vaguely

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum!
Here's my 1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Basalt Blue/Blue Sparkle!View attachment 436081View attachment 436082View attachment 436084View attachment 436083View attachment 436085
Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum!
Here's my 1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Basalt Blue/Blue Sparkle!View attachment 436081View attachment 436082View attachment 436084View attachment 436083View attachment 436085
Crushing on this. Wow! Stunner!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Yeah, not the holy grail, but I am sure that got video "clicks"....don't forget Austin has a BUSINESS.

I have seen these videos before......

so, has your guy at Gibson got any factory info that says "basalt blue" for these?

Not the Guitar center reissues that Trog speaks of, but the original ones.

I don't know if you hav seen these videos on youtube?

I have a friend of mine who worked for Gibson as a historian for over 30 years. He has all the books and knows all the history....

My guitar is an early 1975, made at the Kalamazoo factory....

Have a great day/M

Last edited:

brianbzed

Reaction score

MartinGibson

Reaction score
Yeah, not the holy grail, but I am sure that got video "clicks"....don't forget Austin has a BUSINESS.

I have seen these videos before......

so, has your guy at Gibson got any factory info that says "basalt blue" for these?

Not the Guitar center reissues that Trog speaks of, but the original ones.
The Blue Sparkle is BASALT BLUE They were made between 1975-1977. Gibson called them BB.
The Red Sparkle is ROCKET RED only made in 1975. 125 made that year. The Rocket Red Sparkle is called RR.

The Gibson Custom shop made a tribute of these guitars in 2017/2018?!
They made 75 pieces each. Same exact color. Named the same as in the 70's. ( I was told they were built to 50's specs, with chunky necks etc.)

There was a Rocket Red Sparkle for sale in Germany on Reverb a few months ago. I think they wanted 10K for it. It was for sale for a long time. Last time i looked like a month ago = SOLD!
These guitars are not for sale that often.
Most of them have breaks or repairs.
My buddy who worked for Gibson as a historian for over 30 years sold a Rocket Red Sparkle back in 1981 to a guy in Amsterdam, Netherlands. He told me my blue sparkle was the first he have ever seen, and he's been in the business since 1972!
It's a rare fiddle...
I play it every now and then, and it sounds fantastic.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
The finish might be rare..... the model isn’t.

Color doesn’t make a guitar sound fantastic.... and mini-humbuckers are still not more popular than full size humbucker....

10k is stupid.....

That being said I still like it.....;)

MartinGibson

Reaction score
The finish might be rare..... the model isn’t.

Color doesn’t make a guitar sound fantastic.... and mini-humbuckers are still not more popular than full size humbucker....

10k is stupid.....

That being said I still like it.....;)
It's a Deluxe from 1975, nothing special! Just a Les Paul Deluxe!
That being said, It's a rare fiddle. Color has nothing to do with the sound. Plain and simple....
I like it and it sounds exactly like it did when i grew up.
That's it! :cool:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
It is a great guitar, no question about it......

but if your “Gibson guy” has never seen another and he has been doing this since 72, he has not been out too much......I have seen, handled 20+ of these instruments in Blue and probably close to 50 in Red.

Please remember, I am a drummer that got bit by the LP bug, less than 10 years ago....didn’t know Norlin from Nothing before that.......

I have had my hands on a White one......but never a green one.

There’s usually 1 or 2 at every major Guitar Show.

Again, what I have never seen is any Gibson literature or advertisements that used the term “Basalt Blue”...I am not disputing it, but I have never seen it.....still haven’t.

I don’t believe for a minute you will sell this in the US for 10K.......sorry.

Asking prices are NOT selling prices.

I am not concerned with the reissues as that has absolutely no bearing on this conversation.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a Deluxe from 1975, nothing special! Just a Les Paul Deluxe!
That being said, It's a rare fiddle. Color has nothing to do with the sound. Plain and simple....
I like it and it sounds exactly like it did when i grew up.
That's it! :cool:
The Deluxe has been produced since 1969 and by the mid seventies it was in peak production..... not rare at all.....(well maybe rare outside the US)..... what is rare are unmolested examples.... with THAT being said there have been closet kept examples popping up all the time.... to be quite honest there’s nothing really deluxe about a Deluxe...:cheers:

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Let’s see how long this one stays for sale.......

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
waitaminute, is this the thread you were going to show your wife to justify how much you paid because it was an "investment" guitar? Start a new one, we've got your back, bro

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious..

If you have a Basalt Blue Deluxe and refinish it, is that worth more than an untouched Deluxe of another colour?

This one set me thinking going for £1999 / $2477

RefinishedBasaltBlue.jpg

It is still Basalt on the inside...

Basaltontheinside.jpg

Latest Threads