100 push ups a day

sk8rat

Reaction score
since the gyms are all closed and i've been working out at home I decided to start doing 100 pushups everyday before my workout. not as part of my workout but to supplement it. I do 25 pushups, then 25 squats, take a short break then another 25 and so on. yes, it does suck but I have already noticed a pretty large improvement in strength.

if you've have been working out at home and have minimal equipment I recommend it.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss the gym, but I have a large asst. of dumbbells and a nice bench. Pushups are awesome!

danohat

Reaction score
100 push-ups a day changes your body fast. I know plenty of people who say it doesn't do much but I've had a different experience. You get stronger, better at push ups, lose fat and tighten abs. Also, you get sick of push ups.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's a reason that the Army had us doing pushups every single day... :thumb:

I just endured periodontal surgery today... yikes. Looks like (and feels like) somebody slugged me in the jaw, and that's even though I've kept the ice pack on it since I got out of the dentist's office.

So while I was being given aftercare instructions, I was told not to work out for at least three days and preferably five. Turned out that they don't want my heart beating at an advanced rate because this has been known to cause additional bleeding in various patients. Got me a big mouth full of stitches right now... top and bottom left side of my skull and lower jaw, inside my mouth. Son of a bitch! :shock:

I was mildly upset by this order to discontinue exercise for a little while.

In the last six months I have lost 69 pounds-- I went from 278 on down to 209. Beyond the dieting, a lot of that weight loss came about by way of a personal exercise regimen I engaged in. But now I can't do it for a while... sheesh.

Right when I got to where I was really enjoying it, too! :(

Ah well... all I can tell ya is that my guitar sessions are about to increase in duration... so there's the silver lining, I guess.

--R

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll do it about 3 times a week, right after getting out of the shower. 3 sets of 40 pushups with about 90 seconds in between. Still wrapped in just a towel. Sometimes I'll have a little shoulder or elbow pain and forego the pushups, but can usually work around that in the gym. At the gym, I'll usually do smaller sets (20 slow reps) in between sets, just to stay in constant motion. There, I'll usually set up a chair and elevate my feet above my shoulders to put a little more than normal body weight on my hands, which I keep as close to each other as possible. Hands together and elbows out. Seems to work more that way on your upper chest, triceps, and trapezius. I'll also cross my feet , so I'm core-balancing on the ball of one foot.

Pushups are not generally my favorite exercise, but they do have their benefits.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You guys are inspiring me. I used to run and belong to a gym. When I travelled I would always hit the hotel gyms, too. As I slowed my work and reduced my travel, I also (for whatever reason) stopped working out. I put on weight and got lazy.

When, I stopped working last summer, my weight jumped from 190 to 220+. I should be around 175-180. I went from a 33 waist to a 37. And, I can feel the struggle of carrying those extra pounds.

I do not have any home equipment, since I always went to the gym. And, right now I cant join a qym.

So, maybe I'll try pushups, situps and such. I am doing a combination of walk/run for about 3-4 miles every day. I have been feeling much better from just that. I hope by May, to be back to doing a full run for 3 miles every other day.

Pushups, eh? OK. Tomorrow. Let's see what happens. Thanks @sk8rat :fingersx:

Scooter2112

Reaction score
You guys are inspiring me. I used to run and belong to a gym. When I travelled I would always hit the hotel gyms, too. As I slowed my work and reduced my travel, I also (for whatever reason) stopped working out. I put on weight and got lazy.

When, I stopped working last summer, my weight jumped from 190 to 220+. I should be around 175-180. I went from a 33 waist to a 37. And, I can feel the struggle of carrying those extra pounds.

I do not have any home equipment, since I always went to the gym. And, right now I cant join a qym.

So, maybe I'll try pushups, situps and such. I am doing a combination of walk/run for about 3-4 miles every day. I have been feeling much better from just that. I hope by May, to be back to doing a full run for 3 miles every other day.

Pushups, eh? OK. Tomorrow. Let's see what happens. Thanks @sk8rat :fingersx:
If you don't have ANY weights at home, you won't find any now either. I've checked at least 10 places over the past 2 weeks, and the shelves are as bare as the toilet paper aisle. Had to make due and get creative with what little weights I still have and some stretch bands. Body weight exercises are a good place to start.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Pushups are 100% useless.

I state this as a fully functional adult who cannot do two pushups. I don’t know that I’ve ever been able to do 15 in a row. Ever. And I was in the US military.***

There is not a single functional thing that you do that uses pushup-strength. Nothing.

They are cool, though. Doing pushups makes you good at doing pushups. So you’ve got that going for you, which is nice.

***Okay, it was the Air Force. We never had to do more than five in a row, and never more than 15 in a day. True story.
I'll agree, for the most part. But they do aid in burning calories overall, as well as stimulating muscles to burn calories in those affected areas.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know about 100% useless... they are obviously no where near as good as targeted muscle exercise, for sure. But, any resistance training does break down muscle and allows it to rebuild, burning calories and boosting metabolism.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
If you want a quick full body workout, go throw one of those big ass truck tires around for 15-20 minutes. Pretty much works everything at once. If you're not in shape to do that yet, you'll surely over do it and feel like your crippled for the next 4-5 days. :laugh2:

tire-workout-muscular-man-truck-doing-crossfit-style-turning-over-33973916.jpg

NRBQ

Reaction score
I'm on a different plan, right after my shower where I normally eat my raisinets, I do three sets of 10 cookies each. Then after a breakfast of maple syrup straight out of the bottle, I do a full set of treacle tarts. After that I do a 10k run to the freezer for ice cream. Of course the k stands for key lime pie. Finally I end the workout with a wafer thin mint. Of course I'm just virtually pulling your leg, actually pulling your leg would be too much work, I'm paying a guy in India to work out for me, when he's done he phones me with the results.

Yelir

Reaction score
Any tips to work out or do sets of exercise with your partner? I have more experience with routine and regular workouts but would like to hear other ideas to motivate her! We also want to get in 30-60 minute yoga class but I still work full-time so planning isn't easy!

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Any tips to work out or do sets of exercise with your partner? I have more experience with routine and regular workouts but would like to hear other ideas to motivate her! We also want to get in 30-60 minute yoga class but I still work full-time so planning isn't easy!
When you do your pushups, have her crawl underneath you. :naughty:
Just don’t count your reps out loud. That tends to spoil the mood.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
while i can do my fair share of them, I much prefer free weights so I can actually work each side the same.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Could never do push ups.

I lost a lot of weight in 1986 . Still had a gut.

Did a boatload of sit ups to flatten it. Got up to 300 in one session. Still had the belly flab.

Latest Threads