‘Hired Gun’

doitforvangogh

Reaction score
Great doc. Even my wife enjoyed it.

One of the best parts is there was no Dave Grohl content. Which is amazing since he finds a way to weasel his way in and on everything.

TheWGuitar

Reaction score
Very enjoyable documentary. I really enjoyed some of the jams between the people that were profiled in the movie. That one jam with Liberty Devitto and Kenny Aronoff drumming together with everybody...that was pretty killer.

We've all heard some things about Billy Joel....but seriously? What an ass. I'm really glad that Liberty took the high road on that issue, and just moved on. He seems like a really pleasant person to be in a band with. And has some serious chops too.

Thanks to Steve Lukather and Jay Graydon, now I know that if I'm struggling on a song, and can't quite get something worked out, just go take a poop. :rofl::laugh2::laugh2:
I laughed loud enough to wake my wife up in the other room last night when they told that story.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Watched it last night, really enjoyed it! Cool hearing the backstory from everyone. Some absolutely monster players.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I never liked Billy Joel. My son will tell you that whenever he comes on the radio, I change the channel and say "Oh, I thought this was a rock n' roll station." I mean no disrespect toward his professional capabilities, the guy has been amazingly successful. However, he sounds like a real POS.

I became a big FFDP fan, long ago, when they were not well known. Those guys are gasoline on a fire. It has been fun to watch them earn their accolades.

The best 'new' music I have heard in the last three years has been Five Finger Death Punch (first heard them driving south on I-95 in Maine a couple years ago).July 10, 2011

Last edited:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Netflix dropped “Hired Gun”

film about session musicians
... we’re all familiar with :)

Worthy watch - 4 stars!
Finally watched it last night. Now I understand why I never cared for Billy Joel. Its one thing to be bitter over losing millions, but to screw over the loyal friends that help you make it to begin with, is pretty low.

Thanks for sharing 1Fretless. :thumb:

kfowler8

Reaction score
Also watched it last night with the wife. We both really enjoyed it. I found it fascinating. Seemed like they focused more on the the touring hired gun vs. the studio musician. Would have liked to have seen more of that piece.

What I learned:
- Billy Joel is a complete prick
- Guy from Filter also came off as a prick
- Alice Cooper seems like a genuinely good guy. I always thought that but he confirmed it
- I'm not cut out for the hired gun lifestyle. I couldn't take the uncertainty of income. Kudos to those guys for powering through

TheWGuitar

Reaction score
- Guy from Filter also came off as a prick
Yeah I totally thought that too. After his little speech, I thought to myself "Who gets invited into a band (not being a co-founder, but being invited once it's established, to help tour), and pretty much immediately gets pissy, because they didn't get promoted to 50% partner in ownership and songwriting duties?!"

That guy apparently.

I liked Trent Reznor's response. "Well, get off your ass and write an album!" :laugh2:

kfowler8

Reaction score
Yeah I totally thought that too. After his little speech, I thought to myself "Who gets invited into a band (not being a co-founder, but being invited once it's established, to help tour), and pretty much immediately gets pissy, because they didn't get promoted to 50% partner in ownership and songwriting duties?!"

That guy apparently.

I liked Trent Reznor's response. "Well, get off your ass and write an album!" :laugh2:
I had some empathy for him when he was talking about how little he was paid compared to other bands. But then he seemed to take how he was treated and then think that's how he should treat everyone else.

ballou48

Reaction score
I watched it the other day. It was worthy.
Billy Joel sounds like a d*ck though..
Billy Joel isn't a dick, he's a businessman who made calculated decisions. It's the same with Pro Sports. Sometimes players, as with musicians lose their chops as they grow older.
Sometimes personalities clash etc. It's not one happy family as a lot of players think. Decisions have to be made for the good of the team. It's a harsh world in Pro-Sports as well as Pro-music. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Deal with it.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
Billy Joel isn't a dick, he's a businessman who made calculated decisions. It's the same with Pro Sports. Sometimes players, as with musicians lose their chops as they grow older.
Sometimes personalities clash etc. It's not one happy family as a lot of players think. Decisions have to be made for the good of the team. It's a harsh world in Pro-Sports as well as Pro-music. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Deal with it.
He didn't let his drummer on a plane ride home with him, so the guy didn't get to see his family on Easter break. He's a dick.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
He should try whining to Ronnie Wood, who spent 20 years as a salaried employee before the Stones made him a partner. I doubt he'll get much sympathy.

TheWGuitar

Reaction score
Hey, Mandy Moore fired her band too. And that would bother me more than getting fired by Billy Joel.

Her and I are only 3 years and some change apart. And I'll be honest. When I was a teenager going into 20s, when her "music career" was happening, I really didn't think anything about her. Then she disappeared.

Then I saw a preview for "This is Us" on NBC, and thought "Who is that woman? she is beautiful!"

<google>

THAT'S frickin' MANDY MOORE?!?!?!?! :wow::wow::wow::wow:

Yeah.....she's definitely aging like a fine wine.

Unlike Billy Joel. :laugh2:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Amazing what a little plastic surgery and a good makeup crew can do.

Reactions: Who

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
If you like that you should love this.

Full, hour long interview with Carol Kaye.

Latest Threads