“We’re not selling cars.” No More Model Years!

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
as long as they put a serial on the back, how are they getting away from a model year?
Take the SG Standard as an example. In the '90s and 2000s, it was pretty much unchanged from year to year. If you bought a 2001 or a 2005, it was pretty much the same guitar. Now, it DID have a year associated with the serial number so they were technically different years but identical models.

If you bought a 2001 and a 2005 Honda Civic, you were getting 2 different cars. This is kind of the way Henry was running things the last few years where he had to reinvent certain models each year just "because". The new philosophy seems to be "This is the Les Paul Standard and it still will be next year, and the year after, and the year after, etc...".

Alexb1090

Reaction score
Take the SG Standard as an example. In the '90s and 2000s, it was pretty much unchanged from year to year. If you bought a 2001 or a 2005, it was pretty much the same guitar. Now, it DID have a year associated with the serial number so they were technically different years but identical models.

If you bought a 2001 and a 2005 Honda Civic, you were getting 2 different cars. This is kind of the way Henry was running things the last few years where he had to reinvent certain models each year just "because". The new philosophy seems to be "This is the Les Paul Standard and it still will be next year, and the year after, and the year after, etc...".
It’ll be good for people that can’t afford to just go out and buy on release. You can’t look at a guitar and consider saving up for one knowing it’ll be out of production this time next year, replaced by some new crazy idea

Dilver

Reaction score
When pointing to the Junior: “I even love that you even got the tuners right as well”.... “and that was the whole point; to stay true to the historical spec...” Uhhh... no.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score

but most people don't buy a new car every year. A LOT of guys here buy guitars every year. If I knew that this year's models were all I was going to see for 3-4 years, I'll just go ahead and check out on any potential GAS. But if there was potential for new models next year, I'd keep my ears open. I won't argue that G and HJ didn't do some really stupid stuff the last few years, but they also made some really great models as well and if you never try, you'll never know.

Last edited:

AK Epi Player

Reaction score
When pointing to the Junior: “I even love that you even got the tuners right as well”.... “and that was the whole point; to stay true to the historical spec...” Uhhh... no.
I kinda scratched my head on that myself, they look just like the ones on my 2012 Junior... :hmm:

Mosster47

Reaction score
I seriously had lost all interest in Gibson years ago, especially the USA stuff. I bought one Traditional Satin Mahogany in 2012 because it was rare and a one year thing.

I will definitely get one of the new Juniors though. The Standard with P-90's looks good too.

Dilver

Reaction score
I seriously had lost all interest in Gibson years ago, especially the USA stuff. I bought one Traditional Satin Mahogany in 2012 because it was rare and a one year thing.

I will definitely get one of the new Juniors though. The Standard with P-90's looks good too.
Do it. The 2018 Junior is great. I did have to do some light fretboard sanding and pulled the circuitboard/pots out for a standard harness. Wondering if the 2019 Juniors will still have the circuitboard.

Mosster47

Reaction score
Does anyone have a ballpark on what the new TV yellow Special will cost?

mrfett

Gibson AF
Reaction score
Do it. The 2018 Junior is great. I did have to do some light fretboard sanding and pulled the circuitboard/pots out for a standard harness. Wondering if the 2019 Juniors will still have the circuitboard.
No circuitboards in the new Core series. All orange caps and 500k pots.

irocdave12

Reaction score
If there is not going to be model years, does that mean no more year end discounts to move out the last years models?
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to pick up a left over HP les Paul or SG for a song soon enough as I don't think too many of them sold past couple years

mrfett

Gibson AF
Reaction score
No 250k pots is what they were saying in the NAMM vids.

your idol

Reaction score
I think they really just meant asthetically with the white oval tipped tuners. Had they really been historic and done inline open back tuners thats cheap so a win for them but basically totally impractical. I think they just want to keep the vibe alive and the person they had out there as the talking head is just regurgitating what someone in a board room said. Honest mistake but im glad they did those closed back non spec tuners just for accuracy of tuning alone. From the 2018 jr to the 2019 jr they fixed the gibson logo back to the normal one from the weird cursive one no one wanted and I keep seeing knobs switched to the all black hats vs the silver satellites.

This guy doesnt know the difference but looking at the changes SOMEONE who makes big decisions there has our back and knows whats up with the details that make a difference. Im with that!

RicOkc

Reaction score
Still leaving off the pointers for the volume & tone controls.

mrfett

Gibson AF
Reaction score
going to stick up for Cesar and say what should be obvious. When speaking about the new “Core” lineup, talking about “original spec” in the vernacular is an appropriate way to explain their decision-making. Jrs have plastic oval tuner buttons, a thicker neck, a single dog-eared P-90 and often a dark burst nitro finish.

This discussion wasn’t about the Historic line and wasn’t in the context of OCD forumites discussing neck tenons and lacquer composition.

There is no indication that any decisions are being made in a boardroom and then regurgitated by a stiff executive. Cesar has a larger Gibson collection than almost everyone here and doesn’t need anyone to explain to him what a vintage-spec Gibson should look like.

IMO we should appreciate that Gibson is now being run by guitar nerds. Hopefully JC can simultaneously execute deft business practices so their reign lasts a good long time.

At this stage, our usual contemptuous, cheeky assertions of bone-headed Harvard Business school-influenced bean-counting has no place. Of course not everyone is going to be happy about a return-to-basics; somewhere I’m sure there’s a Firebird X owner in tears that their beloved instrument will never experience a Phoenix-like rebirth. Until these guys screw up though, I’m going to be on-record as relieved they have control.

Last edited:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
What disappoints me, and what appears to be the one big glitch, is they appear to be using the same incorrect pickguard on the SG Junior as they did last year. Kinda kills the hype for that model for me.

grayd8

Reaction score
If I buy anything this year, it’s going to be an SG with sideways maestro.

Latest Threads