“Charveled” Fender or real Charvel?

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi

I have been looking locally for a Charvel so hard in the past months (may be even over a year) with no success.. so I decided to make my own Charvel..

I replaced pickguard of my American Special fender with HS pickguard... Dimarzio Super Distortion and Red Velvet... next upgrade is going to be a Vega-Trem to replace the vintage tremolo and give the performance and feel of a Floyd Rose.... BUT... A Charvel has popped locally.. Promod San Dimas in Charcoal Grey finish and ebony fretboard.. Made in Mexico..

So I started to re-question upgrading the Fender.. I can sell it and get the real Charvel.. but I have the following question in my mind.. wishing to get your thoughts about

Will I lose the USA quality when I go from MIA fender to MIM Charvel?

This is my “Charveled” Fender:
B23BE94C-67F8-47BD-8648-EB2D6039B5E2.jpeg

And this is the listed Charvel:
01299197-D662-41DA-A497-599BB73543D0.jpeg

tzd

Reaction score
Hi Mockbel, if you really want a guitar with a Floyd Rose, get the Charvel.

I have 3 USA Fenders, and 3 MIM Charvels. I hardly play my Fenders anymore ever since I got my Charvels. But definitely get your hands on the Charvel to try out before you buy to make sure you like how it feels. The three Charvels that I have each have a very different neck profile.

bad565ss

Reaction score
The other huge difference will be the neck.
The Charvel is compound radius 12" to 16"
and will feel faster and bends will be easier.

NHDave

Reaction score
The mim charvels are not bad. I have a hard tail. Dig it. Not sure I’d love em at 700-800 but they’re a solid bang for the buck at price points below (used market or a good discount new).

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
MIM Fender....

Play a real Charvel some time if you can find one... as in Wayne Charvel before he sold the name....

hbucker

Reaction score
IMO, quality is less of an issue (if an issue at all) compared to which guitar feels right and does what you want it to do.

A "quality" USA guitar that doesn't feel or perform to your desires isn't quality at all if you prefer a MIM guitar and actually bond with it.

Anymore, the whole USA vs MIM quality difference is a bit of a 20+ year old throwback conversation. Mexico has been putting out decent quality for years now. In fact I believe the Mexican products are often routed differently (a little more crudely) simply so people can tell them apart from the USA versions. Not because they are inherently worse parts.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
All I can tell you is that Charvel's neck, if it's anything like mean, feels great.

MIM Fender....

Play a real Charvel some time if you can find one... as in Wayne Charvel before he sold the name....
Charvel didn't start making guitars until after Wayne sold the company to Jackson. Before that they were just a repair shop that specialized in hot rodding guitars, and would make some guitars put together from Boogie Bodies, Dimarzio and Schecter parts. Charvel sold the company to Grover Jackson in 1978, who quickly cut a deal with DiMarzio to manufacture bodies for them. This cash flow let Grover invest in tooling to start making necks, which got the first true Charvel-made guitars built about a year after Wayne took off

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regardless of who made the necks, the necks on those were killer, even if Schecter necks...

Schecter parts were da cheeze back then....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early Charvel, Jackson RR 'spike guitar', and almost any Hamer especially the 'flags', were some of the best necks made to me....

I hated the spike but when I unboxed em and check the necks back then, I was dumbfounded by the necks...

Never was a fan of the Hamer 'flag' bodies but the necks (IMHO) were superior to Gibs... They were the traditional feeling necks.... Jacksons, Charvels, were a bit more out there... I didn't care for the unfinished maple though...it could look rank very quickly...

Moonstones had about the more effortless necks on the planet to me, but felt odd at first.... A Lester ain't heavy compared to some Moonstone burls...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean had good necks except for the Babys.... Didn't like those....
Guild Bluesbirds had great necks...

Jackson necks were spectacular... I think the spikes were like 16s in ebony...

Caretaker

Reaction score
Save and hunt.
Get a REAL Charvel or Jackson.
You WON`T be sorry.

FKO

Reaction score
Early Charvel (MIA) were "mostly" custom ordered. All the early charvel i've had/played had different neck profile. Therefore, if i can't try or know the spec of neck, i won't bother looking into them.

Floyd Rose wasn't unique to Charvel, therefore, changing V trem to a Floyd won't make your Fender "feels" like Charvel.

I've not played the "newer" MIM Charvel, but the MIA and Custom Shop (dealer run) since FMIC took over were ok.

Deftone

Reaction score
My '86 Model 3 bought brand new at Clarksville Music when I was stationed at Ft Campbell... (sold it)

Charvel 001.jpg

My '86 Model 2 with a Floyd....

54771-1359298534-6bc145e2fdcbc7641dcbc15e9a6f0fdf.jpg

USA Charvel neck on a Mahogany body...

IMG_2032a.JPG

Latest Threads