10" speakers for modeling amps

jbash

Reaction score
Does anyone make a FRFR in a 10" size?

Not looking for a powered amp cab or such, just the speaker itself as a potential replacement in a modeling combo

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
There are full range drivers you can buy that people use for home stereos. I thought about buying one a few times. The issue might be the flat response part. But getting a truly flat response probably also has to do with the cabinet design.

The more I look into the FRFR thing, I don't get it. Most guitar speakers actually have significant drop off over 10k hz. So why do you need a speaker that goes to 20k hz to emulate one?

KStopper65

Reaction score
The more I look into the FRFR thing, I don't get it. Most guitar speakers actually have significant drop off over 10k hz. So why do you need a speaker that goes to 20k hz to emulate one?
Because the EQ is applied before the sound hits the speakers. This eq is also called an Impulse Response.
The FRFR is to make sure there is not additional equalisation

hbucker

Reaction score
When I tune my AX8 with an FRFR, it dovetails nicely when I run it direct to a PA without needing to eq my channel on the PA so it sounds right. As apposed to making it sound very good through a non-FRFR, and then having it sound wonky through a PA because I've had to EQ it for the speaker I'm using.

If you only plan to mic your speaker, use whatever sounds good to your ear. But if going direct is what you intend, I recommend FRFR. - Less headaches.

And because of IR's and parameter adjustments available on my AX8, even though my FRFR can produce 20khz doesn't mean it's putting those frequencies out unless I want it to.

mdubya

Reaction score
Friedman uses a 10" Celestion in their ASC-10 which is pretty highly recommended as an FRFR powered speaker.

Speakers:10" Celestion LF driver, 1.75" HF compression driver

You may want to investigate that one further.

If I was in the market for a powered FRFR, the Friedman ASC-10 would be high on my list.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Yamaha makes a 10" powered PA speaker that kicks ass with modelers.

jbash

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input, Thank You!

Unfortunately I don't have any need/use for the powered versions (and space is at a premium in my temporary living quarters) This would go into a CODE 25 which is my new practice amp (again... I had one for a bit that my Son took to college a few years ago).

I may just end up ditching the cab modeling and put a 10" Greenback in it.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Code 25 and went on the same kind of search. Ended up putting a 10" Goldback in it. Very expensive mod but it sounds great.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any full range PA speaker or monitor will do exactly what you need. They are all so called "FRFR" speakers....

I would be looking at good quality, well known PA and monitor speakers rather than FRFR speakers made specifically for guitar. That's just marketing.

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You could try a Celestion VT-Jr. It is the speaker used in the Blackstar Silverline Standard. And it sounds pretty good in that amp

It's Marhsllesque voiced, well priced, and sounds good. Fender used the 12" in their 68 DRRI tube amps.

BECAUSE, my research, I just did on the Marshall Code, is that it doesn't use an FRFR speaker, but a generic Chinese made Guitar speaker voiced' for the amp. Some think it is just a generic Audio woofer.

Proof is easy to verify. If running just music or backing tracks through it through it sounds meh or bad, then it isn't FRFR. From what I read, that is what you will find. Big guitar mid spike, harsh sounding on musiv and backing tracks.

Others you can try are flattish guitar speakers

Some had great effect with 70/80 12" in the 50 watt code. Not sure if Celestion has a 10" version. But, Warehouse Guitar Speaker has the ET10, which is a 10" version of their ET65, which is their take/improvement on the flatter 70/80.

YOu could also wire up a simple switch and jack, to use external CABs.

Latest Threads