“Inspired by Gibson” Hummingbird, anyone have one?

monstruo_loco

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I received a promo email on this and other IBG Gibson acoustics, and immediately thought about the possibility of having it as a lesser expensive Hummingbird copy for times playing in less secure places doing acoustic sets not wanting to use a more expensive Gibson model, and especially would like to hear from anyone who has both.
One concern that I’d have would be the neck profile since for both acoustics and electrics I prefer a fuller profile especially when playing for an extended time, and another would be electronics since I’d be using a direct box into a PA system.
Any input appreciated!

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Recently I received a promo email on this and other IBG Gibson acoustics, and immediately thought about the possibility of having it as a lesser expensive Hummingbird copy for times playing in less secure places doing acoustic sets not wanting to use a more expensive Gibson model, and especially would like to hear from anyone who has both.
One concern that I’d have would be the neck profile since for both acoustics and electrics I prefer a fuller profile especially when playing for an extended time, and another would be electronics since I’d be using a direct box into a PA system.
Any input appreciated!

This probably won't be helpful, but I do NOT have an inspired by Gibson acoustic but my grandfather has a 99 Epiphone hummingbird, and I have a 2014 Epiphone dive pro. For hummingbird, the biggest difference will be the neck profile. Epiphones famous flat neck profile I found is mainly for people who play with their thumb mostly on the back of the neck. It takes a little getting used to, but it is possible. The dive pro I've found has a fatter neck profile and is 25.5 fender scale. Hummingbird is standard Gibson. I don't have a Gibson hummingbird to compare it to, but I have played a vintage Gibson j-50, and playability on both is excellent with a properly fitted saddle, (if this is too high you can always sand it a little at a time) and they were both very resonant. I've also found that I really favor Martin's acoustic strings. Believe it or not, I think the best strings come from about a decade or more ago. Strings that have been sitting that long for some reason have a 12 string like tone. Decade old unopened packed rusted spots on em, but they sound brilliant. I put a Martin set on the hummingbird and for 2-3 weeks I promise you had that tone right as you put a new pair of Ernie balls on. (I like Ernie's tone but not the fact that they have a slippery coating or that the sound dies after a few days. But anyway hope this helps. It's really a difference in headstocks and neck profile.

monstruo_loco

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This probably won't be helpful, but I do NOT have an inspired by Gibson acoustic but my grandfather has a 99 Epiphone hummingbird, and I have a 2014 Epiphone dive pro. For hummingbird, the biggest difference will be the neck profile. Epiphones famous flat neck profile I found is mainly for people who play with their thumb mostly on the back of the neck. It takes a little getting used to, but it is possible. The dive pro I've found has a fatter neck profile and is 25.5 fender scale. Hummingbird is standard Gibson. I don't have a Gibson hummingbird to compare it to, but I have played a vintage Gibson j-50, and playability on both is excellent with a properly fitted saddle, (if this is too high you can always sand it a little at a time) and they were both very resonant. I've also found that I really favor Martin's acoustic strings. Believe it or not, I think the best strings come from about a decade or more ago. Strings that have been sitting that long for some reason have a 12 string like tone. Decade old unopened packed rusted spots on em, but they sound brilliant. I put a Martin set on the hummingbird and for 2-3 weeks I promise you had that tone right as you put a new pair of Ernie balls on. (I like Ernie's tone but not the fact that they have a slippery coating or that the sound dies after a few days. But anyway hope this helps. It's really a difference in headstocks and neck profile.
Great information, and I’ve looked at Doves and J-45s along with other Gibson models so I appreciate the information on the different neck profiles.
Thanks!

wallyguitar

Reaction score
I have one and really dig it. I also have a Martin Custom Shop "Wildwood Custom" D-28 and a very nice 1999 Taylor 410 so I have some very nice acoustics to compare too. The Hummingbird plays and sounds really good. The sound and projection is impressive. I think they are a very good deal for $800.00. I actually like the Hummingbird so much I think I'm going to grab the J-45 too. The setup out of the box was great and only required a slight tweak of the truss rod. I changed the factory Gibson strings for Elixir Nano web Phosphor Bronze. I too bought this for Jams where I don't want to beat up my Martin and it fits the bill perfectly.

monstruo_loco

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one and really dig it. I also have a Martin Custom Shop "Wildwood Custom" D-28 and a very nice 1999 Taylor 410 so I have some very nice acoustics to compare too. The Hummingbird plays and sounds really good. The sound and projection is impressive. I think they are a very good deal for $800.00. I actually like the Hummingbird so much I think I'm going to grab the J-45 too. The setup out of the box was great and only required a slight tweak of the truss rod. I changed the factory Gibson strings for Elixir Nano web Phosphor Bronze. I too bought this for Jams where I don't want to beat up my Martin and it fits the bill perfectly.

Thank you! Appreciate your reply and favorable review of this, this is what I was looking for and I only have one question regarding the neck thickness & profile on your particular guitar, not asking for a measurement but any description would be appreciated.

wallyguitar

Reaction score
I've played 2 Hummingbirds and 1 J 45 and the necks all felt the same to me. I'm not good at describing neck profiles but to me they are rounded (not asymetrical) and substantial. Not thin. Very comfortable to me but YMMV.

monstruo_loco

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played 2 Hummingbirds and 1 J 45 and the necks all felt the same to me. I'm not good at describing neck profiles but to me they are rounded (not asymetrical) and substantial. Not thin. Very comfortable to me but YMMV.
Appreciate it, that helps - thanks again!

jc2000

Reaction score
I really like the "inspired by Gibson" line of Epiphones. Have not played any yet but they look great

Latest Threads