007 Fans: Who's next?

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Idris should be the next WonderWoman.

Diversity, dig?

:laugh2:

I mean Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are women now right? That link in the OP for some bizarre and pointless reason had a 'the Women who could be Bond' slideshow that had nothing to do with the article,..it was just weird and in the way.

Lets quit f**king around and just go completely off the rails. Idris as WonderWoman. Reboot The Golden Girls with 4 black thugs from Harlem,..one of them a gay cross-dresser.

lets go full TILT!

My vote for Bond was mentioned in the OP and by Caleb. The younger Magneto guy. He's got 'the look.'

Bond always has a certain look to him, suave but capable of beating your ass,..and very British.

I like Tom Hardy but at any weight he really doesn't look like a Bond. Bond has a certain vibe to him.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
However, I'd be happy to see Idris get my shot at a license to kill....

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First of all, I think Bond is a long way from irrelevance since the films are all set in the present day. This allows the current writers/ producers/ directors to take Fleming's Cold War spy and bring him into the 21st Century.

Secondly, following that point, Britain (and the rest of the world as well) is changing. There are many loyal British citizens of color serving their government . . . and as evidenced by recent attacks, there are sleeper terrorists, too. So the idea of a Bond who is both British and black isn't so far-fetched.
Far fetched? Of course not

Needed, or even wanted? Also no.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rich, you also made my point for me :thumb:

There's been 8 Bonds in 26 movies and one TV program (if you include all live action portrayals), they all have one thing in common, and it's not the clothes they wear, the car they drive or the nationality on their passport.

There's a fan theory out there that all the different Bonds are actually all different agents who use the "James Bond/007" code name. If the producers want to legitimize that theory, I support that, and then anything goes. But as it is, Bond is an established character, and has been for 64 years, there is some sort of tradition and legacy. And if not, what's it all about? :dunno:
Iron Man, the character is 54 years old. HE has a similar establishment, tradition and legacy. He, is now a She, a Late Teenaged Woman of color now in the Comic Books. Thor, is a year older, and is now also a she.

Just saying, there IS a diversity/inclusion at all costs 'movement' out there that coopts existing, long-running characters, primarily white male ones, to be more diverse, INSTEAD of creating new, viable, good, diverse characters.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and they did have a 'younger Bond reboot',..it's called The Bourne Identity.

anyone like it? :laugh2:
As an action movie, I liked it. HOWEVER, I also hated it because I read the Original Bourne trilogy, and Damon's character is NOT the Jason Bourne of the books.

Reactions: ehb

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I watched the Bourne movies twice and still barely remember them. I remember lots of hectic fast-edit fight scenes,..and blue,..like there was a blue filter over everything.

I remember the first one more than the others. Him on the boat at the beginning,...the (french?) woman ... and that's about it. Kind of forgettable.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Idris should be the next WonderWoman.

Diversity, dig?

:laugh2:

I mean Iron Man, Thor and Captain America are women now right? That link in the OP for some bizarre and pointless reason had a 'the Women who could be Bond' slideshow that had nothing to do with the article,..it was just weird and in the way.

Lets quit f**king around and just go completely off the rails. Idris as WonderWoman. Reboot The Golden Girls with 4 black thugs from Harlem,..one of them a gay cross-dresser.

lets go full TILT!

My vote for Bond was mentioned in the OP and by Caleb. The younger Magneto guy. He's got 'the look.'

Bond always has a certain look to him, suave but capable of beating your ass,..and very British.

I like Tom Hardy but at any weight he really doesn't look like a Bond. Bond has a certain vibe to him.
Bah! Diversity has nothing to do with my opinon on Idris, I simply think he'd be good at the role.

I remember participating in a thread just like this leading up to Craig getting the role, probably 15 years ago, and I thought that Will Smith would make a good Bond (well, except for those giant freakin' ears of his). He's got the goods too though I don't know how good he is at an English accent.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the Bourne movies twice and still barely remember them. I remember lots of hectic fast-edit fight scenes,..and blue,..like there was a blue filter over everything.

I remember the first one more than the others. Him on the boat at the beginning,...the (french?) woman ... and that's about it. Kind of forgettable.

She's German. Franka Potente, the chick from Run Lola Run, who I found incredibly hot, incidentally.

the-bourne-identity-movie-still-franka-potente-as-marie_1109533-400x305.jpeg

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

A good popcorn action flick.

NOT at all like the books. Books premise was: World's number one Assassin, Carlos The Jackal, could not be caught. They decided to create a new Assassin, base him in Asia, named Jason Bourne, start attributing kills to his name, both from other operatives, as well as the person posing as the physical Jason Bourne. HE was a special ops guy in Viet Nam recruited for this task force.

