10 music genres the Beatles invented by accident

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
The problem with history (moreso now than ever) is people attempt to distil it into a narrative, and then they go further and distil it to a very narrow list of dot-points. The Beatles were big, the Beatles were great (I really like their early stuff the most), but they did not exist in isolation or without inspiration from music in their childhood, history or other contemporary bands. Crediting any one band with creating a genre in isolation (Motorhead is another example that's used in this way) is a perfect example of that distillation. Just an observation of mine.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem with history (moreso now than ever) is people attempt to distil it into a narrative, and then they go further and distil it to a very narrow list of dot-points. The Beatles were big, the Beatles were great (I really like their early stuff the most), but they did not exist in isolation or without inspiration from music in their childhood, history or other contemporary bands. Crediting any one band with creating a genre in isolation (Motorhead is another example that's used in this way) is a perfect example of that distillation. Just an observation of mine.
Very true. Take Punk for example, it wasn’t invented, it was a point in time when someone noticed something different was going on, wrote about it, called it something and others jumped on.

PeteK

Reaction score
I had a similar thing where I watched the Yesterday movie and realized I knew way more Beatles songs than I thought. Honestly, I don't think I ever really appreciated the Beatles until I sat down and listened to their albums as a whole, instead of my technically millennial (born in 1982, some fuckers say that makes me millennial) tendencies which is to just listen to songs individually. So like rather than putting Beatles Pandora station on and hearing songs randomly, I sat and listened to albums start to finish. I think that's where it really clicked. Like I always knew they wrote good songs, but it really drove it home at the album level when I hear the entire album, and it's all good no filler.

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought Abbey Road and Revolver after seeing the Yesterday movie.

Now I have the Red Album and plan on getting the Blue album soon. (since that's 4 albums total and basically all the hits)

yeah I never really appreciated them either. I really only liked Metal and Hard Rock up until I was around 30. Then I heard and started playing with Flamenco music and that really opened me up to listening to new things.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
It was Beatles Rock Band that made me realihow many damn Beatles songs I knew intimately.

I knew every single song and I remembered the melodies and everything.

My dad was a huge Beatles fan...he grew up in Leeds, England and played them a lot when I was a kid.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a similar thing where I watched the Yesterday movie and realized I knew way more Beatles songs than I thought. Honestly, I don't think I ever really appreciated the Beatles until I sat down and listened to their albums as a whole, instead of my technically millennial (born in 1982, some fuckers say that makes me millennial) tendencies which is to just listen to songs individually. So like rather than putting Beatles Pandora station on and hearing songs randomly, I sat and listened to albums start to finish. I think that's where it really clicked. Like I always knew they wrote good songs, but it really drove it home at the album level when I hear the entire album, and it's all good no filler.
And think about how many albums they recorded just in their first few years.

voggin

Reaction score
I love the white album. It has some flaws, but if you want to hear breadth of songwriting/genres, nothing matches it. Dear Prudence and I'm so Tired are probably Lennon at his best, and McCartney runs the gamut from Honey Pie and Martha My Dear to Helter Skelter and Back in the USSR. Jesus, if I could only write one of those tunes!

PeteK

Reaction score
Even their shitty ones were really good.
I know. They are good in a flower power innocent kind of way. I'm just never going to want to sit down and listen to that early stuff.

voggin

Reaction score
My faves are, in order:

White Album
Revolver
Abbey Road
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Magical Mystery tour (I know, to purists not an album but a compilation)
Let it Be

Strawberry fields and Penny Lane had to be the best double a-side single ever.

Nard

Reaction score
Maybe because it was the first Beatles album I ever heard I love Beatles For Sale. It’s an album that gets a lot of criticism and both Lennon and McCartney have stated they disliked certain songs on it. As a kid it was new to me as I’d only heard Motown up till then but to this day it’s one of favourite albums.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
John Lennon wrote Good Morning while enjoying a bowl of Corn flakes-breakfast inspied rock-is that a genre? :rofl:

Airplane

Reaction score
Pretty cool looking documentary on Netflix...

Guess that'll be tonight's movie for me
This film got me into the Beatles when it came out. I listen to Revolver and more psychedelic songs like Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields and Blue Jay Way every day now. Before that i listened to Dylan and Jefferson Airplane 90% of the time and never got tired of it (still don‘t).

I wouldn’t say they really invented a genre (like “electric“ Dylan did IMO) but now that i‘m in the rabbit hole i totally agree that they were the most creative and inventive band of the 60s.

James R

Reaction score
I bought Abbey Road and Revolver after seeing the Yesterday movie.

Now I have the Red Album and plan on getting the Blue album soon. (since that's 4 albums total and basically all the hits)

yeah I never really appreciated them either. I really only liked Metal and Hard Rock up until I was around 30. Then I heard and started playing with Flamenco music and that really opened me up to listening to new things.
The Blue album is one of my deserted island albums.
That's the era of them that I most enjoy, and I think they did a great job of putting that album together when it comes to the flow of the songs they chose.
Never get any complaints when I put it on either, regardless of who I'm hanging out with.

Gibsonian

Reaction score
I love the white album. It has some flaws, but if you want to hear breadth of songwriting/genres, nothing matches it. Dear Prudence and I'm so Tired are probably Lennon at his best, and McCartney runs the gamut from Honey Pie and Martha My Dear to Helter Skelter and Back in the USSR. Jesus, if I could only write one of those tunes!
And Clapton playing his probably most emulated solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dear Prudence came about because Donovan taught Lennon how to finger pick while they were in India. I love that song.

Two killer tracks where Ringo shows he was an innovative drummer and Paul a unique bass player.

John, George and Ringo (no Paul)