“What advice would you give to your younger self?”

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I saw that question in an interview, and it’s always a retarded answer. They give some bullshit inane answer, somewhat akin to beauty pageant contestants wishing for whirled peas.
I wouldn’t tell myself nuthin.
Figure it out yourself, little bitch. I had to.
Although, I’m half-tempted to Biff it and give him a sports almanac just to watch money corrupt me as a person.
:naughty:

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Yeah...

I can’t think of a single thing I could tell my younger self that:
(a) my younger self would have taken any notice of; or
(b) that would make any difference today.

I‘ve made plenty of mistakes in life, bad calls, etc, but I’m not sure that the road I took didn’t also lead to the many good things I’ve got out of life.

cheers.

toymaker

Reaction score
I think your on the right track...life's hard, sometimes you gotta experience it for yourself and not rely on the wisdom of others...even if they turned out to be right.

When I was 18 - I was all set to head off to the military...I knew what I was, lower middle class, rural white kid with no preparation for college...why waste my parents hard earned cash and incur a crushing ton of debt - when uncle Sam had paying jobs open.

Then at my graduation party I sat down with a lifer 2 years out of the Air Force - Basically told me how they screwed him over after 22 years of dedicated service and convinced me in the course of 2 hours I'd be making a mistake.

In a way I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't gotten that advice....might have went in, loved it and been out before we wound up back in the middle east following 9/11.

Instead I went off and made my own path..my choices were find my own way - or take a job in the deep mines working as scab labor (wasnt an option- my old man was a union member and while alot of people had kids who took the only decent paying job around...I couldn't do that to him).

My own path found me doing whatever it took to make a buck - playing college bookie, starting a coupon ring, and building a cottage industry out of servicing bars and small shops with whatever their customers needed. For a good 10 years - I lived like a king and wanted for nothing...then 1 day I just felt I was missing out on a normal life - and walked away.

Normal life sucked, but it has its advantages too...most of the people I knew from the old days are gone...it always catches up to you.

That said - I guarantee I had more fun than I would have playing soldier. So I guess I made the right choice...of course I will tell my son go marines if he ask in a few years....Hopefully he's got his shit straight and does what HE WANTS - whatever it may be.

socialhero

Reaction score
You’re not gonna make it as a rock star.

The backup plan strategy worked, you just took 10 years too long to do it. Fix that.

Also invest in companies with stupid names, like Amazon, Uber, and AirBnB.

But I think this hits the mark pretty squarely:

I can’t think of a single thing I could tell my younger self that:
(a) my younger self would have taken any notice of
Younger me was arrogant as fuck. He’d just make a more pissed off current me for not listening - and probably would have doubled down on the things that didn’t work.

Just like an MLP sock. What a Goober. :laugh2:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
“Go ahead and ask that Varsity jock’s girlfriend out. It’ll be worth the beating!
In fact, both beatings, because he’ll probably want to beat you as well!”
Holy shit....
That almost happened to me.
There were these chicks that were probably 8’s, but being identical twins made them 11’s. One of them let out word that she thought I was cute. That’s all. That was my only offense.
Anyway, she was dating the Nose Tackle on our CIF football team.
Fuckin high school, man. Why do people do it to themselves?

Anyway, I came out of the water once, and right when I put my board on top of my car, I saw him and some friends in the next parking row. I had a few friends with me talking, and a few others probably would have showed if needed. (Pismo used to have a pretty tight crew....)
I was like welp, might as well get this over with....
I didn’t walk up to him, but walked past him to the coffee shop and said what’s up. He kinda nodded so I pushed it.
“We’re cool, right?”
“Yeah.”
I kept walking.
End of story.

I’ve seen some gross stains on the pavement in that lot.
Glad I didn’t become one.
:)

Latest Threads