07 R9 or 14 R8

FKO

Reaction score
A buddy of mine chanced upon a 2007 R9 while he is shopping for a 2014 R8. He asked which would be a "better" buy given that they are priced similarly(3.5k+- region). I'm having a hard time giving him an answer since i don't have any R8 in my arsenal. Therefore, was hoping somebody with a 07 R9 and 14 R8 can give some insights. Both are flame-tops. And yeah, resale value is a concern for him.

ps. I did mention to him that the 2014 R8 are more "updated" and different pickups compared to the 07 R9. And a number of people has claimed that the 2014 R8 has similar neck profile to the 13/14 R9.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to answer without pics...the better top wins usually....especially internet sales....

But it comes down to which one sounds and plays better.....

Too many variables, glue, age, case candy, case, condition....an 07' while a great instrument (and an R9) isn't as accurate with various details that may or may not matter.

Here is a can of worms...ready? does the 07' have the COA? and is it paper or booklet? that could matter later in a resale. I had an 07 CR8 and its was a fabulous guitar.

FKO

Reaction score
hard to answer without pics...the better top wins usually....especially internet sales....

But it comes down to which one sounds and plays better.....

Too many variables, glue, age, case candy, case, condition....an 07' while a great instrument (and an R9) isn't as accurate with various details that may or may not matter.

Here is a can of worms...ready? does the 07' have the COA? and is it paper or booklet? that could matter later in a resale. I had an 07 CR8 and its was a fabulous guitar.

The Top on the R9 looks more "flamey" compared to the R8

The R9 is local to him; the R8 is from the internet, hence, would be hard to judge them on sound and play-ability.

Condition: R9 used (85-90% new); R8 brand new. He is new to the historic line, therefore, accuracy on details are not in his agenda, at least not yet.

The R9 comes with the OHC, paper COA & checklist. R8 comes with everything a brand new historic has.

rich85

Reaction score
R9 IMO especially being local

If he doesn't like it after a while, easy trade for something else

dave999z

Reaction score
May I ask where he's seeing a new R8 for $3.5k? It's cool if you don't want to say, but it'd be helpful.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a tough call on paper. I would say give the edge to the R9 given the local aspect. If he plays it and isn't blown away (unlikely based on my experience with '07 R9s), then maybe go for the R8.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
All depends. Spec wise the 2014 is "better". And the tops on the 14s? *drools*

But I'd be hard pressed to trade my 07 r9 with its rather plain chevron top.

FKO

Reaction score
Looks like even with the newer appointments on the R8; the "older" R9 still has its appeals.

jamman

Reaction score
He needs to play both ... The local 1 is easy ....The Online 1 ,If he doesn't jump on the local 1 after playing it ,could be bought and tried , If he doesn't think it's worth it or whatever , Make sure he has a return policy/approval period (BEFORE BUYING IT) so that he can return it if it's not what he likes or wants ...less shipping

Funny what happens when you get a really good guitar in your hands ,,,,Last thing your concerned with(IMO) is How Historically accurate is it .

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time giving him an answer since i don't have any R8 in my arsenal.
From around the early 2000s to now, a R8 and R9 built in the same year will be exactly the same aside from the R8 maybe having a thicker neck. Flame/plain top, neck, maybe weight, that's it.

If the '07 is stock, the only things about it I don't like are the corian nut, linear taper pots, ABR bridge wire. All three need either replacing ($) or some TLC.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
From around the early 2000s to now, a R8 and R9 built in the same year will be exactly the same aside from the R8 maybe having a thicker neck. Flame/plain top, neck, maybe weight, that's it.

If the '07 is stock, the only things about it I don't like are the corian nut, linear taper pots, ABR bridge wire. All three need either replacing ($) or some TLC.

Lol i better not gig my r9 tonight since my nut and bridge are wrong

Love ya timmeh

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Not because they're wrong. :laugh2:

The nut was known for tuning issues.
Linear pots have no taper.
The wire can rattle.

And thanks for quoting me. There were a lot of posts between mine and yours. :laugh2:

nutsauce

Reaction score
I've had a 2012 and 2014 R8. Loved them both and to me they sounded great, but the neck profile on an R9 is enough to sway me. The '58 neck is one of my least favorites.

Pythonman

Reaction score
What I have seen in comparing R9s and R8s is although similar, and with neck shapes somewhat similar, there seems to be more attention paid to the top carve on just about any R9 over what looks to me like a less dished, less edges curling up and somewhat flatter overall job done to the carve or most R8s and R7s. A few of the R9s I've owned had crazy swooping up edges that I've never seen on an R8. But, cant say one plays better or sounds better than the other as they're all over the place in those regards. My only gripe on any pre-2009 Historic is the pickup spacing now looks too close on them. Getting that spacing correct was up there with going back to using long neck tenons IMO.

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
Without pics I´d say the R9, based on the probably nicer looking madagascar RW board, and the fact it´s an R9 (will hold value better in ten years when people don´t care about hide glue etc any longer), and I´ll probably like the neck better.

tdarian

Reaction score
I'd try the R9 first and hope that it is a perfect match. Why not wish for easy? Trying before buying is always ideal. I'd focus on the fundamentals for me which would be Tone, Neck Carve and Appearance. If the 2007 felt good in my hands and had the voice, it would not be too difficult to address the pots, bridge and nut.

I'd love to find a local gem.

Latest Threads