$100,000 Les Paul R8

HearHear

Reaction score
I can imagine what might have been going through that guitar owner's head:

Hmmmmm...fancy sports car or guitar....... fancy sports car or guitar....... fancy sports car or guitar.......guitar is cool but it's not a 150mph chick magnet, soooooo......

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Cripes, get that thing away from the damn edge of the pool, you're freaking me out!

The white car in the add is definitely a Porsche 911 with a 959 body kit. A real 959 is worth something north of $1,000,000.
So this guy is a real connoisseur of mediocre fakes. I should let him make me an offer on my "Rolex"...

(That was for the purposes of the joke, I'm sure this is an excellent guitar. The Porsche wannabe... not so much)

swampblues

Reaction score
Being originally from Memphis I spent all my free time at Strings and Things before it burned. I owned a Natural Les Paul they had refinished to their spec's but as I recall it had a different type serial number like Guitar Trader and Jimmy Wallace special orders. Not saying that's not one of their guitars but they command NO WHERE near that much as they are pretty much slightly upgraded Standards. I saw one for sale awhile back and he was asking $9000

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I also enjoy the fact most guys only ever sell the best guitar they've ever owned or played. Why do that??? :laugh2:
Hey, I’ve let go a lot of stuff in the past that I wish I kept! A small idiotic part of me will always believe what I’m buying was once loved.

Johnny Breeze

Reaction score
He's been posting that guitar all over the country for ages. I used to live in Memphis in '76 and '77 and that was an incredible store. Picked up a sunburst '74 standard there.
Are there standards in 74??

Uncle Vinnie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Strings and Things? IIRC there was one of those here in Michigan back then.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Premium Member
Reaction score
"The guitar is a great investment and will increase in value each and every year."

You should put a disclaimer clause around that. In 5-20 years, when Boomers (by far the biggest demographic who has the will to buy an original, let alone a 70's reissue) are no longer *ahem* actively buying (or living for that matter, medically speaking), where do you think all these vintage guitar prices will go. Sure, people will keep one in the family for sentimental purposes, sure, museums will pick up a couple, but once boomers are gone good luck trying to exit your "great investment" (especially if adjusted for inflation).

Whenever I see people saying what a great investment something is because they KNOW where prices are going, no matter the asset class (guitars, equities, bonds, crypto's, etc.), the fact of the matter is you don't, so please avoid masking speculation as fact.

I guess in this situation, if someone does have a spare $100k lying around, hopefully they're smart enough to make their own calculated decision.