1/4 mile times - 60/70s muscle vs newer economy cars?

Skeletor

Reaction score
I have a vague recollection of someone posting a table that listed a bunch of cars from the 60s through the 2000s along with horsepower/torque and possibly 1/4 mile times.... I think it was in one of the Tesla threads but my search has been fruitless.

Anyone got a copy of that table or a link to the thread?

If memory serves it showed that some dog of a car (Pontiac Aztek maybe?) had a quicker 1/4 mile than some of the revered muscle cars from the 70s.
I'd like to find a copy of it to show to a fellow gearhead at work... see if it dashes his illusions of the greatness of vintage muscle cars as much as it did mine :)

jkes01

Reaction score
Nope, not in that one. Sorry. Yeah I remember it.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law's 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T (440-4V, 375 hp) bought new and still has, ran high 12s - low 13s. Not too bad for big ol' B-body Mopar.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
One factor - the street tires in the 60s and 70s were way down on grip compared to today's tires. The suspensions of old also had a harder time putting and keeping the power connected.

SAE HP figures were also revised in '72 I think.

We are in the real muscle cars days now.

Skeletor

Reaction score
They could go like stink, but the handling and braking... stunk.
Totally agree with you but.... the chart that was posted (if memory serves) kind of showed that a bone stock Aztek (?) Had a better quarter mile time than a big Block Chevelle (or something similar).
I don't recall the specifics but it was a bit of an eye opener.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Found that one in my search but...
The one I'm remembering had a bunch of modern stuff that we'd generally consider econo box dogs.... but they were quicker than the big boy icons from the muscle car era

Reactions: Who

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with you but.... the chart that was posted (if memory serves) kind of showed that a bone stock Aztek (?) Had a better quarter mile time than a big Block Chevelle (or something similar).
I don't recall the specifics but it was a bit of an eye opener.
Oh yeah. They say they don't build 'em like they used to. Good :D A 2020 Civic Touring Sedan will out corner the best handiing cars of the '70s, the best of which was a '73 Spitfire, no American cars in the top ten.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection of someone posting a table that listed a bunch of cars from the 60s through the 2000s along with horsepower/torque and possibly 1/4 mile times.... I think it was in one of the Tesla threads but my search has been fruitless.

Anyone got a copy of that table or a link to the thread?

If memory serves it showed that some dog of a car (Pontiac Aztek maybe?) had a quicker 1/4 mile than some of the revered muscle cars from the 70s.
I'd like to find a copy of it to show to a fellow gearhead at work... see if it dashes his illusions of the greatness of vintage muscle cars as much as it did mine :)
Wasn't the Pontiac Aztec the "Walter White car" in Breaking Bad?

Yeah, I don't see that whipping butt on my '55 I had built up in high school.

55 Chevy businesss coupe.

427 out of a 71 Vette, and the M22 Muncie 4 speed transmission, plus the dual plate clutch that went with it.

57 Pontiac rear end with 488's and a locker.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
That list is suspect. I have been reading up on the Boss 429 Mustangs due to the Paul Walker auction. Ford advertised something like 14.1 in the 1/4, Motor Trend tested and got 14.5. No way is 13.1 accurate in street trim. Maybe on slicks.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the Pontiac Aztec the "Walter White car" in Breaking Bad?

Yeah, I don't see that whipping butt on my '55 I had built up in high school.

55 Chevy businesss coupe.

427 out of a 71 Vette, and the M22 Muncie 4 speed transmission, plus the dual plate clutch that went with it.

57 Pontiac rear end with 488's and a locker.
What, are you Bob Falfa?

• Haha
Reactions: Who

Olds442

Reaction score
it's traction control systems changed the game and not HP improvements.

weight ratios dropped as well.

there's a version of the Toyota Rav 4, the six cylinder version that absolutely stomps old muscle car numbers. someone here has one, I remember them chiming in the last time we had this discussion.

crazy power to weight ratio on that RAV4.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What, are you Bob Falfa?
I thought I was in High School.

The very inspiration for my 55.

The 55 was my early graduation present. We all got a secondhand car or a trip somewhere. A whopping $500 bucks for the car.

I knew a guy in HS, Al Stone. His father owned Cherry Auto Wrecking. I asked him to tell me when a good big block chevy motor came in. Some idiot had wrapped his vette around a tree. I got the motor and trans for $250.

The racing fabricator that lived across the street and down the block helped me put it in. I got the motor mount from the JC Whitney catalog. Had to ding the firewall with a sledge for the rear of the valve cover to fit.

The car promptly blew up the rear end, first time out.

I combed the papers for a replacement. Found a rear end set up for gas drag door-slammers in Sunland, CA. Set up for 55, 56, 57 chevys. Man across the street helped me with that too.

Ran it at bracket races a while after high school. Then sold it as I went off to college.

Latest Threads