08 Goldtop real or fake?

Effected112

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am currently trawling my local classifieds (Australia) trying to find a deal on what will be my 1st les Paul; I have found this 08 model les paul standard said to be in great condition with little use for AUD 2200... I think this is a pretty decent deal.

Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Electric Guitar | Guitars & Amps | Gumtree Australia Redland Area - Cleveland | 1097238258

From comparing pictures of the 08 standards it all looks okay to my eye but would really appreciate thoughts from members before I ofer does this look real and right?

Appreciate your thoughts and look forward to soon becoming a member of the LP owners family!

Cheers

Stuart_tate41

Reaction score
Looks good to me however I'm not an expert but nothing is sticking out as wrong.

Tarz N Amps

Reaction score
From this pics, looks ok. The asking price is pretty high. I would certainly offer a lot less. Last one on eBay sold for $1625 (2013).

Tarz N Amps

Reaction score
I saw Clevland.....and assumed USA. $1621 is as low as they go.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Looks good to me but he must be asking too much because it was listed for sale 6 months ago.

bblooz

Reaction score
Looks good to me. There are fakes out there from china, so I would check in the control cavities and bring someone who is familiar with the typical LP components/wiring. If it checks out, make him an offer (he clearly states the price is negotiable). All he can say is no. You may be able to snag it for less than 2 grand AUS. Good luck!

Effected112

Reaction score
Hi All, thank you very much for the replies.

I am going to check it out today.
Pricing is in AUD so at the asking price this around the USD 1600 as correctly pointed out.

The price of a new LP here in will set you back approx AUD 4K approx USD 2.8 K thanks to the tanking AUD!

Again thanks for the reply guys

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
It looks legit to me. Keep in mind this is an 08 model standard with asymmetrical neck profile and push-pull pots.

Rewired

Reaction score
The price is a little high. Picked up a similar Standard GT last month for $1,475 USD. The gut and case are near flawless condition.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ If its indeed Australia, the market over here is about 50% higher.....both new and used. Low 2's is about as good as you get used. The market is also much smaller so the selling rate is lower. Also Asian imports are quite cheap as we are in Asia and hence shipping is very reasonable.

Effected112

Reaction score
The price is a little high. Picked up a similar Standard GT last month for $1,475 USD. The gut and case are near flawless condition.

That's a great deal! Unfortunately I don't live in the states. Taking that base figure you paid I would need to add shipping and import taxes which would have me having to paying AUD 2.8 - 3 K at least (USD 2.1-2.4 K) landed - so if I can get this for under AUD 2000 that's a pretty good deal in the current economy.

Thanks for posting

Effected112

Reaction score
^ If its indeed Australia, the market over here is about 50% higher.....both new and used. Low 2's is about as good as you get used. The market is also much smaller so the selling rate is lower. Also Asian imports are quite cheap as we are in Asia and hence shipping is very reasonable.

Spot on... I should have been looking 3 years ago when our AUD was going 1:1 with the USD today we are lucky to get usd .70 to 1 AUD.... The fallout of a slowing mining sector and trade deficit means buying these beautiful US made guitars is dearer!

To buy brand new you need to sell your 1st born :)

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Its the problem of living where we do.

I was lucky that I got the opportunity when we were at/above parity to the US$ a few years back.......one 1980 Deluxe, one 85 SG, and a 1974 Custom. Only the custom attracted duty!!!

Anyhow good luck. You might be able to get a great deal, but remember that a few hundred $$$ over the budget is nothing if the guitar happens to be a great one - you just need to demo it if possible.

Effected112

Reaction score
^ Its the problem of living where we do.

I was lucky that I got the opportunity when we were at/above parity to the US$ a few years back.......one 1980 Deluxe, one 85 SG, and a 1974 Custom. Only the custom attracted duty!!!

Anyhow good luck. You might be able to get a great deal, but remember that a few hundred $$$ over the budget is nothing if the guitar happens to be a great one - you just need to demo it if possible.

Thanks AR, yes I was looking at the possibility of "buying in" even buying at the USD 1600 mark is not worth it at the moment after you look at the true landed cost to my door here in Brisbane...

Finding a local deal seems to be the way to go for the moment - try a capitalise on those who bought cheaply and are now looking to off load.

Looking at the new 2016 Gibson and fender pricing is mind blowing with the increases...

Will let you know how I go cheers

brianbzed

Reaction score
Looks legit......I would run the serial number through Gibson, just for further verification. Good Luck!:fingersx:

Latest Threads