1st movie is closer to book, than the following movies. Even then it diverges a lot. Marie, in the book is a Canadian government economist, Marie St. Jacques. He takes her as a hostage to escape a hit squad after him. She escapes and tries to turn him in, only to find the 'police' are the bad guys after Bourne. We find out later these are Carlos; men.

Treadstone does go after Bourne, but only after a Carlos operative shoots a bunch of them and frames Bourne.

The Bourne character can fight in the books, escapes and spots traps well. But, he has a LOT of spycraft as well, and is nicknamed The Chameleon for his ability to fit in anywhere and be unnoticed (partly because he is particularly average looking).

He gets his memory mostly back by end of 1st movie, and actually goes back to the fold of 'the good guys'. 2nd and third books go more into pursuing Carlos, and trying to capture him, after Carlos wrecks Bourne's 'new' life as a student.

Oddly, the books would make great movies.

Last edited:

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sounds interesting. I didn't know they were books tbh.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think G Butler as an older Bond would be cool. Use that to kinda introduce another character to hand off to down the road. It might avoid the 'beat to death' character syndrome...

gerard-butler.jpg

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sounds interesting. I didn't know they were books tbh.
Written by a fairly prolific spy and espionage novelist Robert Ludlum. If you like that genre done well, I recommend his Bourne novels.

NOW, they had other writers write further novels after his death on the Bourne character (not as good imho)

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I heard Daniel Craig is coming back as Bond, James Bond

PeteK

Reaction score
If Ralph Fiennes wasn't already in the Bond movies, he'd make a good Bond. But he's a bit older so he'd be more like the Pierce Brosnan type of Bond. Less likely to kick you ass, but more likely to nail your wife.

Plus he was hilarious in In Bruges. "Don't be stupid, this is the shootout!" :laugh2:

Benjammin

Reaction score
Iron Man, the character is 54 years old. HE has a similar establishment, tradition and legacy. He, is now a She, a Late Teenaged Woman of color now in the Comic Books. Thor, is a year older, and is now also a she.

Just saying, there IS a diversity/inclusion at all costs 'movement' out there that coopts existing, long-running characters, primarily white male ones, to be more diverse, INSTEAD of creating new, viable, good, diverse characters.

If I was into comic books, that would turn me off comics books :laugh2:

I agree with your point, but as others noted, I'm not really sure Idris is being considered for the part out of some Affirmative Action deal. On paper he has the main criteria covered, and judging by this thread, there are many in the Bond community who are into keen on the idea

But yeah, diversity at all costs. I didn't mind casting Jeffrey Wright as Felix, it's a minor character and he's a cool actor and there's been non-white Felixs before. I didn't mind casting Naomi Harris as Moneypenny, because I like her, and it was cool to see that character as young and active in the field (even if she almost killed Bond). But Bond too? How about the Queen next?

If they are going for a new audience, and I'm the old audience, I guess that's why the whole thing irks me. I was very displeased with the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman. I didn't like it, but I gave it a chance (saw it on a plane, and never wanted to walk out of a movie so bad in my life). I love Batman and grew up with the character, but now they're not making those movies for me anymore

sigh

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The biggest complaint I've read about the New Iron (wo)Man is that she is the textbook definition of a Mary Sue. Just the greatest at everything. They didn't even keep the old Tony Stark around as a mentor because she doesn't need him, she's better at everything than he ever was.

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Captain Marvel,...all been replaced...

1.jpg
2.jpg
390594-11884-american-dream.jpg
download.jpg

And if you complain and say this is BS agenda and there has ALWAYS been powerful women in the Marvel Universe and there's no need to start replacing all the men with women, ...you're just a Hater and a Misogynist.

really I hate this crap, and I've seen it coming for years but everyone said I was nuts until it's too late.

Comics, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, the link in the OP with the 'Women Who'd Make a Great 007' for no reason...pretty much everything now is taken over.

Men (especially white men) have become the villains and the buffoons of seemingly every type of media. Pushed out of movies, music, comics, tv shows, and now the SJWs are trying to push them out of the Tech and Gaming industry.

..I'm about ready to move to China. :laugh2:

it's incredible what a small but very LOUD minority have been able to accomplish.

And when Robert Downey Jr and them quit and Marvel reboots The Avengers? I almost guarantee it'll be the all-female Avengers. (there's always been She-Hulk so that's a given.)

Last edited:

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
A black Bond would be something different
Yeah that's the PC pressure.
I think he'd make a good Bond though and (despite the positive racism aspect) answer everyone who's been calling for it.
And a precedent has (kind of) been set with Irish, Scottish, and Canadian Bonds.
Please God no Welsh Bonds though..., not with a Valleys accent anyway!

:D

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know who read comics with the exception of one guy, has said, "Fck this Sht,..I'm out." and quit buying them.

Some of these guys had been buying them for like 30+ years.

Latest Threads