I think I suffered greatly from anxiety, and I've had a tendency to be a nervous person since.

That said, I finally got used to the faster pace of the east coast, made many friends, found my passion in music, and finally felt like I was fitting in and feeling well-adjusted.

Then, halfway through my sophomore year in high school, my family moved back to the smallish town in Oklahoma. We moved during the blizzard of '94. I have a lot of loose ends that I'll never be able to tie up, and I was at just an age where I could start to consider "what ifs" in my life. I hate to admit this, but here it is: I don't think I'll ever forgive my parents for that second move.

Not for moving back to my hometown where people that I had previously went to kindergarten with were suddenly treating me as a stranger, but because it was during the middle of the school year, and we were missing school for the snowstorms, so I didn't get to tell some friends goodbye, or the goodbyes were incredibly brief in nature. It was a very depressing time for me at fifteen years old. I would be a better musician had I stayed on the east coast. I would have been much less awkward socially had I stayed on the east coast.

I am thankful for having seen a different part of the country, but it did come at a price for me, in my opinion.

So after all that rambling, my advice is that if you're going to move back, please don't move your children during the school year. It could harbor resentment for years and years. I'm glad that you're considering your children during your moves.

My $0.02

After reading alll that rambling your telling us instead of being a mature adult and moving on.. Your blaming your parents for making you socially ackward and so- so musician,

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Move back. The other stuff is not worth the bullshit. SE Florida ? I'd rather be kicked in the nuts than live there.

Thundergod

Reaction score
Dude, I sincerely hope things get sorted out and you end up doing what's best. No one can say what it's gonna be, but I am kind of in the same situation right now (only 7 months in though) so I feel your pain man.

Our 16 year old daughter absolutely hates it--most of the hate is due to her refusal to even make any real attempts at making friends and taking advantage of all of the cool stuff there is to do around here.

My 8 year old son likes all the things there are to do, but really misses his family and friends-

Sadly not everyone considers the same stuff cool and interesting, it's happening to me too.

I like it here, but truthfully, have been so busy with our business, that I absolutely do not get to take advantage of all the things I wish to do in my free time, as I have very little free time-

Is it a new business? If so, the first years are usually hell IMO, but once you are through it's gonna be way better than working for someone else... and you'll have time for the important personal stuff. (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of! :( I'm working 20 hour days in here and sometimes feel I just want to give up...).

Its not just my business, its every damn place down here. Try to get a guy to show up and fix your AC, spray for pests, mow your grass etc---These people won't perform for any amount of money.

Oh yeah, that's the same in here, I just had to order 4 washing machines (of the commercial/industrial(?) kind) because the "certified tech" damaged them while performing maintenance and clean up... he won't admit to it and even sent his bill! :laugh2: (I laugh because I am no longer interested in crying or getting mad).

DRF

Reaction score
2 things stuck out in this thread for me. "home is where the family is" (this is so true its painful and I didn't realise that myself until I moved for a short time) and "theres a lot of middle ground between FL. and IN. Those preteen or even teen yrs are awkward anywhere and people usually make their new lifelong good friends around 14-16. So its a transitional period anyways. I'd rather do all this stuff in a warm climate, I'd say the same thing if asked when I was young.

basschick22

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
After reading alll that rambling your telling us instead of being a mature adult and moving on.. Your blaming your parents for making you socially ackward and so- so musician,

No, you must have missed the part where I stated "because it was in the middle of the school year".

Also:

You are = you're

and

"Your" is possessive, as in 'belonging to you'.

Then there's the word 'awkward'.

...and speaking of moving on...;)

Latest Threads