.012s on my R6

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to give them try. Been using 11-50s since forever.

Strung up my R6 with 12-52s and was surprised by the difference in sound.

Overall loss of treble on all strings ... which I don't mind because I like the jazz box sound, and much more responsive, sound great with the P90s. The wound strings boom out the bass notes. That extra .001-.002 in string thickness makes a significant difference.

The down side ... it's like playing rebar. I have to tweak my set up, but damn, those strings fight your fingers on the way down to the frets.

Like the sound, don't like the feel. I'll give it some time to get used to them, but first impression is that I'll stick with 11s.

Any of you guys tried 12s? Opinions?

sonar1

Reaction score
When I ran heavier strings for jazz pretending, I’d set the action real low!
Heavy strings can go lower than light gauge,

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah - I have tried them. I currently run .009s on my 12-string dread, .010s on my Sheraton & Tele, and .011s on my jazzbox & 6-string flattop; only thing that gets .012s is the resonator (which is mostly used for slide).

But remember - LPs, Teles, Strats - anything designed back then or earlier - predate .012s (that's why they call them "light gauge").

I had a friend who ran .009s on his electrics, but .015s on his acoustics; swore you couldn't get tone with anything smaller.

He was, of course, insane..........

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve played 012-054s for many years.
As long as the unwound G string doesn’t get past 020, I’m good.

But lately I’ve been going the opposite direction - lighter.
Been thinking a lot about longevity. I want to be able to keep my chops for as long as possible, eliminate any unnecessary effort.

I recently got a hybrid 011-054 set (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky) and I’m still not happy.
I’m going down to 011-052s pretty soon. I should mention I like to play a full step down, which doesn’t exactly benefit from the extra bass of thicker strings IMO.

A thicker set can take stage beating and touring better though.

el84ster

Reaction score
I’ve messed around with all kinds of gauges. 12s will really up the voltage coming out of you guitar too. Can drive an amp a lot harder than say 9’s, that’s for sure!
It’s fun to try 12s, as was mentioned that what les Pauls and other early electrics were designed for.

mdubya

Reaction score
I use 9s on everything.

I have a couple (3?!) that came with 10s recently. I haven't bothered to change them. Yep, they play and feel and sound different.

The biggest difference, I find, is I play them differently. I might favor the G and B strings with the 9s, where my focus shifts to the B and high E on the guitars strung with 10s. :hmm:

Curious stuff, though the 10s don't bother me like I thought they would.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might swap out a 9 with an 11 when i got no 9s for my e....... that's it amigo.

Ain't wearing out my frets and fingers for no damn 12s..........not to mention carving up my nut for that pipe. Nope.

sparky2

Reaction score
One good thing with 12's is, if you are ever driving around with your guitar and the local Utilities workers are trying to repair a broken guy wire from one of those huge radio transmission towers, you could loan them your top E string.

Then you would be like a hero.

:oops:

RocketKing

Reaction score
I've been using Dr pure blues 10/52 on my les paul.
I also like the sound on the heavier strings but it's a bit too much of a fight to bend the A string.
Might settle for a 11/50 set

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
10-46 is a good all around gauge for me.
That's where I'm at. I used to keep three different guages around for different guitars. 9's for fenders, 11's for gibsons, 10's for gretsches and semi-hollows. Now I just order 10-46 sets by the dozen and put them on whatever. I like a little bit of a stiffer feel, so 9's aren't my bag...but going over 10's at this point doesn't appeal to me.

Latest Threads