1 single coil + 2-way switch + high pass/low-cut filter?

youdevil

Reaction score
hi all,

i want to wire up a 2-way switch on a single-pickup single-coil guitar so that position #1 is normal, and position #2 engages some sort of high pass filter that'll strip away the bass and leave me with a super bright sound.

kind of like a rhythm-lead switch but with just one pickup!

i got the idea after inserting a fender TBX tone control into another guitar -- when you turn that thang up from the detente and engage that 1 meg pot (and resistor) the effect is dramatic.

and while it works fine, i'd also like to have the build option of a switch that immediately pops into the fully engaged, high-pass state. in other words, the audible effect would be just like turning the TBX knob "up full", but i'd get it by simply flipping a switch that sends the current thru whatever appropriate parts generate the effect.

not to get into the weeds, but from what i've read the TBX, as a double-pot device, combines the normal tone pot/cap for the usual result, with another pot and a resistor. what's not at all clear to me is which of all those parts, wired as they are, are required in order to achieve just one thing: maximum level of bled-off lows!

hope that makes sense. many thanks for your advice.

chris

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
Do you have a volume pot on the guitar? You probably want to switch in a capacitor in series between the pickup and volume pot. You can read up on the wikipedia page for high pass filters to get a better idea of how it works.

You might want to get several capacitor values and some alligator clips so you can test to see what sounds best to you.

youdevil

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. yes, this would be downstream from a single volume knob.

i did check out the wikipedia entry but sadly i am not very sophisticated when it comes to the principles behind these electronics. it's all i can do to follow the wiring diagram that comes with the pickups!

i'm really going to need a spell-it-out-in-crayon, "solder one end of an XYZ resistor to the middle lug of a thus-and-such switch, and the other end..." set of directions.

humbly,

chris

FF_Pedals

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. yes, this would be downstream from a single volume knob.

i did check out the wikipedia entry but sadly i am not very sophisticated when it comes to the principles behind these electronics. it's all i can do to follow the wiring diagram that comes with the pickups!

i'm really going to need a spell-it-out-in-crayon, "solder one end of an XYZ resistor to the middle lug of a thus-and-such switch, and the other end..." set of directions.

humbly,

chris

It doesn't have to be downstream from the volume, you can put a capacitor between the pickup and the volume:

pickup hot - - - - -||capacitor||- - - - - Volume lug 3

Latest Threads